Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Rob Lanier

Chet

16 minutes ago, Chet said:

Per Jon Rothstein, SMU is closing in on hiring Georgia State's Rob Lanier as its next head basketball coach. Incredible!

I guess if he came here and took us to the tournament we would be back in the same spot. I guess we should get a booster base that can pony up $500k-$1 million for coach to be named. Just get the next rising coach, keep them 2-3 years then bring in the next. Hopefully we can recruit players that are cool with temporary coaches. Seems like a lot of MAC coaches hang around a while even if they don’t win anything. Others like Ohio, etc are taking the leap knowing they will lose the guy, probably next year in that case. It puts a huge burden on the AD, but I think that may be the only way to sustain at the mid-major level. Ala Hurley and Oats, you almost need to stock you assistant coaches with the “next one” if you can harness that, but it’s a major commitment from some mastermind.

• Like 2

I give credit to Lanier and his team for winning when it counted.  

There must be more to Lanier than his won loss record. His win percent in conference was decent at .630  vs .685 for preceding three years under Ron Hunter.  Here is a real question, can someone provide other evidence supporting Lanier would have had us to NCAA at least once in past three years.  I want to understand what people are seeing x and o wise from Lanier that they feel would have guaranteed a trip to NCAA in 3 years if he had been our coach.  This is not a defense of Whitesell, I am trying to get a better understanding beyond the numbers.

Edited by DocCas86

SMU is not a major program, but they probably doubled his salary to about $1mm and he's gone. It's the reality of mid majors with coaches cashing in. I absolutely dispise it all, but it's the reality. You get what you pay for in most cases and we are getting what we are paying for with Coach Whitesell. Mark Alnutt and his team needs to make fundraising and sponsorship their priority. Why haven't naming rights been sold to Alumni and UB stadium? Would love to know fundraising dollars for our athletics program compared to others (especially the MAC). 

Edited by Chet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Chet said:

SMU is not a major program, but they probably doubled his salary to about $1mm and he's gone. It's the reality of mid majors with coaches cashing in. I absolutely dispise it all, but it's the reality. You get what you pay for in most cases and we are getting what we are paying for with Coach Whitesell. Mark Alnutt and his team needs to make fundraising and sponsorship their priority. Why haven't naming rights been sold to Alumni and UB stadium? Would love to know fundraising dollars for our athletics program compared to others (especially the MAC). 

They have been available for years.  No one has stepped up to pay what they are looking to get for the naming rights.

Want to put your name on something: http://bullsbwf.com/facility-naming-opportunities-2/

One other point on the money needed for anything.  If you donate, thank you and you are part of the solution.  If you do not donate and complain about a lack of money for anything in Athletics or any other part of UB you have two things to do. The first is look in the mirror, then either write a check or stop complaining.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

They have been available for years.  No one has stepped up to pay what they are looking to get for the naming rights.

Want to put your name on something: http://bullsbwf.com/facility-naming-opportunities-2/

One other point on the money needed for anything.  If you donate, thank you and you are part of the solution.  If you do not donate and complain about a lack of money for anything in Athletics or any other part of UB you have two things to do. The first is look in the mirror, then either write a check or stop complaining.

I have already earmarked a portion of any future lottery winnings (assuming I hit for $50 million+) to UB Athletics, so I'm doing my part! 🤘🏼🤘🏼

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

Is UB proactively reaching out to large companies/ corporations to try and strike a naming rights deal? Or are they waiting for alumni to make a large donation to name a facility after themselves? 

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Was the right hire at the time for UB and recommended to the team per my info inside the Tennessee program

So did Alnutt not offer Lanier a high enough salary? Did Alnutt choose Whitesell over Lanier? Did Lanier choose Georgia St over UB?

On 3/26/2022 at 8:23 AM, Chet said:

I'm not sure how I'd categorize SMU Hoops. They are not a top-tier program, but they really aren't a mid major either.

There's no reason why SMU can't be a great hoops program. Dallas is one of the best and fastest-growing hoops recruiting areas in the country. Add in the fact they have a nice arena and great practice facility, and you could see why they have the ability to be better than they have been in the past.

SMU spends more on hoops than Rutgers, Seton Hall, Dayton, Xavier, Georgia Tech and Oklahoma State to name a few.

I have to imagine SMU will be amongst those invited to the Big 12 should they expand again 5-10 years down the road. 

They have all the intangibles you want in a program, but for whatever reason the results haven't been there.

• 1 year later...
19 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

Fired after just 2 years at SMU. Won 10 games last year and 20 this year. Lost to Indiana State in first round of NIT. 

Seems odd to be dumped after doubling your wins in year 2 with a program.  Maybe there’s more to the story?  Or are their standards so high at SMU that they expect a coach to take them to the NCAAs and win a game in his 2nd year at the helm, when they haven’t been to the Dance since 2016-17.  So much for having a little  patience, huh?

6 hours ago, Tee4three said:

He was fired? That's kinda wild to me

Something must be a foot

Maybe moving up in conference is the real reason 

That would be my guess. Moving up a conference, they figure they get can “someone better”. 20 wins used to be a gold standard, but with as many games as they play now, that’s barely over .500. I assume he will get another shot somewhere.

• Like 1