Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

The rise and fall of Buffalo Bulls football why is this happening?

UB Horns Up

I think get away from the Maurice Linquist part. Why are we back to 1999 with all the UB football facilities built privately like the UB field house, the light up Locker rooms, coaches offices, meeting rooms, training facilities etc? Why is this garbage happening because I don’t see this team winning a game after the Holy Cross loss. Buffalo Bulls fans isn’t asking to be Georgia Bulldogs of the SEC. I would love to hear the UB excuse makers explain why we are looking at 0-12 in the MAC?

We were told to suffer with UB Stadium with the very bad scoreboard because we are going to get the UB players the class room or lab for the UB Bulls football players to train. Then watch out UB will dominate the MAC in football for years to come. I also don’t get the hate on Buffalo from New York Bulls fans with reliving the former UB AD Danny White crap again especially when the Buffalo Bills look like they are putting that tired lazy argument mostly by shortsighted bias against Buffalo NYC UB alums to bed. New York City football sucks both the Giants and Jets. Buffalo is Los Angeles or Toronto in the MAC. If Buffalo can win in the big time NFL why the hell can’t UB win in a lower tier Group of Five Conference the Ohio Michigan bus league the MAC.

I am told UB is this state flagship by our governor a New York Public Power House by UB what happened? There is zero excuse that UB Bulls football yearly today can’t be bowl eligible 6-6 Lance Leipold proved that. I am shocked that this UB board in 2022 still defends UB ask no questions ever from the Ivy Tower UB why we suck and what is up extending a 4-8 football coach? Maurice Linquist isn’t defended in Western New York this board is the exception not the rule. But getting past that why does UB football suck still looking at 0-12 when we were told the UB field house was the solution to UB football winning the MAC? Again does the UB coaches want Blue and White donors to play the football and basketball games too other than donate more money. UB athletics is getting old with the excuses and there hand out for more money than the UB athletics director Mark Alnutt throws it away on contract extensions for 4-8 head football coach Maurice Linquist and a mediocre at best basketball coach in Jim Whitesell. Discuss BSF is looking forward to reading the excuses why we suck and extended 4-8 football coaches and mediocre basketball coaches in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up
  • Like 1

• UB Horns Up changed the title to The rise and fall of Buffalo Bulls football why is this happening?

Mostly I think it's the transfer portal. It's also Lance Leipold bolting just a hundred days before kickoff. Maybe Mo Linguist isn't up to the task, but he is owed the same amount of time Lance got. (Lance sucked for the first few years too.)  But the portal may never allow mid-majors to get going because you can't recruit and retain a group of players for more than a season.

The reason UB sports suck is easy. AD Mark All Nutts. He is the worst AD in the NCAA. He has retained lousy coaches. All three should be fired and competent people should be hired. It’s not the transfer portal. Other Bona fide MAC schools put together good seasons. Here’s a fan idea. The next home game EVERYONE should chant: NO MORE MO. Maybe the administration will get the message.

I do believe it took an unneeded risk by hiring a coach that hadn't even been a coordinator for football, but Mo should be allow time to build the program back from the Lance teams.  Not only was Lance's timing back, but it took a number of the key players with him.

Only time will time if Mark's risk will pay off for him.

On 9/24/2022 at 8:58 AM, UBinMD said:

Any idea why Logic Hudgens left the program? He started at Maryland and I even spoke to a couple of his relatives at the game. Now he is gone from the roster but not in the portal from what I can see. 

Can't enter the portal mid-season. So right now even if you're mentally in the portal, you aren't officially in until later.

On 9/23/2022 at 5:12 PM, Fedup said:

The reason UB sports suck is easy. AD Mark All Nutts. He is the worst AD in the NCAA. He has retained lousy coaches. All three should be fired and competent people should be hired. It’s not the transfer portal. Other Bona fide MAC schools put together good seasons. Here’s a fan idea. The next home game EVERYONE should chant: NO MORE MO. Maybe the administration will get the message.

I was chanting at the EMU game but I don't know if Alnutt heard me.

On 9/23/2022 at 5:12 PM, Fedup said:

That's a little unfair for the WBB coach. Let them play a season first. 

Basketball needs a change. We kept the coach to prevent a mass exodus of players. They are all or mostly gone now.  Football needs till the end of the '23 season. 

We need Alnutt to fix basketball. IMO we can go back to the Hofer days if our basketball program is doing great. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2022 at 2:48 PM, promotherobot said:

Mostly I think it's the transfer portal. It's also Lance Leipold bolting just a hundred days before kickoff. Maybe Mo Linguist isn't up to the task, but he is owed the same amount of time Lance got. (Lance sucked for the first few years too.)  But the portal may never allow mid-majors to get going because you can't recruit and retain a group of players for more than a season.

This response is spot on.  P5 poaching of a good UB coach with players following Lance to Kansas, plus the transfer portal, makes it difficult to maintain any type of winning momentum.  Lance's first two years were rough, including a 2-10 season his second year, with a loss to Albany. Holy Cross was ranked 10th in FCS when they played Buffalo. With Buffalo still trying to gel as a team, they were ripe for an upset.  

IMO, having a consistently winning coach over a long period of time is one key to winning consistently.  Need proof.  Look at Frank Solich's reign at Ohio.  But now with the transfer portal, even that is no longer guaranteed.

• Like 2

Lance lost to Albany and I wanted him shipped back to Wisconsin on a chunk of cheddar that same fvckin' day. After watching him turn us around into a top25 team, I admit I was wrong and have a whole new outlook on the struggles of new coaches. I don't like our results this year, but Mo deserves time to right the ship.

9 hours ago, clodney said:

Lance lost to Albany and I wanted him shipped back to Wisconsin on a chunk of cheddar that same fvckin' day. After watching him turn us around into a top25 team, I admit I was wrong and have a whole new outlook on the struggles of new coaches. I don't like our results this year, but Mo deserves time to right the ship.

Plus, Lance obviously wasn't a fluke. He has changed Kansas' fortunes even quicker. Selling out a football game at Kansas and not because the other team brought all of their fans? What he has done so far there is amazing. A shame we got gutted in the process, but I do take pride in the fact that what we had at UB can compete at a higher conference level. ADMA should think on that a little bit. With the right leadership, we can elevate and succeed.

On 9/19/2022 at 5:29 PM, UB Horns Up said:

I think get away from the Maurice Linquist part. Why are we back to 1999 with all the UB football facilities built privately like the UB field house, the light up Locker rooms, coaches offices, meeting rooms, training facilities etc? Why is this garbage happening because I don’t see this team winning a game after the Holy Cross loss. Buffalo Bulls fans isn’t asking to be Georgia Bulldogs of the SEC. I would love to hear the UB excuse makers explain why we are looking at 0-12 in the MAC?

We were told to suffer with UB Stadium with the very bad scoreboard because we are going to get the UB players the class room or lab for the UB Bulls football players to train. Then watch out UB will dominate the MAC in football for years to come. I also don’t get the hate on Buffalo from New York Bulls fans with reliving the former UB AD Danny White crap again especially when the Buffalo Bills look like they are putting that tired lazy argument mostly by shortsighted bias against Buffalo NYC UB alums to bed. New York City football sucks both the Giants and Jets. Buffalo is Los Angeles or Toronto in the MAC. If Buffalo can win in the big time NFL why the hell can’t UB win in a lower tier Group of Five Conference the Ohio Michigan bus league the MAC.

I am told UB is this state flagship by our governor a New York Public Power House by UB what happened? There is zero excuse that UB Bulls football yearly today can’t be bowl eligible 6-6 Lance Leipold proved that. I am shocked that this UB board in 2022 still defends UB ask no questions ever from the Ivy Tower UB why we suck and what is up extending a 4-8 football coach? Maurice Linquist isn’t defended in Western New York this board is the exception not the rule. But getting past that why does UB football suck still looking at 0-12 when we were told the UB field house was the solution to UB football winning the MAC? Again does the UB coaches want Blue and White donors to play the football and basketball games too other than donate more money. UB athletics is getting old with the excuses and there hand out for more money than the UB athletics director Mark Alnutt throws it away on contract extensions for 4-8 head football coach Maurice Linquist and a mediocre at best basketball coach in Jim Whitesell. Discuss BSF is looking forward to reading the excuses why we suck and extended 4-8 football coaches and mediocre basketball coaches in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Classic overreaction 

• Like 1

Last year was weird with all the turnover. Mo did a wonderful in the portal/recruiting which is exciting.

Obviously Holy Cross was bad....and the last 2 weeks were good wins but we were facing backup QBs. Next few weeks will be interesting but I think we got a quality HC. I love him going for it on 4th down and the players seems to like him.

• Like 3

On 10/1/2022 at 8:44 PM, DaBulls99 said:

Classic overreaction 

Keep telling yourself that. UB Bulls aren’t a very good football team. When you feel like you lost as a Buffalo fan but you won you aren’t a very good football team. Deep down we know it the MAC East sucks so bad we’re good that is closer to reality than we are any good. UB Bulls football has fallen big time talent wise since Lance Leipold left. How are we going to sell college football in Western New York with this mediocre product? We had they say 18,615 in attendance about 2,000 more for UB homecoming than opening day. When have we last had over 20,000 for a UB football attendance figure? It has been a while.  

This school is huge we shouldn’t have trouble selling 20,000 football seats for UB homecoming. There is a disconnect between this present UB athletics department the way it is being run and the UB community. If you can’t see that I don’t know what you are watching. We had better UB football attendance when UB football sucked and had Tony Hawk and Screech at UB Stadium. There is a problem currently we can’t sell mediocre football with a coach that seems disconnected from Western New York.

We need a coach that not only wins but sells UB football to the WNY community. Again Lance Leipold won but he wasn’t all that interested in selling UB football to WNY and the UB community either. Again I don’t care what Maurice Linquist next job is he currently employed as the UB football coach and he needs to be out there daily selling UB football at every event in WNY possible from Olean to Rochester. I don’t want to hear Maurice Linquist and Jim Whitesell can’t. UB is there employer that needs to be in the coaches contract you want this job it is a privilege not a right. They are representing the New York State Flagship university they need act like it instead buying time until they can find the quickest door out of WNY. Maurice Linquist isn’t that man sorry but he isn’t. Nate Oats is the best coach that won and reached the WNY community and we sold out basketball games. Along with Felisha Jack won and reached the WNY community. At least these two tried. Find a coach that can sell UB tickets because neither Jim Whitesell nor Maurice Linquist nor UB AD Mark Allnut are up to the task unfortunately in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Sounds like you’ve got all the answers. Easy peazy.

Part of the problem stems from the second a coach/admin/player has any success they’re gone. Tough to have any continuity and develop relationships in the community when people are constantly leaving. Happens everywhere in the G5 and our problems are not unique. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1