Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Becky Burke named new UB WBB HC

ub2019

17 minutes ago, ub2019 said:

Looks like a solid hire from the press release. Has been successful everywhere she has been a HC. 

As you said has won whereever she has coached.  Looking forward to her time with UB

Edited by DocCas86

Positives: Appears to be a rising coach, wins everywhere she goes, conference coach of the year

Negatives: A lot of her players (7) portaled after this year, but then again who didn't. Her staff at USC...U(?) had two Louisville connections on it so might not get impressive resumes for assistant coaches.

She'll probably be gone in a year or two if she wins here based on her previous coaching record.

19 minutes ago, rma said:

Positives: Appears to be a rising coach, wins everywhere she goes, conference coach of the year

Negatives: A lot of her players (7) portaled after this year, but then again who didn't. Her staff at USC...U(?) had two Louisville connections on it so might not get impressive resumes for assistant coaches.

She'll probably be gone in a year or two if she wins here based on her previous coaching record.

Maybe one reason for the portal’ing was that they knew she was leaving. Also the Louisville women’s program is a pretty successful and stable program. Not bad plucking from there.

Solid hire. Young up and comer with prior head coaching and playing experience. Let’s all be honest here, none of us truly know jack-ish about coaches in women’s college basketball. So who are we to criticize her. What we as fan wanted was pretty much what she seems to embody with her credentials. UB is an attractive job for young up and comer coaches looking to advance their careers. This hire is the opposite of what we went through after Oats left on the men’s side. 

Edited by DooleyBull06

3 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

It looks like a great hire, but as mentioned, is she’s successful early, she’ll get a new gig quick. Hoping for the best!

Absolutely but in being successful that means we will win a MAC title or two. And stay relevant and a premiere mid major that’s attractive to coaches once she does leave. Also if she has success it puts pressure on the school to pony up money to invest in keeping coaches and upgrading facilities. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Absolutely but in being successful that means we will win a MAC title or two. And stay relevant and a premiere mid major that’s attractive to coaches once she does leave. Also if she has success it puts pressure on the school to pony up money to invest in keeping coaches and upgrading facilities. 

I’ll take ambitious, successful coaches using UB as a stepping stone if we are winning MAC titles over coaches that will go .500, get you nowhere and stick around. That’s being a mid-major in college basketball. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ub2019 said:

I wonder if she can bring the FOY she coached there with her too?? Very impressive stats and she is from PA.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4899622/rachael-rose

Agree. A very impressive resume along with her Louisville player stats, Finally have something positive to ponder and look forward to. Would rather have a coach that has shown taken programs and shown positive progress.Is the news conference at Alumni open to the public? Go Bulls! Just hope fans give her a chance and show support.

Take the fact that she has only stayed at her previous jobs for a few years with a grain of salt...that's how it works in D2, D3, low majors, etc. As you work your way up the better jobs and desirable openings get less and less plentiful.

The important thing is Coach Burke is young, is a winner on the court and on the sidelines, has plentiful "big time" connections and has a chance to keep UB on the right path. 

2 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

Lol...you think we were getting an established mid-major or higher HC? 

This is unfortunately the scenarios for most of the mid major programs. Finding and giving a chance to up and coming coaches or hiring some older coaches that have gone from one program to another. Worked out okay for us with both Oats and Jack.  Glad to see Coach Burke is already starting recruiting. Go Bulls!!!

4 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

Take the fact that she has only stayed at her previous jobs for a few years with a grain of salt...that's how it works in D2, D3, low majors, etc. As you work your way up the better jobs and desirable openings get less and less plentiful.

The important thing is Coach Burke is young, is a winner on the court and on the sidelines, has plentiful "big time" connections and has a chance to keep UB on the right path. 

Agree. Hope we can give her a chance and see what kind of players she can recruit and see what her coaching style is. It will be interesting to see what kind of staff she puts together especially on the recruiting side. Go Bulls!!!

58 minutes ago, TML1000 said:

Lol...you think we were getting an established mid-major or higher HC? 

No, I expected Mid-Major or Higher AC.

But I'm just shocked that people are gushing about her resume. 2 years at D1, high NET rank of 223 (based on NET if USC-Up was in the MAC, they'd be 11th between Miami OH (218) and EMU (242)). Flame out in the conference tourney.

It's risky bet on young upside to me, not the impressive proven resume hire. 

2 minutes ago, bull_trojan said:

No, I expected Mid-Major or Higher AC.

But I'm just shocked that people are gushing about her resume. 2 years at D1, high NET rank of 223 (based on NET if USC-Up was in the MAC, they'd be 11th between Miami OH (218) and EMU (242)). Flame out in the conference tourney.

It's risky bet on young upside to me, not the impressive proven resume hire. 

There’s been some bad takes on here but this may be the worst. This hire is everything we could ask for in this roll of the dice. What does an assistant who has never had to grind or know the difficulties of MAC WBB offer that is better than someone who has proven they could do it with no resources?

3 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

There’s been some bad takes on here but this may be the worst. This hire is everything we could ask for in this roll of the dice. What does an assistant who has never had to grind or know the difficulties of MAC WBB offer that is better than someone who has proven they could do it with no resources?

I guess I have a different definition of "resume" we're talking 1 good D1 year.