Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Becky Burke named new UB WBB HC

ub2019

1 minute ago, skrabukes said:

Yeah, finishing out her free semester before moving on to the next freebie in California.

I can't be too hard on her.  We don't know if she had the option of staying.  Just like some of the football players that transferred, it may have been suggested to her that she'd be better off somewhere else.

21 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Yeah, finishing out her free semester before moving on to the next freebie in California.

And good on her for doing so. Most of that team is going pro in something other than basketball. Get a good education if you’re on scholarship. 

5 minutes ago, rma said:

And good on her for doing so. Most of that team is going pro in something other than basketball. Get a good education if you’re on scholarship. 

Not quite sure how that works, leaving after 3 years and completing a major at a new place, but good on her and all of the thousands of "student-athletes".

23 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Not quite sure how that works, leaving after 3 years and completing a major at a new place, but good on her and all of the thousands of "student-athletes".

How are you going to be hard on a college kid about transferring to a new school. In the end they’re kids and just looking out for themselves. There’s some stat i saw that something like 35% of non student athletes transfer to a new school before finishing their degree. Are you going to complain about that? Some kids literally just might not like a school or are trying to find the right fit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill said:

How are you going to be hard on a college kid about transferring to a new school. In the end they’re kids and just looking out for themselves. There’s some stat i saw that something like 35% of non student athletes transfer to a new school before finishing their degree. Are you going to complain about that? Some kids literally just might not like a school or are trying to find the right fit. 

That's fine. Doesn't mean I have to be interested in the process. It's a new team every year from this point forward, not just for us, but for most teams. It's disinteresting to me. So these new guys that are all coming in, that people are excited about will be here for how long, 1 season? How many will be gone next year? Based on this past year, it's likely that most will be gone next year. Again, not just here. Heck, Schmidt is a genius. Sold Bona on his great team, got mega bucks, and now has no team. Could've put anyone in that coaching position and had the same (lack of) team. 

2 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

I can't be too hard on her.  We don't know if she had the option of staying.  Just like some of the football players that transferred, it may have been suggested to her that she'd be better off somewhere else.

It's fine, I'm not mad at any of them, it's just a ridiculous system that is the downfall of the system as it was. The big boys are happy, and those making the big bucks are happy as well, and that's really all that matters. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, skrabukes said:

She's a finance major and both programs are AACSB accredited. Might need to retake a class or two, but much of the senior year of the finance program at UB is a bunch of electives IIRC.

6 minutes ago, rma said:

She's a finance major and both programs are AACSB accredited. Might need to retake a class or two, but much of the senior year of the finance program at UB is a bunch of electives IIRC.

Undoubtedly, all of the other transfers Country wide are in a similar boat.

14 hours ago, skrabukes said:

It is either that or most likely be ineligible in the fall.  If someone leaves school when they enter the portal they will do a Blutarsky.  If they do it will be very difficult to be eligible to play in the fall semester, if not the entire season.

The UB website has been updated. Roster now includes the new players and staff. If all holds, our holdover players are:  Jazmine Young, Nia Jordan, Dominique Camp, Casey Valenti-Paea, Ramatoulaye Keita, Elea Gaba

Add in the current 5 recruits, brings us to 11. Plus the Boom player we haven’t heard the name of yet. I’m feeling good about 2022-23.

Dependent on the new commit, one more big, specifically one with an athletic and/or defensive upside, would be ideal. We will be very strong at guard.

Can likely get away with playing a smaller lineup in the MAC especially if we are able to turn teams over at a good clip.

Edited by TML1000
sp

On 5/4/2022 at 3:20 PM, UBinMD said:

Any work on the Boom that Coach Burke threw out a few days ago? I haven't seen any new commits since then anywhere.

Been a dead period, I would assume we would hear something on or after 5/8.

Listening to this podcast now. 

Highlights from the first 20 minutes or so:

BB says there’s 5 returning players. Current roster lists 6, though one is in the portal. Eludes to some discussions she had with the roster she inherited and what may have led to them to go in the portal (though obviously no specific players named).  

Schedule for the upcoming season is mostly set, possibly by FLJ before she left, so we might have some good opponents this year.

From later in the episode, BB despite being a Scranton native has never seen, nor intends to ever see, any episode of The Office. I know there’s been a bit of criticism of the AD on the Whitesell hire, but this is unacceptable. Was there any due diligence completed? Anybody know what type of buyout the department would be looking at?

Edited by rma
words are hard
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, rma said:

From later in the episode, BB despite being a Scranton native has never seen, nor intends to ever see, and episode of The Office. I know there’s been a bit of criticism of the AD on the Whitesell hire, but this is unacceptable. Was there any due diligence completed? Anybody know what type of buyout the department would be looking at?

Glad to know I have something in common with her.

3 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

Glad to know I have something in common with her.

This does not surprise me. Surely, the TV programs on in the 50’s and 60’s were much better than the garbage on these days.

32 minutes ago, rma said:

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi

Glad to see the Australian pipeline continue! 6'3" is a nice addition to our current group as well. Hopefully our former Aussies continue to feed coach Burke players like they did FLJ. Looks like a solid pickup!

• Like 1

Not a ton in the way of stats this past season, but at this point, a post is a post. If what we suspect about Burke's desired style of play is correct, I would assume only one of Johnson, Gaba and Salmons will see the floor at once with what should be a guard heavy, push the pace type of lineup.

Also, it looks like Salmons will have three years of eligibility. We could use at least a few holdovers after this upcoming seasons for continuity sake.