Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

12 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Pulling away now but I’m sure that got Nate’s attention. 

They shot horribly for most of the game missing a lot of layups and free throws. But they went on a nice run after the 10 minute mark

Shocking to everyone except those of us who watched his UB teams shoot FTs over the years. Good run. In my heart of hearts, it turns out I didn't want to see them go much further. Oats in the Final Four two years after skipping town would have been a bit much.

• Like 2

With a big story these past couple weeks about oats practice court and how he tapes his court with 4 pt shots for deep 3s, 3 pts for a normal 3, 1 pt for a mid range and 2 pts for a lay up.

I wonder if this has any correlation with oats teams being a poor free throw team, seeing as players in practice are taking less shots in a similar range as a free throw

11 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Shocking to everyone except those of us who watched his UB teams shoot FTs over the years. Good run. In my heart of hearts, it turns out I didn't want to see them go much further. Oats in the Final Four two years after skipping town would have been a bit much.

I was rooting for him to win it all! Why not? Happy for him and the success he has at at Alabama and will certainly have moving forward.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Oats to UNC? They have plenty of cash to cover his buyout.

The buyout is $12,600,000.00.  His current contract is six years and over $19,000,000.00.  They would have to make it worth his while to move.  That means they would be looking at nearly $40,000,000.00 to sign him.

• 3 weeks later...

I see Josh Primo is testing the NBA, but at least he is retaining his eligibility. Hopefully Nate can avoid turning into the NBA minor leagues. It was actually refreshing to see Duke and Kentucky down this year. Hard to hit on new talent every year and not be able to build towards something bigger a couple years down the road. Good luck to the young man and hopefully those he talks to are honest with him, not just telling him what they think he wants to hear. If your not a 1st round NBA pick, it’s tough to stick in the league. even with that there are plenty of former first rounders sitting at home.

3 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I see Josh Primo is testing the NBA, but at least he is retaining his eligibility. Hopefully Nate can avoid turning into the NBA minor leagues. It was actually refreshing to see Duke and Kentucky down this year. Hard to hit on new talent every year and not be able to build towards something bigger a couple years down the road. Good luck to the young man and hopefully those he talks to are honest with him, not just telling him what they think he wants to hear. If your not a 1st round NBA pick, it’s tough to stick in the league. even with that there are plenty of former first rounders sitting at home.

It’s really up to Nate and the type of recruit he wants to bring in. Example...does he wanna target the one and done player(s) out of high school? Or does he want a roster of solid 4 star types that might stay 2 or 3 years? Either way such is life in a P5. Constant roster turnaround. You’re always recruiting. He was fortunate that A) he inherited a talented team and B) he got guys to stay an extra year when he first got hired at Bama.  Then of course those players bought in and the rest was history. But he has shown an ability to recruit already. And his style of coaching is gonna produce NBA talent. So it will be interesting to see which direction he goes.

6 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

It’s really up to Nate and the type of recruit he wants to bring in. Example...does he wanna target the one and done player(s) out of high school? Or does he want a roster of solid 4 star types that might stay 2 or 3 years? Either way such is life in a P5. Constant roster turnaround. You’re always recruiting. He was fortunate that A) he inherited a talented team and B) he got guys to stay an extra year when he first got hired at Bama.  Then of course those players bought in and the rest was history. But he has shown an ability to recruit already. And his style of coaching is gonna produce NBA talent. So it will be interesting to see which direction he goes.

I agree. He also needs those 4 star recruits to buy-in on defense, which is a challenge for the 1 and done type since they usually don't have to do it in high school or their talent is considerably better and can just overwhelm most opponents. That's what make his system go, produce offense from defense.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...