Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bulls -11.5 vs Holy Cross

zigo230

On 9/11/2022 at 11:49 AM, zigo230 said:

Not sure but there were some quotes in the Buffalo News this morning talking about "not executing" at the end.  Yes, typical canned coach speak, but he obviously took a gut punch from that loss.

Post game interview Coach Mo said they have practiced hail mary D at least 10 times, end of practices. Said they were ready but had a breakdown, watch the tape and study blah blah. Based on Patterson's quotes, they were coached to have only 1 man jump for the ball, all others defend the goal line/tackle/grab a deflection. As we saw 4 jumped. Self over team on that play, both vets and young DB's. Not good.

And rushing 3 on a hail mary play..why do coaches still do this?1?! Each time I watch the play I see Dolac coached to retreat, then shadow Sluka...from 20 yards away. What good did that do? Better to rush 4-5 and if Sluka runs, a lot more difficult throw. Instead we had players coached to defend no man's land and Sluka winds up to heave, no problem.

Just a sad state of affairs all around. I think this Holy Cross fan summed up my thoughts pretty well:

A collection of P-5 cast-offs is no match for a similar number of fifth year returnees who play as a team for a great coaching staff as the execution on the final play showed.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Erie County said:

This defensive coach can't coach defense. Team looks lousy. Everyone knows you dont rush 3 on a Hail Mary.

How was he a DB coach in the NFL/major P5 DC? 

He rose thru the ranks very quickly. Perhaps he didn't get all of the fundamentals down that would have helped him educate the young players. Being a good or great player doesn't always mean you will be a good/great coach. I still like his passion, his recruiting seems to be at a high level. Now we need the execution and in-game play calling to get up with those things. I'm glass is half full so I still want to support him and the team. LL had a rocky road too and I try to keep that in mind. Unfortunately, my personal expectation (based on the Rosy Bull glasses I wear 😊) may not have been where they should! Go Bulls!!

2 hours ago, Erie County said:

This defensive coach can't coach defense. Team looks lousy. Everyone knows you dont rush 3 on a Hail Mary.

How was he a DB coach in the NFL/major P5 DC? 

Temple rushed four when Willy hit Roosevelt with UB's hail Mary. How did that work out?

The Vikings rushed four against the Cowbiys when Staubach hit Pearson.  How did that work out?

So how many do you rush?

The Hail Mary wasn’t the problem it was the ridiculous UB defense giving up too much ground to put Holy Cross QB in the position to get a Hail Mary to the end zone. The UB Bulls football defensive coordinator is incompetent he should have been fired before the end of the UB post game show it was an embarrassment in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• 2 months later...

Holy Cross (12-0) playing in the FCS quarterfinals tomorrow vs S. Dakota State.  Very impressive season, obviously a well coached team with the biggest W on their schedule provided by our beloved Bulls. I wonder how many teams could say they beat their conference’s eventual champion and lost to an FCS quarterfinalist in the same season?  Here’s hoping the roller coaster ride that was the 2022 season ends with a W on 12/27 🤘

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

Holy Cross (12-0) playing in the FCS quarterfinals tomorrow vs S. Dakota State.  Very impressive season, obviously a well coached team with the biggest W on their schedule provided by our beloved Bulls. I wonder how many teams could say they beat their conference’s eventual champion and lost to an FCS quarterfinalist in the same season?  Here’s hoping the roller coaster ride that was the 2022 season ends with a W on 12/27 🤘

And they got rolled in the second half. Good thing we didn't play the Jackrabbits. 

Wasn't there some talk of SDSU and NDSU going FBS and joining the MAC?