Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Buffalo Bills please adopt our Buffalo Bulls

markchicago

The Buffalo Bills are fantastic.  The fan base appears to be  equally fantastic.  Can we somehow get the energy and smarts of the Bills absorbed by our Bulls?  Buffalo is a large community and supportive of good football.  With so many UB grads in the metro area,  we should be able  to generate more support.  I cannot buy the excuse of limited $$.  We can attribute some underperforming teams, unexciting MAC teams and less than state of the art stadium.That all said, we have had some good teams and players in the recent past. 

More than opening the open ended discussion of why do not generate more community support, please have the Bills adopt our  Bulls Let's make an even greater football town 

I grew up a NY Giant fan.  I try to be a Chicago Bear  fan.  I have added the Bills as one of my favorite teams.

Go Bulls and Bills 

Edited by markchicago
Spelling

1 hour ago, markchicago said:

The Buffalo Bills are fantastic.  The fan base appears to be  equally fantastic.  Can we somehow get the energy and smarts of the Bills absorbed by our Bulls?  Buffalo is a large community and supportive of good football.  With so many UB grads in the metro area,  we should be able  to generate more support.  I cannot buy the excuse of limited $$.  We can attribute some underperforming teams, unexciting MAC teams and less than state of the art stadium.That all said, we have had some good teams and players in the recent past. 

More than opening the open ended discussion of why do not generate more community support, please have the Bills adopt our  Bulls Let's make an even greater football town 

I grew up a NY Giant fan.  I try to be a Chicago Bear  fan.  I have added the Bills as one of my favorite teams.

Go Bulls and Bills 

9/29/2018……….look it up…….that was the last, best opportunity to gain some local support

Edited by BRJACR75

33 minutes ago, clodney said:

The city of Buffalo dropped UB like a bad habit once the Bills started winning. The school should go back to focusing on being the State University of New York and stop catering to locals who don't give a $hit.

The "STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK at buffalo"  didn't cause anyone else in the state to give a shit either.  I didn't mind the general idea.  It was the logo and leaving Buffalo pretty much out of it, that sucked.   

48 minutes ago, ChubbyHubby said:

The "STATE UNIVERSITY OF NEW YORK at buffalo"  didn't cause anyone else in the state to give a shit either.  I didn't mind the general idea.  It was the logo and leaving Buffalo pretty much out of it, that sucked.   

Winning consistently, regular bowl appearances (2 out of 3 years at least), competing for MAC championships and finishing between 7-5 and 9-3 annually, given the resources we should have at our disposal. That's what generates interest from non-hardcore alumni and current students. 3/4 of the people I know that root for Penn State (I live in a hot bed of those types of people) didn't go there or have any real connection to them other than they like the school and their tradition. At the Maryland game, which I attended in person, it was a sad environment (in my opinion) for a home opener for a "Big Time Conference" Team. Students were gone after halftime, stands were maybe 1/4 full at kickoff. It did fill in but then went down after halftime.

By my count, there are 39 bowl games (not including the championship playoff semi-final and final), meaning 78 teams make it to a bowl out of 131 possible teams. Doesn't seem like a stretch to compete for that annually. I don't think that is a stretch or a pie in the sky dream. What Lance was building was a consistent winner with solid trench play and a reasonable roster turn that had graduates and some transfers, but the next group waiting in the wings. I don't think we have that now. Our secondary and WR core after this season will be right back to square one for the most part. I really want these guys to win and want the staff to succeed, but the regressions at the end of last season and so far this season have been hard to stomach.

• Like 2

When an Apple Watch has a better resolution than the scoreboard it is time to rethink the fan amenities. The sight lines are awful. Tickets are expensive.

Colorado State has a new $250 million stadium, yet has been awful for the last 5 years. This was their last game when they got blown out by Middle Tennessee, a team that got blown out by recently-upgraded-to-FBS James Madison. When I went there in 2018, tickets were $45.

FcU0G8GWAAU3uP-?format=jpg&name=large

Does UB need a $250 million stadium to get fan support even when the team sucks? No. Would a fraction of that amount, strategically deployed, increase the fan experience to something somewhat resembling a college football stadium? Yes.

It's absolutely outrageous that Syracuse got tax money for their dome when our stadium sucks. It's equally outrageous that there appears to be no vision to upgrade the stadium.

Sweet Home HS doesn't have a track, but the infield of their baseball field overlaps with part of the football field. Maybe we pilot one game a year there? The softball team was playing at Kenmore East so why not try football too.

With the way SUNY politics work, UB is closer to having to drop all sports all together. Or better there will be one SUNY grand stadium for all schools and students to use. It will be centrally located in the state. It will be open to all schools to use for their own events. After all we can't have UB get a brand new stadium and SUNY Delhi not get one...

1 hour ago, everlast2504 said:

With the way SUNY politics work, UB is closer to having to drop all sports all together. Or better there will be one SUNY grand stadium for all schools and students to use. It will be centrally located in the state. It will be open to all schools to use for their own events. After all we can't have UB get a brand new stadium and SUNY Delhi not get one...

They have that, it's called the Dome at Syracuse University. The only thing is nobody gets to play there except SU on the taxpayer dime. So much for a private institution. State taxpayers paid 56% of the original dome. Not sure how much for the $205 million renovation, but I'm sure it was a significant contribution.

On 9/20/2022 at 1:46 PM, clodney said:

The city of Buffalo dropped UB like a bad habit once the Bills started winning. The school should go back to focusing on being the State University of New York and stop catering to locals who don't give a $hit.

You have to have enough of New York State to care for that to work and well they don’t. UB couldn’t sell merchandise like now with this current logo. Put that paragraph up against our current even downstate that could care less about UB would choose the current logo. Hate to break it to you with Danny White he didn’t walk on water. They call the Buffalo Sabres gold yellow Jersey a turd burger that is what the UB paragraph New York Bulls logo was. 18 to 22 years old kids don’t want to wear a paragraph it was ridiculous. Regardless of how one feels about New York Bulls or Danny White the paragraph logo represents Danny White pure arrogance and tone deafness let the little people the fans eat cake then the bum runs away for the little people the fans to pick up and fix the damage he caused with wasted spending on that ugly logo. What is sad some very rich UB alums thought it was a great logo just a complete joke in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

20 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

A winning record may be important (no doubt), but don’t discount the game day experience… sight lines, scoreboard, food trucks, band/student involvement, the list goes on. 

Yes you are right sadly some UB alums don’t see that which is unfortunate in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

On 9/19/2022 at 10:02 PM, markchicago said:

Go Bulls and Bills 

The Bills invited UB to play in their new stadium. We said no. We can't have our college team play in a sparkling new NFL venue, can we. (I know, I know...it's about students at games.)

2 hours ago, promotherobot said:

The Bills invited UB to play in their new stadium. We said no. We can't have our college team play in a sparkling new NFL venue, can we. (I know, I know...it's about students at games.)

It's always a debate.  For years the USF Bulls have been trying to get out of Tampa's NFL Stadium and into an on-campus stadium (scheduled to open 2026).  They hate playing in a huge NFL stadium where a fraction of the students show up.  Just this week a U Miami player said they like playing road games better because Hard Rock stadium has no atmosphere for college football and it's too far for many students to show up.

So yeah, i don't think UB would get more students to a new stadium out in Orchard Park.  Maybe if it was an indoor venue downtown that would be a different story but it isn't.

2 hours ago, promotherobot said:

I mean I get the logic, but let's call a spade a spade.....few students go to the games that are on-campus as it is.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, zigo230 said:

It's always a debate.  For years the USF Bulls have been trying to get out of Tampa's NFL Stadium and into an on-campus stadium (scheduled to open 2026).  They hate playing in a huge NFL stadium where a fraction of the students show up.  Just this week a U Miami player said they like playing road games better because Hard Rock stadium has no atmosphere for college football and it's too far for many students to show up.

So yeah, i don't think UB would get more students to a new stadium out in Orchard Park.  Maybe if it was an indoor venue downtown that would be a different story but it isn't.

This is just me but I'd rather get 25K fans and a handful of students than under 10K of fans and a slightly larger handful of students.

They could start by hosting teams in the Non conference that mean anything. I know your not going to draw Baylor every year but they need to play teams that will draw both local, alumni, but also opposing teams. Army draws well. I’d think getting teams from Florida would draw a bit. Teams that put up points like SMU. I’d love to watch SMU@ UB,  but I’m not gonna go to Wagner@UB, UMass, Temple etc etc

37 minutes ago, Eagles1105 said:

They could start by hosting teams in the Non conference that mean anything. I know your not going to draw Baylor every year but they need to play teams that will draw both local, alumni, but also opposing teams. Army draws well. I’d think getting teams from Florida would draw a bit. Teams that put up points like SMU. I’d love to watch SMU@ UB,  but I’m not gonna go to Wagner@UB, UMass, Temple etc etc

The thing about scheduling is that both teams need to agree to it. Funny how that works. 

31 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

The thing about scheduling is that both teams need to agree to it. Funny how that works. 

Well then attendance is going to continue to suck then. Crap stadium, crap conference schedule. Only way to get butts in the seat is to schedule more appealing non conference games or move conferences and option 2 isn’t happening. If they couldn’t draw when Leipold had them at the top of the MAC than when are they going to draw? 

On 9/21/2022 at 2:12 PM, UB Horns Up said:

You have to have enough of New York State to care for that to work and well they don’t. UB couldn’t sell merchandise like now with this current logo. Put that paragraph up against our current even downstate that could care less about UB would choose the current logo. Hate to break it to you with Danny White he didn’t walk on water. They call the Buffalo Sabres gold yellow Jersey a turd burger that is what the UB paragraph New York Bulls logo was. 18 to 22 years old kids don’t want to wear a paragraph it was ridiculous. Regardless of how one feels about New York Bulls or Danny White the paragraph logo represents Danny White pure arrogance and tone deafness let the little people the fans eat cake then the bum runs away for the little people the fans to pick up and fix the damage he caused with wasted spending on that ugly logo. What is sad some very rich UB alums thought it was a great logo just a complete joke in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I can assure you that UB alums were not included, advised, or had anything to do with Danny White's decision to change the name.  Also, Danny's been gone since 2015, so it's time to move on.  

On 9/24/2022 at 5:00 PM, Eagles1105 said:

Well then attendance is going to continue to suck then. Crap stadium, crap conference schedule. Only way to get butts in the seat is to schedule more appealing non conference games or move conferences and option 2 isn’t happening. If they couldn’t draw when Leipold had them at the top of the MAC than when are they going to draw? 

We had a top 20 coastal Carolina team here last year. Students showed up. General public did not.

I’m of the mindset of “blame the stadium” since our stadium is awful. But to say that fixing OOC scheduling will get butts in seats isn’t the full picture