Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Josiah Freeman (2020 SG)

BasketBull

36 minutes ago, MaineBull said:

Seems like a good player that will compliment his other backcourt running mate Chance Robinson very well.  I love that we consistently are recruiting this level of player!

Agreed!  It is a big step for the program if we can consistently pull mid to high 3 star recruits.  Its a shame his commitment if being overshadowed by our bad loss on Friday.  We have one scholarship remaining for next year right? 

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:08 AM, Gxtrex said:

Agreed!  It is a big step for the program if we can consistently pull mid to high 3 star recruits.  Its a shame his commitment if being overshadowed by our bad loss on Friday.  We have one scholarship remaining for next year right? 

I believe you are correct.  We now have one scholarship left for next season.  I am hopeful it can be used on a big rim protector in the interior.  A true big who can defend and rebound inside.  A player who can run the floor and defend off the high screen and role thus is not a mismatch when we switch in this situation. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, fosterclogfear said:

Great news! Just a little while ago we were worried about him signing with someone else. When Chanse signs I’ll be feeling great about this class. I wonder if Whitesell looks towards JUCO or a transfer for the final scholarship 

1 hour ago, UB05 said:

Great news! Just a little while ago we were worried about him signing with someone else. When Chanse signs I’ll be feeling great about this class. I wonder if Whitesell looks towards JUCO or a transfer for the final scholarship 

We do have outstanding offers on two JUCO players:

Adong Makuo (Stats through 5 games - 10 ppg, 5.8 rebounds per game) - https://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2019-20/div1/players/adongmakuoihvlu

Jacob Tracey (Stats through 5 games - 5.4 ppg, 2.6 rebounds per game) - https://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2019-20/div1/players/jacobtracey7wb8

Makuo seems to have taken a lot of dunks - 92% shooting percentage.  Jacob Tracey seems to be struggling a bit early in the season (shooting 34% - 20% from FT).  Not sure what interest is still in these two.

Edited by DocCas86

2 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

"We do have outstanding offers on two JUCO players:"

My wish is that we could move the word OUTSTANDING,  to after the word TWO, and that one of them would sign.  

I do not know enough to judge either player as OUTSTANDING.  What I do see that I like for Adong Makuoi is the following:

• 6'9" Power Forward - combined with Mballa would give us a strong interior presence.
  • Last year playing 30 games for Palm Beach St (#57 JUCO in country), he shot 58% (52% in conference) all 2-pointers while averaging 8.1 points per game (6.4 in conference).  As I mentioned before, in early part of his sophomore season, he is averaging 10 points per game.
  • Averaged close to three blocks a game last year.
  • So far he has offers from Murray State, Kent State and Buffalo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

I do not know enough to judge either player as OUTSTANDING.  What I do see that I like for Adong Makuoi is the following:

• 6'9" Power Forward - combined with Mballa would give us a strong interior presence.
  • Last year playing 30 games for Palm Beach St (#57 JUCO in country), he shot 58% (52% in conference) all 2-pointers while averaging 8.1 points per game (6.4 in conference).  As I mentioned before, in early part of his sophomore season, he is averaging 10 points per game.
  • Averaged close to three blocks a game last year.
  • So far he has offers from Murray State, Kent State and Buffalo.

Adong may be a serviceable PF for other mid major schools but I personally feel that the bar has been set higher for UB and we need to go for players that aren’t projects that will take time to develop. A solid JUCO forward that put up Andre Allen type numbers is what we should go for at the MINIMUM in my opinion. It isn’t in our play style to have a traditional back to the basket type forward, we need a post presence that can stretch the floor 

Cool to have a future Bull signing next to his teammate Jeremy Roach, a future Dukie. That hints at a certain level of recruit. Also, like Rondo is buddies with Nassir Little and other high-end high school/AAU guys, hopefully JoJo has some peer connections that will pay dividends in recruiting and program reputation.

In the last three years his HS, Paul VI in Virginia, sent guys to UNC, Nova, Pitt, Butler, UCF, George Mason. That's the company we want to be in.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Cool to have a future Bull signing next to his teammate Jeremy Roach, a future Dukie. That hints at a certain level of recruit. Also, like Rondo is buddies with Nassir Little and other high-end high school/AAU guys, hopefully JoJo has some peer connections that will pay dividends in recruiting and program reputation.

In the last three years his HS, Paul VI in Virginia, sent guys to UNC, Nova, Pitt, Butler, UCF, George Mason. That's the company we want to be in.

The impact of being good all year last year (and ranked), plus some success in the tournament is paying great dividends.   Gotta keep it up.   And that starts (again) on Saturday...

56 minutes ago, 961819 said:

Adong may be a serviceable PF for other mid major schools but I personally feel that the bar has been set higher for UB and we need to go for players that aren’t projects that will take time to develop. A solid JUCO forward that put up Andre Allen type numbers is what we should go for at the MINIMUM in my opinion. It isn’t in our play style to have a traditional back to the basket type forward, we need a post presence that can stretch the floor 

Ok thank you for providing me with more details regarding his capabilities.  I was limited to just his stats - so did not have more in-depth assessment.  Which was all I had for Jacob Tracey as well - and he has got off to a slow start.  Perhaps the perspective on his capabilities is different than my limited vantage point as well.

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Ok thank you for providing me with more details regarding his capabilities.  I was limited to just his stats - so did not have more in-depth assessment.  Which was all I had for Jacob Tracey as well - and he has got off to a slow start.  Perhaps the perspective on his capabilities is different than my limited vantage point as well.

I’m just thinking with a Perkins type player in mind. Perfect example in JUCO that I can think of, which now most likely won’t happen bc Kentucky just offered him is Marial Mading. Transferred to JUCO from Rhode Island. Big Skogman-sized player who is quick and can stretch the floor, just needs to bulk up

Edited by 961819

• 3 weeks later...

JoJo Freeman has played some very high level games early in the season at the Hoopfest in DC. His Paul VI squad took down #2 in the country IMG Academy in a nice upset. He only scored 6 points on 2-10 shooting, but he played the third most minutes on a team with a 5* senior, a 5* junior (who picked up a Duke offer after this game), and a 5* soph. He's #24 in the video below which is a full game highlight (drains a super quick catch/release 3 at the 7:40 mark). Great to see him playing in one of the most intense and talent-laden high school games of the year. You can see why he didn't get the high-major looks (size for his skill set, quickness), but he should be an absolutely devastating shooter at the MAC level.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Bass Pro Shop Highschool Basketball Tournament Paul VI vs Oak Hill Academy - CBSSports 10 p.m. eastern.

Josiah Freeman's Paul VI team beat Booker T Washington 74 - 60 to advance to finals against Oak Hill Academy.  Thought I would share as offers a chance to get a glimpse of Josiah in action.  Last night he had 9 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 steal

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=290716

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Bass Pro Shop Highschool Basketball Tournament Paul VI vs Oak Hill Academy - CBSSports 10 p.m. eastern.

Josiah Freeman's Paul VI team beat Booker T Washington 74 - 60 to advance to finals against Oak Hill Academy.  Thought I would share as offers a chance to get a glimpse of Josiah in action.  Last night he had 9 points, 2 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 steal

http://stats.statbroadcast.com/statmonitr/?id=290716

Anyone watching this tonight?  He's getting pretty good minutes, but Paul VI offense totally runs through Roach and Keels every time down the floor.  They're playing Freeman in a 3/4 role, playing him in the post with flex to the wings.  Hasn't had the ball too much on offense, but looks like a pretty slick passer for the position, when he's had the ball.  Aggressive on-ball defender.

• 1 month later...

It’s weird no doubt. But just like the Frye situation we don’t know any facts. As long as he academically can graduate and legally isn’t in any trouble with the law do we care as long as he’s in a UB uniform next season? Obviously it goes without saying we wish him well and good health and hope it isn’t anything with a family crisis.

Edited by DooleyBull06