Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

10 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Both Alabama and OSU have unlimited revenue because of football. If you win you’re the man, if you lose it’s a football school. Maryland is NOT a better job.

I didn’t say it is but Jeff Borzello wrote an article saying it’s a top 15 job nationally. He cites the DMV fertile recruiting ground, tradition, fan base and home court advantage as the reasons why.

Edited by DooleyBull06

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

If oats left Alabama for any job besides a true blue blood I'd be shocked

The guy is a builder and at Alabama he has an unlimited budget to build a program in his vision. Its the perfect spot for him 

Exactly, he has all the money he would ever want, the ability to recruit, a program that will back him and unlimited funding. He can and already really had turned that program around. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, skrabukes said:

They're struggling right now. They don't have the go-to guy this year. Lots of stars, but no CJ at the end of the game. They have the talent to turn it around and go deep though.

Saw lots of iso ball, that’s the double edged sword of a team of 4-5 star players. They certainly have talent so Nate will probably get them into shape.

We play iso ball too, so I guess it doesn’t matter home many stars you have 😂

Anyway, we are going to keep improving and playing a more cohesive brand of basketball. Can’t want! Go Bulls!!🤘🏻🤘🏻

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Alabama isn’t sneaking up on anyone this year. 4 & 5 star recruits are great, but they may not dig the underdog and blue collar thing.

We can look at it from a hater’s standpoint or from an a basketball perspective…this years Bama team isn’t as tough as a year ago. Petty and Herb Jones going to NBA have left a void. They have a lot of players from last years team with the addition of a few freshman. As is the case everywhere, freshman are freshman. Especially when the overall age of college basketball players is older across the country bc of covid. This isn’t a case of players not buying in. It’s pretty much the same group as a year ago. Minus two heart and soul players.

11 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Alabama isn’t sneaking up on anyone this year. 4 & 5 star recruits are great, but they may not dig the underdog and blue collar thing.

Agree. Oats lost Jones, Reese, Petty Jr. and Bruner and the first three were there main go to players. In spite of all the 4/5 star players it is still hard to match what they had last year especially with their 3 point shooting being nowhere what it was last year and their defense not being where it was last year. They don’t have a player like we had in Caruthers who when he came in the game for us the entire team defensive intensity picked up. It might be early for Oats but if he has a couple more years of not being in the top echelon in the SEC he might be looking for another job. Last year’s success raised the bar for future success and the added pressure of winning. 

22 minutes ago, John said:

Agree. Oats lost Jones, Reese, Petty Jr. and Bruner and the first three were there main go to players. In spite of all the 4/5 star players it is still hard to match what they had last year especially with their 3 point shooting being nowhere what it was last year and their defense not being where it was last year. They don’t have a player like we had in Caruthers who when he came in the game for us the entire team defensive intensity picked up. It might be early for Oats but if he has a couple more years of not being in the top echelon in the SEC he might be looking for another job. Last year’s success raised the bar for future success and the added pressure of winning. 

Alabama 4-6 in conference. Loss to Kentucky and shot 3-30 from 3’s!!! What has the state of basketball become!! No matter how bad a team shoots, just keep shooting. Let’s not try and change the coaching strategy. Players either drive to the basket and take 3’s. Do players even practice jump shots inside the 3 point line?? I realize it is the state of today’s basketball but the Alabama game was downright ugly as far as shooting percentages. Hey maybe we can have a better overall and conference record than Alabama not the in the grand scheme of things that it will matter. Go Bulls!!!

17 hours ago, John said:

Alabama 4-6 in conference. Loss to Kentucky and shot 3-30 from 3’s!!! What has the state of basketball become!! No matter how bad a team shoots, just keep shooting. Let’s not try and change the coaching strategy. Players either drive to the basket and take 3’s. Do players even practice jump shots inside the 3 point line?? I realize it is the state of today’s basketball but the Alabama game was downright ugly as far as shooting percentages. Hey maybe we can have a better overall and conference record than Alabama not the in the grand scheme of things that it will matter. Go Bulls!!!

Another recap of Alabama after the loss. They are under 30% on 3’s and will drop to 300 out of 358 teams and they only made 9 of 24 on drives to the basket and Oats said he is not going to change anything. This long into a season and you are hoping shots will start to fall good luck on that strategy. When Oats was here he just had the right nucleus of players that probably performed over their forecasts and good for him and our fans. I realize we have our own problems with players not living up to expectations but that is what is wonderful about basketball that you can’t figure sometimes what will happen in this crazy game. Go Bulls!!

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Ivantheturrible said:

As a fan I see nothing wrong with what either said. Like Dooley said, basketball is a trash talk sport. Makes it more interesting to me. From Oats perspective yea you don’t want your assistants saying things but this seems like a big nothing story to me. Hence why it’s from the nypost. 

Have you guys seen the Kent state drama? When trash talk goes too far.