Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Yazid Powell (JUCO SO PG)

Jeseph

1 minute ago, trueblue32 said:

He shot 32% from 3 in double the sample size this year. You’re looking at last years stats.

Jeenathan shot 31% from 3 his sophomore year. Gabe Grant shot 39% from 3 his sophomore year in JUCO.

Hyper focusing on small sample 3 point shooting isn’t a wise way to evaluate a player

Improvement. Hopefully that trend continues. We can’t kid ourselves here, in todays basketball, you need to be able to hit the 3. But that aside, on paper he seems to be a solid player. Can never have enough guards. And guards win in March. 

4 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Improvement. Hopefully that trend continues. We can’t kid ourselves here, in todays basketball, you need to be able to hit the 3. But that aside, on paper he seems to be a solid player. Can never have enough guards. And guards win in March. 

Yes shooting matters, but Kansas is starting a PG making 0.5 3s per game. Akron won the MAC starting a 6’1” SG who made 6 3s all year. Davonta Jordan was the PG on our best teams and he was known for air balling free throws. Team composition rules all. Obviously that’s very much up in the air right now, but I don’t think Powell shooting 32% is a big concern at this point 

2 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Yes shooting matters, but Kansas is starting a PG making 0.5 3s per game. Akron won the MAC starting a 6’1” SG who made 6 3s all year. Davonta Jordan was the PG on our best teams and he was known for air balling free throws. Team composition rules all. Obviously that’s very much up in the air right now, but I don’t think Powell shooting 32% is a big concern at this point 

I’ll just counter the Kansas point by pointing to Carolina. Who have been crushing it from 3 in the tournament. Led by Love, Davis and Manek. Also Kansas made like 15 3s against Nova. As for Jordan, he had other to make 3s…CJ, Harris and Perk. Bringing this all to the Whitesell era, we’ve struggled to find shooters. Allowing defenses to pack in the paint. And we’ve been easily guarded due to our dependence on iso ball. Being able to shoot matters. I’m not knocking the kid. And I don’t think he is a concern. And to your point about composition…Whitesell now needs to find wing players who can space the floor. Allowing Powell to do what he does best. Allowing our bigs to eat inside.

39 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Exciting. Hoping he can have even half the career this guy did, but I get Davonta vibes from Powell. Same size, maybe a little less athletic but close, great slashing ability, and reportedly a dog on D. If the shooting can continue to develop, looks like we got a guy today. I like that he has two years of eligibility, can contribute right away and also improve in his time here.

He might have 3, should still be Covid year eligibility. I’m excited that he seems to like playing D and generating turnovers. This could be a solid piece to our new jigsaw puzzle. 

1 minute ago, UBinMD said:

He might have 3, should still be Covid year eligibility. I’m excited that he seems to like playing D and generating turnovers. This could be a solid piece to our new jigsaw puzzle. 

Do you get that if you played Juco tho? I thought it was only for current players.

I will echo fact that I like his defensive stats and I welcome any defense he brings this coming year.  As for what to expect offensively, here are two years (2018-2019) worth of JUCO100 rankings from 30-39 and stats for first year in D1 to give rough idea of potential.  I have bolded players who played in conferences closer to the MAC:

image.png.b8ebf7af3ad44ff27a694f639622f2e9.png

Median PPG would be in 5.5-6.5 ppg range, if he brings defensive intensity and scores 6+ points - I think a solid addition to the roster.  Of course, it will come down to what he does on the court.

Edit adding another recent MAC player who was ranked from 30-39,

image.png.7d5bbf653b1bf3b3921f8753a08f6b94.png

Edited by DocCas86
  • Thanks 2

An encouraging get. He’s not really a 3 point shooter WHICH IS FINE BY ME. But I love his confidence to slash to the rim. We really need a finisher and I think that’s will pay off. Always an encouraging sign to see someone who is a good free throw shooter as well. Also love the fact that he can rebound as well. And the fact that he plays strong defense is encouraging. A good start for sure.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

An encouraging get. He’s not really a 3 point shooter WHICH IS FINE BY ME. But I love his confidence to slash to the rim. We really need a finisher and I think that’s will pay off. Always an encouraging sign to see someone who is a good free throw shooter as well. Also love the fact that he can rebound as well. And the fact that he plays strong defense is encouraging. A good start for sure.

Feels like the kind of player we were missing last year. Hopefully we can get him some help along with our freshman and sophomores 

On 4/5/2022 at 1:58 PM, mikescherrer8 said:

Will definitely need some three point shooting in the class.