Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Skogman to the Portal

Obviously this is bad news

But to look positively we have heard that williams and segu are turning pro, maybe mballa is seriously considering a return? 

Maybe this is also more a reflection of the teams style going forward and skogman sees himself better suited for a different style. Maybe its a return to more small ball with 3 guard line ups and a smaller player at the 5

With that said hope he returns

11 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I thought being a Bills and Sabres fan was bad. It's getting really hard to invest in UB sports if every time you start getting good, your program gets picked apart. These new rules are going to kill mid-major schools.  You're better off in FCS.

Because FCS doesn’t have a transfer portal? Or because FCS schools have different rules for basketball transfers than FBS schools?

2 hours ago, promotherobot said:

I thought being a Bills and Sabres fan was bad. It's getting really hard to invest in UB sports if every time you start getting good, your program gets picked apart. These new rules are going to kill mid-major schools.  You're better off in FCS.

Sad but true. Programs like ours are going to consistently lose coaches if we have any success, and players whether we have success or not. I'm not sure why people are so shocked at Skogman exploring his options. Almost every peer program of ours regularly loses quality players. There isn't much the coach can do about it when the big boys start nibbling around the edges of our roster. Frankly, it was a miracle that Whitesell and Co. were able to keep Jeenathan, Rondo, and Mballa here for 3 seasons after Oats skipped town. 

14 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Sad but true. Programs like ours are going to consistently lose coaches if we have any success, and players whether we have success or not. I'm not sure why people are so shocked at Skogman exploring his options. Almost every peer program of ours regularly loses quality players. There isn't much the coach can do about it when the big boys start nibbling around the edges of our roster. Frankly, it was a miracle that Whitesell and Co. were able to keep Jeenathan, Rondo, and Mballa here for 3 seasons after Oats skipped town. 

By all accounts, Whitesell remains a well respected coach and person in the Buffalo locker room. That's certainly the main reasons players haven't portaled out.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Just saw this. It would’ve been nice to have him back. In my estimation he was in line to start. But I believe he only has one season of eligibility left.

He was at best an average MAC player. Not worried about losing him. 

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Just saw this. It would’ve been nice to have him back. In my estimation he was in line to start. But I believe he only has one season of eligibility left.

I didn't see him starting, but he was one of the few reliable options off the bench and  I would rather not see more transfers.

3 hours ago, Chet said:

By all accounts, Whitesell remains a well respected coach and person in the Buffalo locker room. That's certainly the main reasons players haven't portaled out.

Whitesell is pretty much terrible at everything from my vantage point, but I def agree with this. He was able to keep the group together for 3 years which clearly said something about his character/like ability in locker room. But that’s the reason he got the job, not the reason to keep him. In my opinion, sadly this point makes it even worse that he wasn’t able to capitalize on this much talent who had that must trust him. 

As for Fagan and Skogman jumping ship - I think that is a clear indication they no longer want to be worth whitesell. Sure players go into portal all the time, but these two were primed to be the main guys on this team and they rather start over elsewhere. In Fagan case he prob will have to go to worse team. Skogman may not get much better…. So if they leave it says a lot about our coaching imo. 

16 minutes ago, UBminicre said:

Whitesell is pretty much terrible at everything from my vantage point, but I def agree with this. He was able to keep the group together for 3 years which clearly said something about his character/like ability in locker room. But that’s the reason he got the job, not the reason to keep him. In my opinion, sadly this point makes it even worse that he wasn’t able to capitalize on this much talent who had that must trust him. 

As for Fagan and Skogman jumping ship - I think that is a clear indication they no longer want to be worth whitesell. Sure players go into portal all the time, but these two were primed to be the main guys on this team and they rather start over elsewhere. In Fagan case he prob will have to go to worse team. Skogman may not get much better…. So if they leave it says a lot about our coaching imo. 

Seems like you’re projecting. You must not have any awareness about what’s going on everywhere else. Sorry every time you stub your toe it’s Jim’s fault. 

9 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Seems like you’re projecting. You must not have any awareness about what’s going on everywhere else. Sorry every time you stub your toe it’s Jim’s fault. 

Who is to fault for the state of the program? Do you not agree that we are poised for our worst record in 10+ seasons next year?

5 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Who is to fault for the state of the program? Do you not agree that we are poised for our worst record in 10+ seasons next year?

At this very minute, I wouldn't disagree. I'll wait and see what the team looks like once August rolls around before making a more informed assessment. With the current NCAA and the ever changing roster, it's impossible to project year to year anymore. This very moment doesn't have anyone dancing around here however, men's or women's.

8 hours ago, Jeseph said:

I am sure some of us fans have been following the transfer portal news. The last number I seen was something like over 300 in the portal. Some teams with some big time players have entered so who knows if you could get honest answers out of some of these players what all their reasons are. Just a crazy time and the old saying of if you are not happy just move on and don’t try and work thru any problems. The state of college athletics that will lose some fans bing able to identity with players that move from college to college and team to team.

45 minutes ago, John said:

I am sure some of us fans have been following the transfer portal news. The last number I seen was something like over 300 in the portal. Some teams with some big time players have entered so who knows if you could get honest answers out of some of these players what all their reasons are. Just a crazy time and the old saying of if you are not happy just move on and don’t try and work thru any problems. The state of college athletics that will lose some fans bing able to identity with players that move from college to college and team to team.

If the blue blood basketball fans aren't affected or care, then the NCAA could care less. They got Duke/UNC/Villanova/Kansas in the Final 4, do you think anyone cares? That's the NCAA wet dream! They got some upsets and a Cinderella run with 4 top programs at the end. If this was pro-wrestling, you would definitely say it was scripted.

• Thanks 1

On 3/30/2022 at 5:25 PM, UBinMD said:

If the blue blood basketball fans aren't affected or care, then the NCAA could care less. They got Duke/UNC/Villanova/Kansas in the Final 4, do you think anyone cares? That's the NCAA wet dream! They got some upsets and a Cinderella run with 4 top programs at the end. If this was pro-wrestling, you would definitely say it was scripted.

Scripted, yes. I wonder sometimes if it’s all fixed. St Peter’s…lost to the Griffs, but handled Kentucky and Purdue - not to mention Murray St. Smells fishy.

Edited by squire17

On 3/29/2022 at 10:26 PM, DaBulls99 said:

I dont have awareness? I literally said in my post, “sure players go in the portal all the time” in my post. How is that lacking awareness?  

So you don’t think Skogman leaving has anything to do with Whitesell? Completely unrelated… what is with you people? Are you related to him or something? 

12 hours ago, UBminicre said:

I dont have awareness? I literally said in my post, “sure players go in the portal all the time” in my post. How is that lacking awareness?  

So you don’t think Skogman leaving has anything to do with Whitesell? Completely unrelated… what is with you people? Are you related to him or something? 

I personally want Whitesell gone. But at this point I very rarely hold transfers against a coach, it is pretty well established now that this is the new norm. If there is one thing Whitesell has actually been very good with since he became coach, it is retaining players. The fact that Williams, Segu, and/or Mballa did not enter the portal at all is actually unusual at this point. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, UBminicre said:

Nope. I think Skogman, like many of the 1,040+ players in the portal, thinks he’s above us and the grass is greener elsewhere. Players love the recruitment process when everyone is telling you you’re pretty. Some need it more than others. For all his faults, Whitesell has the respect of the locker room. 

8 hours ago, SGBull said:

I personally want Whitesell gone. But at this point I very rarely hold transfers against a coach, it is pretty well established now that this is the new norm. If there is one thing Whitesell has actually been very good with since he became coach, it is retaining players. The fact that Williams, Segu, and/or Mballa did not enter the portal at all is actually unusual at this point. 

8 hours ago, DaBulls99 said:

Nope. I think Skogman, like many of the 1,040+ players in the portal, thinks he’s above us and the grass is greener elsewhere. Players love the recruitment process when everyone is telling you you’re pretty. Some need it more than others. For all his faults, Whitesell has the respect of the locker room. 

I’ve said numerous times in different threads, whitesell def gets credit for holding the team around. Agreed it was unlikely all those guys stayed but they did. No doubt. 

However, there is a possibility that can’t be ignored… a guy like Skogman doesn’t want to play for him anymore. It’s certainly possible. Could be a combo of thinking he’s worth more and not wanting to play for a 100% rebuild. Anything is possible. It’s common for players to go into the portal as evidence by amount of players going in, but again the reason I find this one odd is because it was Skogman’s team now with unlimited minutes. I for one don’t think he will do much better then UB, so in my opinion if he goes to a lateral school or lower one, I think that will say a lot about his current relationship with Whitesell. Just my speculation - To be continued. 

Edited by UBminicre

On 3/28/2022 at 7:32 PM, trueblue32 said:

oof 

He is not gone yet "Returning to Buffalo is still a possibility" He is not transferring down or laterally.  He a young man who wants to see if he can go to a power program and get more than one team into the big dance.  I would do the same if I was him.  As said by many on this thread and other welcome to college basketball 2022

• Like 2