Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

It can be done...

DooleyBull06

1 hour ago, 961819 said:

This is my personal belief and I could be wrong here but I just have a feeling that President Tripathi doesn’t care enough about sports to actually take any action towards a student rec center

They don’t care a lick about sports but love that money that comes in from it. And that university exposure we get from making the big dances. And how admissions has probably increased.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

They don’t care a lick about sports but love that money that comes in from it. And that university exposure we get from making the big dances. And how admissions has probably increased.

Exactly. The school has all the potential in the world to follow in the footsteps of Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio State, etc.. Big state school, successful sports programs, land to expand and build more on, but the leadership doesn’t care at all about that and is reluctant to even build something standard to most schools which is a dedicated student rec center. 

4 hours ago, 961819 said:

This is my personal belief and I could be wrong here but I just have a feeling that President Tripathi doesn’t care enough about sports to actually take any action towards a student rec center

The rec center is not a sports issue.  It is a quality of life issue for students.  It is being worked on and should be announced soon.  It is important for admission purposes to show what the  school has for students to do and use.

On 11/21/2019 at 9:18 AM, BrooklynBull said:

I remember it and am not near 70.

I remember it. They had Artis Gilmore. If St Bona had Bob Lanier, it may have been a UCLA/St Bona championship game. Alas, the Bonnies fell, without their best player - Lanier, to Jacksonville. I was a Sophomore at Canisius College, but was rooting for St Bonaventure the whole year. I’ll be 70 in March, if I make it that long.

Edited by squire17

6 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Gabe Grant was on Instagram the night before a recent game posting videos in disbelief that he couldn't get shots up in Alumni.

Unbelievable...

I understand that the facilities are for student use because students pay a ton in fees

BUT

If we want to invest in the athletics program (essentially a marketing arm for the university) we have to do better.

4 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Some of the students do the same thing as well. The amount of complaining about the field house that THEY ARE BENEFITTING FROM that is being paid for privately is insane. I’ve seen less complaining about the basketball team but I don’t think anybody was complaining when we won NCAA tournament games, beat Cuse, etc etc. 

8 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Right on. I know it is being discussed more now than at any point in recent memory, so fingers crossed it will be fully realized.

To your second point, Gabe Grant was on Instagram the night before a recent game posting videos in disbelief that he couldn't get shots up in Alumni.

Long recurring issue. This has been an issue for years sadly enough. 

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

The rec center is not a sports issue.  It is a quality of life issue for students.  It is being worked on and should be announced soon.  It is important for admission purposes to show what the  school has for students to do and use.

You are right. And you are wrong. When the facilities are insufficient to meet demand for both students and athletes then you have a lose lose situation. An investment in a first class recreation center is a must and way over due. I have seen beautiful rec centers at many schools. UB is extremely late to the game. Lastly I hope you’re right that the inertia is finally moving in the right direction. And if it is to be done then do it right and make it a marketing effort to to attract top notch students. 

Edited by UB85
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

That is unfortunate, but probably is going to happen more often as schools realize the financial drain of football programs and the stress that it places on other sports because of Title IX.

Edited by squire17

• 1 year later...
On 12/3/2019 at 5:12 PM, BrooklynBull said:

I don’t think it was announced?