Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bulls -11.5 vs Holy Cross

zigo230

9 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Not sure how much this game will tell us about this year’s team, but it’s certainly a must-win for Coach Mo.  Go Bulls! 🤘

What this game told me is that Snyder can play QB. It also told me that I don’t see this team under this coaching staff winning more games than it did last year. Can we beat UMass? Akron? Who else? Hope they pull it together and prove me wrong.

1 minute ago, Eagles1105 said:

Lance Leipold doesn’t seem so bad now after all the people were knocking him here for not winning a MAC title but he just beat WVU in Morgantown and the new guy is clearly a failure already. People will be wishing for those 8 win seasons with the MAC title appearance on occasion 

To be fair, Lance’s second season we lost against Albany, and we were 2-10 that year, I think this year is shaping up to be that.

2 minutes ago, Eagles1105 said:

Lance Leipold doesn’t seem so bad now after all the people were knocking him here for not winning a MAC title but he just beat WVU in Morgantown and the new guy is clearly a failure already. People will be wishing for those 8 win seasons with the MAC title appearance on occasion 

I was always confused about the Leipold complaints. People just love to complain and the grass is always greener. But it is like they forgot what UB football has been for the last 25 years besides when he was here.

• Like 2

Pretty pathetic defense at the end there. I mean even before that last pass UB had given up over 400 yards to Holy Cross, forced zero turnovers and took 10 penalties. This coach is on a personal 6 game losing streak.

I mentioned in the other thread our WRs looked much better in the Maryland game(even tho Cole didn’t get the ball out on time) but tonight they connected.  Shoulda kept throwing after it was 28-21. At least the passing attack looked OK.  Everything else was meh.

The secondary has haunted us since this coach took over, unfortunately. I thought they were getting better. 

• Like 2

That was a horribly played game. These bums won’t win a game this year. NO MORE MO. Alnutt single-handedly ruined the UB sport program with horrible coaching hires. I already gave up my basketball season tickets and this will be my last year as a football ticket holder. Alnutt can kiss my ass goodbye. What a waste of taxpayer money this sport program is. They should discontinue football and go D3 with other programs. Those Fredonia State and Oswego games would be legendary. NO MORE MO!

14 minutes ago, Eagles1105 said:

Lol, Lance lost to Albany. Mo just got his initiation to Bulls football. Following Lance's footsteps 

Edited by promotherobot

Just now, promotherobot said:

Lol, Lance lost to Albany. Mo just got his initiation to Bulls football.

He got that last year with him being terrible. It’s now just sunken to new lows. Can’t use the I don’t have my talent excuse with all the transfers he brought in. At least Leipold had something to show in year 1 going 6-6. 

25 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

Saw a pretty humbling Tweet from someone.  

It said for the first time in years…. Buffalo finally has head football and basketball coaches, and an AD who they don’t have to worry about getting hired away by a P-5 program.

Our woman’s coach may be a short timer 

I was watching the end of that Ga Southern game and my wife was waiting, patiently, for it to end.  

After KVT scored, she wondered why everyone was so excited. Her words were something like “they didn’t win the super bowl”.  

So I explained about the Nebraska football history (briefly) and talked about the changing landscape of college football. 

She asked “Has Buffalo’s landscape changed?”  

I didn’t answer, but I thought about it. 

The MAC in football was once somewhat close to the worst P5 conference (15 years ago) but the landscape has changed and I think that the MAC could be the worst FBS college football conference this year.   That’s a sad thought.  

On 9/6/2022 at 5:38 PM, UB92 said:

The "distance" between UB and Maryland is twice as large as the distance between UB and Holy Cross, based crudely on the betting line.

By the way, Holy Cross was picked to win (again) their conference.  The opened the season with a 14 point road win versus Merrimack.

https://patriotleague.org/news/2022/7/26/patriot-league-announces-preseason-football-major-awards-all-league-team-and-poll.aspx

There are a number of ways this game could go.  We could lose by double digits or win by 35 points...and anything in between.

My guess is that IF we show up to play hard, we can win by or above the number...maybe we don't dominate on offense, but win something like 24 - 10.  I suspect it will be a low scoring affair.

If we think "well...this is only Holy Cross"...we can get this:   https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/400869259

Well, our offense showed up but we had no real answer on defense and, of course, more undisciplined play at a variety of times that cost us.   

CCU was a huge 32 point favorite versus Gardner-Webb today, but sleepwalked through the game and needed to score late for the win.   They gave up a lot of yards in the air, so we may be able to move the ball on offense.  Not sure we will be able to slow them down much, though.

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

CCU was a huge 32 point favorite versus Gardner-Webb today, but sleepwalked through the game and needed to score late for the win.   They gave up a lot of yards in the air, so we may be able to move the ball on offense.  Not sure we will be able to slow them down much, though.

One of the few positives today was seeing this. CCU could be a close game. Or we might not score.

First of all - credit to our opponents.  Holy Cross has won their conference 3 years in a row and is ranked in FCS.  They were a well-prepared, well-coached, well-drilled team (except for that third down pass call with 2:30 to go).  There are always some quality teams down there and I'm not going to be one to disparage them.

The good: Cole Snyder looked like the real deal.  He was something like 11 for 12 in the first half for 2 TD's.  The first of which he hit Quian right in stride; the next long play to Marshall, it was underthrown but it gave Marshall a chance to adjust.  The most impressive throws to me were the ones where he rolled out to his left, and as a righty, threw across his body accurately and with enough pace to the receiver.  Several times.  Those are serious throws at this level.  We have a tight end, and one that the QB will use!  We have some receivers that can get separation!  What an improvement on last year.  McNulty - it's like George Costanza, "you're spotting dimes, eating onions, I don't know what to think!" You miss relatively easy ones in other games, but nail a clutch 52 yarder today.  He trots out there and I have no idea what to expect. Way to hit that when it mattered a lot.

The bad: where do we start.  The run game had a hard time running between the tackles.  If you can't do that, the defense can start taking other things away from you.  The defense - hang your heads.  They can't stop the run, and then in the second half they had breakdowns in coverage.  They missed too many tackles, especially for how many guys who should be experienced enough.  It had me wondering, "I know some transfers work out, but in some cases, maybe that guy wasn't playing because he wasn't that good."  They looked like a team with a lot of new players that haven't played together much yet.  But we can't afford to spend 2/3 of a season figuring that out every year.  Penalties - not only were there too many, but they came at horrible times, wiping out good plays otherwise.   Bottom line: you can't win football games playing like this.  You couldn't run; you couldn't stop the run; you took way too many penalties.  That's a recipe for disaster every week. Oh and what was with that punt from the Holy Cross 39 yard line?!  I'm not one of those "never punt" people, but come on, that was a Doug Marrone call there.  Especially since the ensuing punt went about 12 yards.

I would say "well they're a work in progress"...but how many of these guys are grad transfers.  There simply isn't time for them to be "works in progress" - they need to get it down, now, or you might as well ignore them in the future.

Fans: GREAT turnout by the students!  They usually do for the first home game, but I want to commend them even more so today.  Even with the expected halftime exodus, not as many left as I thought.  A word to the athletic program, anyone who's reading this: you have this first home game every year where you get a ton of students to show up.  That's your golden opportunity to put on the best, funnest time ever, so that as many of them as possible may get hooked and keep coming back.  Because by November there's only one section left.  This is your chance every year, make the most of it!  Today was a day when I thought, "this is the kind of college football atmosphere everyone hopes to create..."
That said, I'm really disappointed by the turnout by the rest of the stadium (alums and the community).  The Bills aren't playing tomorrow, it was 80 degrees and sunny out, what more do you want.  The next two home games are on weekends the Bills aren't playing here - promote the heck out of them, make the most of it.  Carpe diem.

As far as I'm concerned, unless you're in some crazy Big 12 game where no one plays defense, scoring 30+ points should be enough to win a football game.  If you don't, it means some other stuff has gone seriously wrong.  The offense wasn't perfect today but they didn't turn it over and that should've been enough points to get a result.

Edited by enrique14150
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BRJACR75 said:

Anybody know if there was even a post game press conference or if there was, anything of note beyond the normal coach speak.

Not sure but there were some quotes in the Buffalo News this morning talking about "not executing" at the end.  Yes, typical canned coach speak, but he obviously took a gut punch from that loss.

Mo is on a personal 6-game losing streak.  People on the MAC board say the Bulls have top-4 talent in the conference but are the worst coached.  I can't disagree. Maybe it's him, maybe it's the assistants.  Not sure, but they need to figure it out quickly.  We have a QB that can distribute the ball and some stud WR's.  They have a big Oline, Dline, new DB's...some solid players.  They need to start winning some games.

• Like 2

The OL is not very good.  When a former DL walk-on (recently put on scholarship) is playing college OL for the first year and seeing significant action, something is wrong.  BTW, at 6'0 , 280, undersized for OL.

Also, maybe going back to 3 linebackers would help stop the run.  5 DB's regardless of the opponent is odd.