Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Maryland game Sept. 3rd.

zigo230

16 minutes ago, clodney said:

So glad we didn’t try to get any momentum and just took a knee at the end of the first half. It really fired up our boys for the second half where we’ve run 16 plays for 9 total yards…

I mean, they did take a shot to the sideline, and it was nearly picked.  Not sure what level of confidence the coaches have in the QB play.

7 minutes ago, Chet said:

Offense looked brutal. Absolutely non existent. Coach Linguist looks like he has a lot of work to do. Not a great showing.

Good thing we went for that FG down 24 with 6 minutes left on the 20. Nothing like trying to get it 3 points closer and not even trying to think about winning. While the chances of winning were low, they went from low to zero with that FG. Went from down 3 TDs to down 3 TDs with the make. Yippee! I hate the "play to make it look closer" mentality. Play to win or don't bother playing at all.

By the way, it was nice to see the ball go thru the uprights however.

The end result was around where the lines had it, but much lower scoring than anticipated. The overhaul of the O-Line over the past couple of season (via multiple strong players transferring out) seems to have caught up to the squad today. Not sure how much we'll learn about the team next week (should be a big win in the home opener!) so if they can split the next two road games and be 2-2 heading into homecoming, they've got a reasonable shot at a bowl bid. Lots of room to improve after this one, but the MAC East is always something that should be attainable, including this season. On to week 2.

11 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

The end result was around where the lines had it, but much lower scoring than anticipated. The overhaul of the O-Line over the past couple of season (via multiple strong players transferring out) seems to have caught up to the squad today. Not sure how much we'll learn about the team next week (should be a big win in the home opener!) so if they can split the next two road games and be 2-2 heading into homecoming, they've got a reasonable shot at a bowl bid. Lots of room to improve after this one, but the MAC East is always something that should be attainable, including this season. On to week 2.

We had more 1st downs, no turnovers and only 3 penalties. That’s something 

• Like 3

Fun time at the game today.  We were sitting in the lower level on the Terps sidelines around midfield.  Good seats and even better because the large structure on that side (suites and press box) blocked the sun.

The game was about as expected for me.  I posted somewhere that we'd lose around 38-14 and the final was a bit closer so I'll take it.  

I thought the D would get shredded by Taulia and his stable of excellent WR's.  He did hit on 70% of his passes for 290 but the secondary actually hung in there and made some plays.  For much of the first half the tackling was good.  The big chunk running plays really hurt obviously.  But overall the D looked better than last season imo, especially when matched up against a superior offense.  The UB defense *should* play better against similar competition.  We shall see.

The offense kinda' stunk. Especially passing.  No other way to say it.  People down here who know the Terrapins, told me before the game their defense is nothing special and will be their downfall this season.  So the fact UB was stifled for so many drives does not bode well.  As others have said, if Cole Snyder won the QB competition,  that's not a real good sign either.  I was kind of expecting to see Myers or the other QB at some point.  I thought Snyder would be better, but hey, I'll be patient and see what he does against lesser competition and in MAC play.  He was probably nervous and this may have been the hardest game, who knows?  The RB's Washington and Henderson had some pop.  Look forward to seeing more of them.

Sitting amongst Maryland fans, I heard the guys behind me talking about the game and saying UB looked like a high school team, especially their offense..  That kind of hurt.  

Also, I was disappointed when the Bulls received the opening kickoff and what do they do on 1st and 2nd down? Hand off and plow up the middle for like 3 yards, then put Cole in an obvious passing situation which failed.  How about opening the game with some imagination,,, or maybe give Snyder an easy pitch and catch to knock the nerves out.  So conservative.

4 hours ago, skrabukes said:

Good thing we went for that FG down 24 with 6 minutes left on the 20. Nothing like trying to get it 3 points closer and not even trying to think about winning. While the chances of winning were low, they went from low to zero with that FG. Went from down 3 TDs to down 3 TDs with the make. Yippee! I hate the "play to make it look closer" mentality. Play to win or don't bother playing at all.

By the way, it was nice to see the ball go thru the uprights however.

Half joking but when that happened I said to myself coach must know some of his boosters are big gamblers - trying to cover that spread for them 

On 9/3/2022 at 3:09 PM, skrabukes said:

Good thing we went for that FG down 24 with 6 minutes left on the 20. Nothing like trying to get it 3 points closer and not even trying to think about winning. While the chances of winning were low, they went from low to zero with that FG.

Snyder should have been benched after that call to kick a FG. Either play to win or pull your starters so they don't get injured. Mo played to put (three) points on the board and put Snyder back out there when we got the ball back.

I hate the call to kick, I hate it even more that there was an injury risk to Snyder after Mo essentially conceded the game.

Long time, no post. 

Missed almost all of the second half unfortunately but really didn't love what I saw for the most part. 

Some of you mentioned the lack of penalties which is great but I don't know how you all weren't screaming at your TV's when we got 2!!!!!! delay of games on PUNTS!! One shouldn't happen but you can chalk it up to first game jitters. The second one is inexplicable. I was pulling my hair out.

Went in with an open mind with Snyder. I know it's only one game with some decent competition on the other side but the dude looked totally lost. Missing easy throws, making awful decisions that should have ended in more picks and most of all you have to make a decision in the pocket. I know it is a revamped o-line but there were many times he had a while to sit back in the pocket looking downfield for plentyyy of time only to get sacked as if he didn't expect pressure to come eventually. Maybe our receivers were getting no separation (which is likely since I only recognize one receivers name) but dang man you gotta make a decision. Throw it, tuck and run...DO SOMETHING. There were times I was screaming at my TV (again) just for him to make a decision already. It was no surprise when he got sacked. 

Overall it's game one and I'm still hopeful we can improve and end this year with a decent record. 

• Like 1