Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Nate Oats and Alabama

18 hours ago, skrabukes said:

to a top-end league middling program and now getting that team to becoming one of the blue bloods. 

Can they make a final 4 first. Loooong way to go before bama basketball is in the convo of blue bloods. Agree with everything else you said.

Edited by DooleyBull06

3 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

True, but they have the resources to make it happen.

Still a decades away conversation. They’ve never made a final four. And making it there this year or even winning doesn’t make them a blue blood. Great start yes with Oats. But let’s see him finish his career there and win 4 or more titles before that term is thrown around.

53 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Still a decades away conversation. They’ve never made a final four. And making it there this year or even winning doesn’t make them a blue blood. Great start yes with Oats. But let’s see him finish his career there and win 4 or more titles before that term is thrown around.

I can get behind that. Regardless, they are much closer to the top than the bottom of their league and all schools at this point anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

I can get behind that. Regardless, they are much closer to the top than the bottom of their league and all schools at this point anyway.

Oh for sure. Trending up no doubt. Miss Oats. Nothing but love for him. Was ahead of his time while in the MAC. We had a good one. 

I don't think Alabama is a blue blood but I think Nate Oats is on a rocket ship to blue blood status as a coach. So far, everything he has touched has turned to gold. If he keeps Bama up near the top he'll be in discussions for a blue blood position like KU or UK should an opening ever come about.

On 2/3/2023 at 1:59 PM, clodney said:

I don't think Alabama is a blue blood but I think Nate Oats is on a rocket ship to blue blood status as a coach. So far, everything he has touched has turned to gold. If he keeps Bama up near the top he'll be in discussions for a blue blood position like KU or UK should an opening ever come about.

The Michigan job opened right after he took on 'Bama. I wonder if that's the job he'd want above any other?

5 hours ago, promotherobot said:

The Michigan job opened right after he took on 'Bama. I wonder if that's the job he'd want above any other?

Unless something crazy happens with his recruiting class not panning out or players transferring he should be set at Alabama. 4 to 5 million a year should do the trick. Besides after signing the extension he said he loves Alabama, loves the community, loves the area!!! Let’s see isn’t that what all coaches say when they sign extensions?? I think that’s what he said about Buffalo!!!!!

21 hours ago, John said:

Unless something crazy happens with his recruiting class not panning out or players transferring he should be set at Alabama. 4 to 5 million a year should do the trick. Besides after signing the extension he said he loves Alabama, loves the community, loves the area!!! Let’s see isn’t that what all coaches say when they sign extensions?? I think that’s what he said about Buffalo!!!!!

I was about to say that too.

On 2/3/2023 at 9:04 AM, clodney said:

Good for Nate and thank you, once again, to Danny White for taking a chance on him. 

That isn’t how it went down at all. Danny White didn’t find Nate Oats Bobby Hurley was recruiting one of Nate Oats high school players and they hit it off as friends and he hired him on the UB Bulls coaching staff the rest is history. Danny White just rubber stamped the hire as UB athletic director at best. Danny White didn’t discover Nate Oats? Danny White legend on this UB Bulls website is ridiculous in some UB alums own minds. Does Danny White get credit for Maurice Linquist too ridiculous?

Danny White UB is lucky our athletics program survived he was truly thought of as a jerk by many in Western New York. This UB board refuses to see how much of a jerk Danny White was. Winning isn’t great if a person turns off half our UB Bulls fan base and Buffalo media. UB would be better off losing if the alternative is a former Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone type of jerk. Ok the Buffalo Bills won but Saint Doug wasn’t popular in Western New York or the way he left Syracuse Orange when he coached them. Sure Doug Marrone won but at what cost? There are limits you can’t survive with no fans.

Trust me Danny White wasn’t popular here he was as popular in Buffalo as former Buffalo Sabres head coach Ralph Krueger. Ralph Krueger was truly no one liked the crap he pulled here with Jeff Skinner benching a $7 million dollars a season hockey player because Jeff Skinner liked to score goals. Ralph Krueger was a con man he conned a EPL soccer team out of money and the Buffalo Sabres out of money. Again Danny White did more damage than good. UB Bulls won without Danny White a MAC football championship with Turner Gill that was truly loved by Western New York that is something this university missed the boat on Turner Gill and Nate Oats.

I don’t think this UB Bulls website for whatever reason really gets how loved Turner Gill was at all. He is the best UB Bulls football coach ever to this day no UB Bulls coach has won a MAC football championship other than Turner Gill a Buffalo legend of the modern era of UB Bulls football. The Murchie family are way more important why UB Bulls wins today than anything that bum Danny White ever did because Danny White is a bum in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Ok the Buffalo Bills won but Saint Doug wasn’t popular in Western New York or the way he left Syracuse Orange when he coached them. Sure Doug Marrone won but at what cost?

Marrone didn't win jack shit with the Bills.  They were 6-10 in his first season, and finished in a 4-way tie for 7th in the conference in his second season, despite the above-.500 record.  He was universally disliked because he was an asshole, and anyone with half a football mind could see he was a lame duck NFL HC.  His career record as NFL HC is 38-60.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

That isn’t how it went down at all. Danny White didn’t find Nate Oats Bobby Hurley was recruiting one of Nate Oats high school players and they hit it off as friends and he hired him on the UB Bulls coaching staff the rest is history. Danny White just rubber stamped the hire as UB athletic director at best. Danny White didn’t discover Nate Oats? Danny White legend on this UB Bulls website is ridiculous in some UB alums own minds. Does Danny White get credit for Maurice Linquist too ridiculous?

Danny White UB is lucky our athletics program survived he was truly thought of as a jerk by many in Western New York. This UB board refuses to see how much of a jerk Danny White was. Winning isn’t great if a person turns off half our UB Bulls fan base and Buffalo media. UB would be better off losing if the alternative is a former Buffalo Bills coach Doug Marrone type of jerk. Ok the Buffalo Bills won but Saint Doug wasn’t popular in Western New York or the way he left Syracuse Orange when he coached them. Sure Doug Marrone won but at what cost? There are limits you can’t survive with no fans.

Trust me Danny White wasn’t popular here he was as popular in Buffalo as former Buffalo Sabres head coach Ralph Krueger. Ralph Krueger was truly no one liked the crap he pulled here with Jeff Skinner benching a $7 million dollars a season hockey player because Jeff Skinner liked to score goals. Ralph Krueger was a con man he conned a EPL soccer team out of money and the Buffalo Sabres out of money. Again Danny White did more damage than good. UB Bulls won without Danny White a MAC football championship with Turner Gill that was truly loved by Western New York that is something this university missed the boat on Turner Gill and Nate Oats.

I don’t think this UB Bulls website for whatever reason really gets how loved Turner Gill was at all. He is the best UB Bulls football coach ever to this day no UB Bulls coach has won a MAC football championship other than Turner Gill a Buffalo legend of the modern era of UB Bulls football. The Murchie family are way more important why UB Bulls wins today than anything that bum Danny White ever did because Danny White is a bum in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I guess Danny White is off your list for Thanksgiving dinner this year.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Danny White is directly responsible for the most successful years of UB basketball and football (outside of Warde Manuel and Turner Gill) in the past 20 years. The fact the local curmudgeons didn't appreciate someone with vision is our loss. WNY is allergic to new ideas.

Edited by promotherobot
  • Like 5

Good for Nate Oats.  Now he has greater expectations to uphold there.

I was about to comment on some other things...but I don't want to spend another second of my life talking about Danny White, or NYBI, or how they handled some coaching thing years ago.  It's not just done, it's been beaten to death.  And it's no fun whatsoever.  I'd rather concentrate on now.

• Like 3

Even if Alabama isn't a true blueblood, Oats has delivered them to the top of the CBB pyramid and I imagine they'll be in the conversation for the national title most years he's there. He was able to piggyback off the prestige and brand recognition of Bama football and kind of cut in line, so to speak, once they had some on-court success.

In my mind, the only teams that will ever buy out this contract play 48 minutes every game. And I half expect that to become a reality, I think he's a pro coach someday. 

1 hour ago, MuchMany said:

Even if Alabama isn't a true blueblood, Oats has delivered them to the top of the CBB pyramid and I imagine they'll be in the conversation for the national title most years he's there. He was able to piggyback off the prestige and brand recognition of Bama football and kind of cut in line, so to speak, once they had some on-court success.

In my mind, the only teams that will ever buy out this contract play 48 minutes every game. And I half expect that to become a reality, I think he's a pro coach someday. 

He may be able to do it, but he doesn't seem like a guy that would be happy in the Pros. He feels like a college guy to me. No disrespect, NBA coaches are a different breed. Billy Donovan is one of the few to really bridge that in recent history.

9 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

He may be able to do it, but he doesn't seem like a guy that would be happy in the Pros. He feels like a college guy to me. No disrespect, NBA coaches are a different breed. Billy Donovan is one of the few to really bridge that in recent history.

He seems directly in the Donovan, Cal, Pitino typology to me. A slick, media-savvy, relatively young players' coach who has been on the cutting edge of analytics and modern offensive basketball. I imagine he's already on NBA radars. 

5 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

Good for Nate Oats.  Now he has greater expectations to uphold there.

I was about to comment on some other things...but I don't want to spend another second of my life talking about Danny White, or NYBI, or how they handled some coaching thing years ago.  It's not just done, it's been beaten to death.  And it's no fun whatsoever.  I'd rather concentrate on now.

You just did.

On 2/6/2023 at 12:28 AM, UB Horns Up said:

Okay then. Say what you want about Danny White as a person. I don't know him personally and I doubt you do. The impact that Danny had on UB athletics was significant. Numbers don't lie.

• Like 2