Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Becky Burke named new UB WBB HC

ub2019

1 hour ago, dj_paige said:

May I ask if this BOOM thing is something Becky Burke invented; or is it some wider social media phenomenon that lots of people use? Because I have never heard of it before.

There are variations on a general theme as they  generally  convey excitement, or celebration.  Not all coaches are doing this but I personally like seeing these posts as you can build excitement for an incoming commit.  Possible the recruit likes seeing that we are excited about the commitment, as well.

• 3 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, dj_paige said:

On Sunday, I heard Becky Burke declare that the team's goal this year is to defend Buffalo's 2021-2022 MAC Championship. Bold statement, since there is only 1 player left from last year's team. (But what else could she say?)

Where did Keita go? A TBN article from last month still had her on the team. 

Rama Keita — I don't know, she left the team recently (a friend of a friend is trying to find out via Tessy Onwuka ... if I hear I will post it)

Nia Jordan — transfer to Bethune Cookman (I don't know when that was announced, it was news to me when I heard it the other day)

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, dj_paige said:

Rama Keita — I don't know, she left the team recently (a friend of a friend is trying to find out via Tessy Onwuka ... if I hear I will post it)

Nia Jordan — transfer to Bethune Cookman (I don't know when that was announced, it was news to me when I heard it the other day)

They only have 11 on the roster currently, so that’s likely accurate with 2 more recent departures. Coach Burke seems like a very focused person and is used to winning at every level, seems to know what it takes. Feels like she would be one that would be willing to tell a player to find a different pasture to get play if you don’t share the vision. We will see but her track record so far at previous stops with steeper climbs than UB have worked well. Let’s also be honest, the loss of Fair, Wooley and Hemphill basically gutted the team. All the others (no offense intended) we’re role players that I believe Coach Burke has replaced. The question is who will be our scoring leaders, time will tell. I do think her defense will be very stingy and if you don’t play that side of the ball well, you may see more bench than court. Go Bulls!!🤘🏻🤘🏻

38 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

They only have 11 on the roster currently, so that’s likely accurate with 2 more recent departures. 🤘🏻🤘🏻

Who are the 2 recent departures? Is it Rama Keita and Ronni Nwora (who was not at practice Sunday but still on the roster today)? They do have a walk-on Briyanna Baron, unknown if she will be cleared to play in the season opener.

Edited by dj_paige

7 minutes ago, dj_paige said:

Who are the 2 recent departures? Is it Rama Keita and Ronni Nwora (who was not at practice Sunday but still on the roster today)? They do have a walk-on Briyanna Baron, unknown if she will be cleared to play in the season opener.

Maybe just Keita, there are now 12 on the roster (when I looked last week, there were only 11). Perhaps the walk-on was not listed previously. Says she is a senior, so not expecting much from that addition, but always good to have extra bodies at practice, for scout teams, etc.

Yes, walk-on Briyanna Baron was not on the roster on the web site on Sunday, she is today. She was team manager as a freshman under FLJ, then she left the program, signed up as team manager with BB this year, and when they needed some bodies for the practice squad, she got out on the court and played and BB said hmmmm ... that girl has skillz ... maybe she should be on the roster.

Edited by dj_paige
  • Like 1

Additional comments about Sunday's practice, in no particular order

• It was great to hear an Australian accent from one of the players ... 6-3 forward Kayla Salmons is from Melbourne, she knows or has played against Stephanie Reid and Georgia Woolley.
  • 6-2 true freshman F/G Hattie Ogden can knock down the 3 pointers! Rare in the MAC for a big player to have that in their skill set. I doubt she'll play at guard, despite what the roster says, she will take up space in the paint ... as will Salmons and 6-2 F Kiara Johnson. By MAC standards, this is a big front line.
  • I didn't get a good feel for how the guards will play, as most of the time, they were scrimmaging against the practice team, or even 5 on 0 drills, and defensive drills. The one guard that stood out was 5th year transfer Zakiyah Winfield, who won a D2 national championship this year, she seemed particularly fast. (She also liked chicken wings from Bar Bill and doesn't like chicken wings from the Anchor Bar). The other guard that stood out was true freshman Caelan Ellis, purported to be a strong 3 point shooter. Ellis originally signed with USC Upstate and came to Buffalo with coach Burke.
  • Pronunciations: Zakiyah Winfield ... middle syllable of her first name rhymes with TIE; Re'Shawna Stone, first syllable of her first name rhymes with Ray; Emerita Mashare, first name is like the combination of two women's names Emma-Rita; Kayla Salmons, should be pronounced with an Australian accent, which I can't do.
  • Jazmine Young — remember her? — mostly didn't participate in the practice, she was out there for some non-contact drills. She said she was recovering from an injury, but was in uniform.
Edited by dj_paige

Yes there are nearly all new players on the roster but the players themselves are largely experienced(Five 5th years). Of course time will tell how quickly they can gel and learn to play well together but this team will certainly not be out of place in the MAC by any means.

Just going on feel, I would think both Winfield and Stone will see alot of time and am expecting contributions from both Ellis and Ogden, at least by the time conference season rolls around. If the forwards can keep up with the pace of the guards, I like our chances in the MAC against nearly anyone.

The non-conference schedule is a good mix that should provide some stiff tests (Princeton, Drexel, Bucknell) with the chances to get some early wins(Stonehill, LIU, Bona, Canisius).

The 2023 class incoming next year looks very strong on paper so hoping this squad can lay the ground work for another run of MAC titles.

3 hours ago, dj_paige said:

Does anyone have an un-official list of the incoming players for 2023? I haven't been keeping up with the BOOOOOMs.

She recruited good size (especially for the MAC) and good combo players for a broad array of locations:

Timberlynn Yeast (5’10” G - Kentucky)

Madison Heiss (5’10” SG - Texas)

Paige Kohler (5’7” PG - Ohio)

Ella Take (6’0” G/W - Ottawa)

Jakayla Thompson (5’8” CG - Kentucky)

Ella Weaver (6’0” SG/W - Virginia)

Paula Lopes (5’8” G - Spain)

• Like 2

The first '24 boom is a local, Bri Barr-Buday, 6'2 F. I have seen Bri play first hand numerous times...she has good athletiscm for her size and is a tremendous rebounder with a very strong frame for her age. She has expanded her offensive game and range recently and that should only to continue to improve. This could prove to be a very good get.

Also, hoping this begins a trend of keeping more Buffalo area players at home. The girls basketball scene in WNY may not have the depth of players as other areas in the region but the top end talent is tremendous, with plenty more younger players in the pipeline.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, TML1000 said:

The first '24 boom is a local, Bri Barr-Buday, 6'2 F. I have seen Bri play first hand numerous times...she has good athletiscm for her size and is a tremendous rebounder with a very strong frame for her age. She has expanded her offensive game and range recently and that should only to continue to improve. This could prove to be a very good get.

Also, hoping this begins a trend of keeping more Buffalo area players at home. The girls basketball scene in WNY may not have the depth of players as other areas in the region but the top end talent is tremendous, with plenty more younger players in the pipeline.

I like this pickup as well, nice to have a home product. You can teach offense, rebounding is something you want to do and looks like she has that passion. You also can't teach 6'2, which is nice and on the bigger side for MAC action. Good work Coach Burke.

On 10/26/2022 at 5:35 PM, UBinMD said:

She recruited good size (especially for the MAC) and good combo players for a broad array of locations:

Timberlynn Yeast (5’10” G - Kentucky)

Madison Heiss (5’10” SG - Texas)

Paige Kohler (5’7” PG - Ohio)

Ella Take (6’0” G/W - Ottawa)

Jakayla Thompson (5’8” CG - Kentucky)

Ella Weaver (6’0” SG/W - Virginia)

Paula Lopes (5’8” G - Spain)

I thought I read somewhere that Paige was in class of ‘24?!