Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Soccer 2022

The soccer team is off to a consistent start.  They have played two games already.  They won both beating Binghamton and Niagara by identical 4-1 scores.

Sunday they pay their third game before classes start stepping up to the Big 10.  Game time at Rutgers is 1:00 PM.  Hopefully a good weather day and will people will be able to back to New York City before being overwhelmed by Jersey Shore traffic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I never expected UB to maintain that goals for/against average against a program ranked in the top 10 in the nation  Leading 1-nil at halftime was fantastic!

To me, Canisius was always going to present an easy way to get back in the win column. For this match to remain 0-0, currently at halftime, is… unexpected. 

12 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

I never expected UB to maintain that goals for/against average against a program ranked in the top 10 in the nation  Leading 1-nil at halftime was fantastic!

To me, Canisius was always going to present an easy way to get back in the win column. For this match to remain 0-0, currently at halftime, is… unexpected. 

Coach Burke noted that Canisius was much improved this year. It was a good match and the UB clamped down at the end of the 2nd half. 8 saves for the Canisius goalie means we had lots of chances, but just couldn't expand the lead. Looking for another W at Duquesne this weekend!

• 3 weeks later...

I went to the game against Akron this past Thursday. UB is clearly on another level than the rest of the MAC teams at the moment.

The defense, anchored by Tess Ford, and with Emily Kelly in net, play at such a high level with major confidence...their positioning is near perfect and rarely give up a good scoring chance.

The midfield and forward play is at a very high pace compared to many other mid-majors...Coach Burke uses substitutions well and the players up top are constantly fresh. There is no drop off when going to the substitutes up top, in fact, the subs have been scoring most of the goals lately, which may be part of the plan in tiring out defenses.

Barring injuries or a major drop in levels, this team should be the top seed in the conference and host the MAC tourney. If they go unbeaten in conference play, an at-large berth could be possible. The Thursday/Sunday MAC schedule is always tough, especially Sunday road games but they have already gotten one of those out of the way. Miami, BG and Ball (probably the best other three teams in the MAC) are all road games so it will be tough to run the table but with the lack of scoring chances this team allows, I wouldn't rule it out.

• 1 month later...

The Bulls will host Miami in the first semi final on Thursday.  Miami beat Ohio 1-0 to advance. game time 5:00.  The Bulls have only one loss this year to #20 Rutgers (who #3 when they played).  This is good news for the Bulls, as that was the only game I was able to get to all season.  With me not there they should continue their winning ways.

The second game is Ball State - Bowling Green.

The winners play next Sunday at 1:00.

All games at UB Stadium

13 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

MAC Champs! Dominating game to match a dominating string of wins this season. So sweet after the heartbreak last season, our 2nd MAC title, first since 2014.

It was a great game, they completely outplayed Ball St. They wanted it more, you could see it.

51 minutes ago, dj_paige said:

I agree, this game was all Buffalo. Always great to see the team waving to the fans after a big win. I hope Ellie Simmons is okay, she got hit in the head near the end of the game and had to be helped up and off the field.

She looked ok when they were putting on the championship tee shirts. The last projection I saw was Buffalo vs Clemson in the first round. The bracket gets released tomorrow at 4pm. It would awesome if they could get at least one win in the tournament. This group is special and play a very team oriented style.

16 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

They face Pittsburgh on Saturday at Pitt. Game time 7:00 PM  Pitt is a 4 seed, so the women get at 13 seed, although they do not seed that low.

Second round is either Georgetown or Hofstra, whose AD is for former UB SA President Rick Cole.

The NCAA seeding doesn't really work that way. The teams in the same bracket as Pitt are not considered to have seeds, but just because Pitt is #4 doesn't mean UB is #13 seed. The unseeded teams in the same bracket as Pitt are mostly selected by geography and to keep travel costs down if possible (although there are other reasons as well).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dj_paige said:

The NCAA seeding doesn't really work that way. The teams in the same bracket as Pitt are not considered to have seeds, but just because Pitt is #4 doesn't mean UB is #13 seed. The unseeded teams in the same bracket as Pitt are mostly selected by geography and to keep travel costs down if possible (although there are other reasons as well).

Ok. Here is to a UB and Hofstra win, with the second round to be played at Hofstra.

On 11/11/2022 at 3:27 PM, UB92 said:

Not sure we get to be called "ahead of the curve" when we were more "part of the problem." Was shameful then, still is now. 

-

“The Mid-American Conference has an enviable and proud men’s soccer tradition,” said Commissioner Dr. Jon Steinbrecher. “The membership has had exceptional success and has been a perennial Top 10 conference, regularly placing multiple teams in the NCAA Tournament with teams making deep runs and winning national championships. However, the challenges of maintaining sufficient membership, given the small number of full members sponsoring the sport, finally caught up to us. If in the future the Conference membership includes more institutions sponsoring men’s soccer, this decision will be reexamined.”

• Like 1