Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Stadium Upgrades/Experience

rma

The only positive change to the general public (ie you don’t have something named after you on campus) in stadium experience in the last 10 years has been the addition of beer sales, and slightly better concessions.  

With the Bills looking at thousands of dollars for a PSL at the new stadium, fans are going to be priced out. UB is not and will never be the Bills, but for families looking to watch a football game in person for less than $500, UB can be an option. 

I’ll have to double check again at the spring game, but I believe we still have an 8 lane track and a video board that has a resolution comparable to VHS tapes. I remember hearing that a video board upgrade was a high priority. Getting a video board that is at least 480p (maybe even 720p if we can afford it) would be huge.

Very interested in seeing what the facilities plan is whenever an updated version is released. 

On 3/31/2022 at 3:16 PM, promotherobot said:

On a nice day UB stadium is fine. On a brutally cold November MACtion Tuesday it's unbearable.

Agree....but visually, it looks more like a larger High School Stadium than a D1 FBS stadium with the track and little video capabilities.

It would appear that the current athletic administration is not interested in presenting visions of facility grandeur and not delivering like Danny White's Master Facilities Plan.   

Edited by Sportsfan
  • Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 8:42 AM, Sportsfan said:

Agree....but visually, it looks more like a larger High School Stadium than a D1 FBS stadium with the track and little video capabilities.

It would appear that the current athletic administration is not interested in presenting visions of facility grandeur and not delivering like Danny White's Master Facilities Plan.   

What exactly of White's master plan has been accomplished?  The field house does not count as that was in the works prior to Manuel being the AD.  The only thing that was possibly done were the new tennis courts, but White's tennis center is not even close to breaking ground.

2 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

What exactly of White's master plan has been accomplished?  The field house does not count as that was in the works prior to Manuel being the AD.  The only thing that was possibly done were the new tennis courts, but White's tennis center is not even close to breaking ground.

Nothing/we agree...exactly what I noted, that White's vision (Strategic Plan) came with no funding, which isn't a plan at all. 

Would appear the the current administration doesn't follow the same approach, as they are not promising or communicating to the fan base anything related to a Strategic Plan, but to do small tactical projects as funding is provided (i.e, fueling state, locker rooms, etc.)

Edited by Sportsfan

17 hours ago, Sportsfan said:

Nothing/we agree...exactly what I noted, that White's vision (Strategic Plan) came with no funding, which isn't a plan at all. 

Would appear the the current administration doesn't follow the same approach, as they are not promising or communicating to the fan base anything related to a Strategic Plan, but to do small tactical projects as funding is provided (i.e, fueling state, locker rooms, etc.)

Alnutt did give a talk to the UB Alumni Academy last fall in which he talked about future plans.  I missed seeing it because of business meetings, but if I recall there was some talk out future facilities.

On 4/3/2022 at 8:57 AM, BrooklynBull said:

Wasn't the East/West/G-Club in there?

The theme of my original post was that the current athletic department is very low key about facility expectations.  This is in contract to the January 2014 release of the Master Plan (see link below).  Per Brooklyn Bull, even if Alnutt presented at a recent event, it was not to the level communication of Danny White and his ability to market a vision, regardless of the probability of it happening....8 years and counting....maybe it was a 20 year vision (except for baseball)

https://issuu.com/buffalobulls/docs/athletics_master_plan-final_8eaecd0cdf47d8

1 hour ago, bull_trojan said:

Wasn't the East/West/G-Club in there?

The original plan was for a very large facility on the other side of the stadium  That was scrapped because there was not enough interest to build what they wanted to build.  The current club was a scaled back club.  It is sort of like the tennis court issues.

On 4/4/2022 at 2:26 PM, BrooklynBull said:

The original plan was for a very large facility on the other side of the stadium  That was scrapped because there was not enough interest to build what they wanted to build.  The current club was a scaled back club.  It is sort of like the tennis court issues.

With the alumni base of UB and endowment value, interesting that the athletic department has had minimum success outside of the Murchie family to have significant investments (greater than $1M) in facilities.  Could it be the MAC just doesn't excite a lot of alumni that have the wealth to invest, or the athletic department hasn't presented enough of a long term vision, or the university leadership is satisfied with the current status quo.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 11:39 PM, rma said:

I’ll have to double check again at the spring game, but I believe we still have an 8 lane track and a video board that has a resolution comparable to VHS tapes.

Confirmed during the spring game, both are still there.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...