Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

4 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Sorry I don’t know Bonnie basketball but who is that?

Dom Welch. Funny that he was one of Oats’ first offers while he was at UB then we stopped actively recruiting him because we were so loaded (his freshman year being our top 25 year), but now Oats needs him at his SEC school lol

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 5/19/2022 at 12:11 PM, trueblue32 said:

Dom Welch. Funny that he was one of Oats’ first offers while he was at UB then we stopped actively recruiting him because we were so loaded (his freshman year being our top 25 year), but now Oats needs him at his SEC school lol

Welch is now injured but do not know if it is serious or not. So much for leaving Bona for the land of Oz.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Chet said:

What a vibe!! The vibe around the Bulls is the polar opposite. Times have sure changed.

If only we could fine a Diamond in the rough HS Coach every 3-4 years after the last one leaves up we could just keep things on a straight upward trajectory!

It is sad seeing what could’ve been with Nate Oats and the UB Bulls today. Former St Bonaventure Bonnies Dom Welch might have been a UB Bulls player for his final college basketball season if Nate Oats stayed at UB. Nate Oats was the real deal that is why UB really isn’t committed to athletics as a institution they just aren’t. Even if UB hires another Nate Oats what is the point when you know UB as a university isn’t committed to big time athletics. UB is private Canisius Golden Griffins and Niagara Purple Eagles committed. Oh I know UB won by 200 points over Reggie Witherspoon the UB Super Bowl victory.

Look how good the Houston Cougars are again because they made the monetary resources available to be big time UB refuses. For that Houston got sellouts again and a invite to power 5 Big 12 Conference. It isn’t that hard Nate Oats just bought a house on Grand Island he would have stayed if UB matches the Alabama offer. We UB aren’t interested as a school in big time athletics when it comes to the money. I don’t see that ever changing after 30 years as a Division I school again at UB it is what it is but we beat the Bonnies oh boy. The UB Super Bowl parade they beat 2 out of the 3 Catholic Little Three basketball schools with less than 5,000 students and for some reason are afraid to play Niagara deciding to play the powerhouse St John Fisher oh boy in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

Just now, UB Horns Up said:

It is sad seeing what could’ve been with Nate Oats and the UB Bulls today. Former St Bonaventure Bonnies Dom Welch might have been a UB Bulls player for his final college basketball season if Nate Oats stayed at UB. Nate Oats was the real deal that is why UB really isn’t committed to athletics as a institution they just aren’t. Even if UB hires another Nate Oats what is the point when you know UB as a university isn’t committed to big time athletics. UB is private Canisius Golden Griffins and Niagara Purple Eagles committed. Oh I know UB won by 200 points over Reggie Witherspoon the UB Super Bowl victory. Look how good the Houston Cougars are again because they made the monetary resources available to be big time UB refuses. For that Houston got sellouts again and a invite to power 5 Big 12 Conference. It isn’t that hard Nate Oats just bought a house on Grand Island he would have stayed if UB matches the Alabama offer. We UB aren’t interested as a school in big time athletics when it comes to the money. I don’t see that ever changing after 30 years as a Division I school again at UB it is what it is but we beat the Bonnies oh boy. The UB Super Bowl parade they beat 2 out of the 3 Catholic Little Three basketball schools with less than 5,000 students and for some reason are afraid to play Niagara deciding to play the powerhouse St John Fisher oh boy in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Would Oats have actually stayed if somehow we came up with $4 million annually? I’m not 100% sure.

What are you smoking   You are so negative and unrealistic How do you plan to pay Oats or any coach the high $$ of power 5 schools? How do you compare MAC resources and players to SEC?  Do you understand the realities of a SUNY school vs Alabama?

In the holiday spirit, please show some optimism and fairness!!! Yes both football and basketball could be playing better.  But we have a bowl game and basketball will improve.  Both teams gutted by transfers and graduation 

By the way, did you attend UB and do you go to games?

Go Bulls 

• Like 1

I’m at the point where I’m not mad or sad about it anymore. I’m happy for the guy. Dude took a basketball program that really couldn’t care less about basketball and completely flipped it. Basketball in Tuscaloosa is becoming relevant there. Oats is one of those coaches that he can damn near get the best out of all of his players, and they love playing for him. Kind of like John Calipari used to be.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikescherrer8 said:

I’m at the point where I’m not mad or sad about it anymore. I’m happy for the guy. Dude took a basketball program that really couldn’t care less about basketball and completely flipped it. Basketball in Tuscaloosa is becoming relevant there. Oats is one of those coaches that he can damn near get the best out of all of his players, and they love playing for him. Kind of like John Calipari used to be.

My brother went to Alabama and he would only ever speak about football, though he followed basketball and coached it.  

Since Oats’ arrival, he has spoke about it more.  

Indeed, I did get a text where he mentioned this second #1 win of the season.   I do note that I have a recent text from him about how Alabama deserves a place in the BCS Final Four, but that is another story…

15 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

It is sad seeing what could’ve been with Nate Oats and the UB Bulls today. Former St Bonaventure Bonnies Dom Welch might have been a UB Bulls player for his final college basketball season if Nate Oats stayed at UB. Nate Oats was the real deal that is why UB really isn’t committed to athletics as a institution they just aren’t. Even if UB hires another Nate Oats what is the point when you know UB as a university isn’t committed to big time athletics. UB is private Canisius Golden Griffins and Niagara Purple Eagles committed. Oh I know UB won by 200 points over Reggie Witherspoon the UB Super Bowl victory.

Look how good the Houston Cougars are again because they made the monetary resources available to be big time UB refuses. For that Houston got sellouts again and an invite to power 5 Big 12 Conference. It isn’t that hard Nate Oats just bought a house on Grand Island he would have stayed if UB matches the Alabama offer. We UB aren’t interested as a school in big time athletics when it comes to the money. I don’t see that ever changing after 30 years as a Division I school again at UB it is what it is but we beat the Bonnies oh boy. The UB Super Bowl parade they beat 2 out of the 3 Catholic Little Three basketball schools with less than 5,000 students and for some reason are afraid to play Niagara deciding to play the powerhouse St John Fisher oh boy in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Sounds like you need to find another team to cheer for. Oh and Niagara/Paulus won’t play us, not the other way around. Comically uniformed takes. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, UBinMD said:

If only we could fine a Diamond in the rough HS Coach every 3-4 years after the last one leaves up we could just keep things on a straight upward trajectory!

Sarcasm? Bc your point is valid. Obviously lightning won’t strike twice but looking for the next young up and comer should have been the goal. I rather have a guy who is hungry to get the next job than one who is happy where he is. In theory the hungry guy will do anything to win bc winning gets him to the next job. Whereas what we have is just a guy happy to be coaching and this is likely his last head coaching gig.

Edited by DooleyBull06

58 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Sarcasm? Bc your point is valid. Obviously lightning won’t strike twice but looking for the next young up and comer should have been the goal. I rather have a guy who is hungry to get the next job than one who is happy where he is. In theory the hungry guy will do anything to win bc winning gets him to the next job. Whereas what we have is just a guy happy to be coaching and this is likely his last head coaching gig.

True, I guess with the portal we can grab the next young guy, go the mercenary route, not expect to have anyone stay more than 2-3 years in the program, rinse and repeat. I was hoping for more of a Duke or Gonzaga build but it’s really not realistic anymore, nobody will every do that again unless it’s an older coach that has been around and wants a landing spot where his teenage kids can love for several years. Outside of 3-4 destination jobs, everything else is a stepping stone. Look at the Bonnies. Good coach, built a program and he still can’t get the guys to finish there and he’s back to a rebuild. I certainly don’t have the answers and just have to root for Buffalo at this point and the players/coaches in whatever form they come.

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

True, I guess with the portal we can grab the next young guy, go the mercenary route, not expect to have anyone stay more than 2-3 years in the program, rinse and repeat. I was hoping for more of a Duke or Gonzaga build but it’s really not realistic anymore, nobody will every do that again unless it’s an older coach that has been around and wants a landing spot where his teenage kids can love for several years. Outside of 3-4 destination jobs, everything else is a stepping stone. Look at the Bonnies. Good coach, built a program and he still can’t get the guys to finish there and he’s back to a rebuild. I certainly don’t have the answers and just have to root for Buffalo at this point and the players/coaches in whatever form they come.

19 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Schmidt’s value may have dipped slightly but only slightly. I wonder why he hasn’t bolted to this point. He has had opportunities.  But bringing it back to UB…we have to know our place in the world. As things stand we are a stepping stone school. So we should take pride in that. Bc that for two coaches brought us MAC titles and tournament appearances. An on campus basketball arena would go a long way also.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Schmidt’s value may have dipped slightly but only slightly. I wonder why he hasn’t bolted to this point. He has had opportunities.  But bringing it back to UB…we have to know our place in the world. As things stand we are a stepping stone school. So we should take pride in that. Bc that for two coaches brought us MAC titles and tournament appearances. An on campus basketball arena would go a long way also.

Ur 100% spot on. 

• Thanks 1