Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Armoni Foster

1 minute ago, trueblue32 said:

I think the main point is some of this just poisons the discourse in this forum. I’ve soured on Whitesell over time yet every time you come on here you’re wading through 8 posts of BS for every legitimate complaint. I feel like I have to be a Whitesell defender and complaining about his social media presence is a good example

I will happily agree that there is a ton of unnecessary bashing on here against Whitesell (which 99% of the time comes from the same poster btw), but I also think it's completely fair to criticize his lack of SM presence in today's world where it is a massive part of the lives of recruits. His recruits haven't exactly done anything yet and he has taken months to fill in holes that our women's coach was able to fill in her first 2wks on the job. And there's a stark contrast between our women's coach and Whitesell when it comes to SM.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, clodney said:

His recruits haven't exactly done anything yet and he has taken months to fill in holes that our women's coach was able to fill in her first 2wks on the job. And there's a stark contrast between our women's coach and Whitesell when it comes to SM.

If a recruit has ever not picked UB because Whitesell doesn’t post enough on Twitter I’d be shocked. This just feels like trying to justify wishing that he was more active for your own enjoyment.

There’s no rush in filling out the roster, how many of the recruits that we were connected to have committed anywhere not named Buffalo at this point in time?

I’d agree on not many of his recruits panning out so far. I don’t really think it’s for lack of recruiting pedigree though, which may point more to issues developing the players once they’re here.

Again the fact that we’re discussing this at all on a post about a recruit that committed today highlights that this poisons the discourse

• Like 1

I personally don’t need my head coach active on social. But I’m not 18. Don’t need Whitesell to be like coach Burke but he has to have a pulse. And more importantly the team social accounts need to be waaaaayyy more active across social platforms. This goes for all sports. Social media is a big outlet for these athletes…the school needs to have a social footprint that keeps up with them. And it’s not a gimmick either…pro teams social accounts are very engaging and active.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, clodney said:

I'm not blown away by the kid's video but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt if the majors were actively pursuing him. He seems to have a pretty good handle but I am also a bit concerned about 3pt%. Does anyone know anything about his defense? Do we have stats on steals, blocks, etc..?

This is link to his career stats

https://iupathletics.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/armoni-foster/7614

His three point shooting was a bit better the first two years (~34-35%).  He averaged nearly 7 assist per game last year - so maybe he is more of distributor first this coming year.  He has averaged about 1.5 steals per game, and about 0.5 blocks per game.  

I liked his highlights. I mean he isn't jumping off the tape but it highlights a lot of what was missing with this team

I saw a player that was finishing through contact, a player that wasn't settling or taking miracle shots. 

A lot of his scouting reports mention his win loss record. Probably does a lot of the little things you need to do to win 

I'm getting excited for how this team is coming together

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Erie County said:

This is where i was at with him. He doesn't look that impressive to make a jump. He won't all of a sudden make threes either. Maybe a bench player like that Schmock guy. But he shot threes at a crazy clip. 

yes - 1.5 spg, 0.55 bpg, 3.5 turnovers per game

Schmock’s on-offs suggests he was Ohio’s best player outside their Big 3. He came off the bench because the starter is now in the SEC.

He’s also 5 inches shorter and averaged 7 less PPG in D2 than Foster.

I certainly think there’s a wide range of possible outcomes as there’s not a lot of data on guys coming from D2 but I’m not sure Schmock is a useful comp.

On the turnovers, I still think we’re in on Shamar Givance. I think the vision is for Foster to primarily play off ball.

Edited by trueblue32

52 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Schmock’s on-offs suggests he was Ohio’s best player outside their Big 3. He came off the bench because the starter is now in the SEC.

He’s also 5 inches shorter and averaged 7 less PPG in D2 than Foster.

I certainly think there’s a wide range of possible outcomes as there’s not a lot of data on guys coming from D2 but I’m not sure Schmock is a useful comp.

On the turnovers, I still think we’re in on Shamar Givance. I think the vision is for Foster to primarily play off ball.

Givance committed to UTEP.

6 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Givance committed to UTEP.

Missed that! Given the timing just a couple hours after Foster committed maybe the plan is for Foster to run the show. I don’t have much concern about him doing it, but I always like the 2 primary creator lineups. The turnover rate is a bit concerning stepping up a level, but I also imagine having a higher talent level around him will help him out.

38 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Missed that! Given the timing just a couple hours after Foster committed maybe the plan is for Foster to run the show. I don’t have much concern about him doing it, but I always like the 2 primary creator lineups. The turnover rate is a bit concerning stepping up a level, but I also imagine having a higher talent level around him will help him out.

Might open some chances for Caesar if he is ready for 10-15 minutes a game as well.

41 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Might open some chances for Caesar if he is ready for 10-15 minutes a game as well.

Well, Ceaser might be the best player on the team, so I think he'll be ready for at least that. That's what makes the roster that's taking shape so interesting and hopefully so much fun - we really have no idea who will emerge as our top performers. But Ceaser was a top player in one of the best metro hoops scenes in the country and I think he has a chance to blow up (into UB's Ja Morant 🤫). Speaking of Ceaser, he was on IG with fellow DMVer and UNI freshman Zion Russell threatening to dunk on all of Northern Illinois' big men the other day lol.

Also, let's not forget about Curtis Jones when plotting out two PG lineups. He was great down the stretch and I could see him showing major improvement with a summer of college training.

57 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Well, Ceaser might be the best player on the team, so I think he'll be ready for at least that. That's what makes the roster that's taking shape so interesting and hopefully so much fun - we really have no idea who will emerge as our top performers. But Ceaser was a top player in one of the best metro hoops scenes in the country and I think he has a chance to blow up (into UB's Ja Morant 🤫). Speaking of Ceaser, he was on IG with fellow DMVer and UNI freshman Zion Russell threatening to dunk on all of Northern Illinois' big men the other day lol.

Also, let's not forget about Curtis Jones when plotting out two PG lineups. He was great down the stretch and I could see him showing major improvement with a summer of college training.

According to ESPN, Caeser is the 50th best pg in HS currently. He’s going to be a stud for us I believe. He’s one of the fastest players in the country as well.

46 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

This year is the opposite of last year - we had a trio of stars amongst a large number of returning minutes with high expectations.  The roster for next year is nearly complete, and there is a lot of guess work to be made as to expectations.  Is Adams freshman version or sophomore version, how do the other newcomers Powell, Foster and Jones contribute.  My comps suggest Powell / Foster expectations of 8-10 ppg each - is that low / is high?  What do they get from Blocker / Mading / Williamson / Ceaser.  What is added with last 3 scholarships (1 big seems to be a necessity)   I guess I am looking forward to this fall to find out, hoping for good things at this time! 🙂

Just now, DocCas86 said:

This year is the opposite of last year - we had a trio of stars amongst a large number of returning minutes with high expectations.  The roster for next year is nearly complete, and there is a lot of guess work to be made as to expectations.  Is Adams freshman version or sophomore version, how do the other newcomers Powell, Foster and Jones contribute.  My comps suggest Powell / Foster expectations of 8-10 ppg each - is that low / is high?  What do they get from Blocker / Mading / Williamson / Ceaser.  What is added with last 3 scholarships (1 big seems to be a necessity)   I guess I am looking forward to this fall to find out, hoping for good things at this time! 🙂

Definitely another SF, possibly Amari Tice out of HS. And then a PF and Center, like our chances of grabbing Selebangue from JUCO. Don’t forget that we can always add players late like we did with Mading

The doom and gloom as lifted somewhat, I think we have exciting players, but at the same time, nobody is being handed anything (no incumbent starters) so they need to scrap for their spot, which I think will make it exciting and gel as a team. Sometimes that's what you need in mid-major ball, the whole is better than the pieces typically for the successful groups. I'm exciting and agree our last 3 pieces need to be a SF, PF (or 2) and/or a center that can clog the lane and block against certain teams.

23 minutes ago, Dabulls said:

Definitely another SF, possibly Amari Tice out of HS. And then a PF and Center, like our chances of grabbing Selebangue from JUCO. Don’t forget that we can always add players late like we did with Mading

I'm assuming they want high schoolers for 2 of the 3, a couple guys that you red shirt 

Defiantly need a big that can contribute right away because if not its putting a lot on Williamson to be ready 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Erie County said:

I'm guessing this me. Why the need for the potshot here? I just read through the Whitesell discourse and see plenty of negative from Ubminicre, UB92, 981819, Jeseph, and others including you (as you diss his social media) - plenty of which I agree with. You can pin me for the negative rhetoric if you need to, but I just want better from which was once a proud top of the MAC team.

Sorry, bud. I agree with your sentiment but you lay it on pretty damn thick most of the time. The fact that you knew I was talking about you indicates you're aware.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Erie County said:

I'm guessing this me. Why the need for the potshot here? I just read through the Whitesell discourse and see plenty of negative from Ubminicre, UB92, 981819, Jeseph, and others including you (as you diss his social media) - plenty of which I agree with. You can pin me for the negative rhetoric if you need to, but I just want better from which was once a proud top of the MAC team.

I'm just waiting for October to see how this settles out (i.e., the players).  The MAC coaches poll and other evaluations will give us a better idea of how we stack up against the other MAC teams.

Regarding social media presence, it is really a must at this point for the reasons others have mentioned.  Not that he has to do the tweeting himself -- that's why you have GAs and other staffers.  It gives the appearance that he/UB is behind the times.    

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, trueblue32 said:

Another data point on top D2 players.  Trevor Hudgins, the D2 player of the year who led his team to the D2 title, earned a two-way deal with the Rockets. Averaged 23 PPG, 2.4 RPG, 4.3 APG.

Here is latest expectation's for Foster contribution.

image.thumb.png.2c29a07517b9dcae55bb243b9d32ed09.png

I think 8-9 ppg range is reasonable for him.  I do hope his assist averages will be higher.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...