Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UMass 10-15-22

BrooklynBull

At the risk of stating the obvious, this feels like a classic trap game for the Bulls with MAC favorite Toledo looming next on the schedule.  Can’t overlook this one, after all the Minutemen led EMU 13-0 in the 3rd a couple weeks ago before falling 20-13, and their only win (20-3) came against the other SUNY “flagship”. Of course, they also got whipped 55-10 by Toledo in Week 2. I would like to see a similar outcome in UB’s favor this week. Go Bulls! 🤘

3 hours ago, Bluebird96 said:

At the risk of stating the obvious, this feels like a classic trap game for the Bulls with MAC favorite Toledo looming next on the schedule.  Can’t overlook this one, after all the Minutemen led EMU 13-0 in the 3rd a couple weeks ago before falling 20-13, and their only win (20-3) came against the other SUNY “flagship”. Of course, they also got whipped 55-10 by Toledo in Week 2. I would like to see a similar outcome in UB’s favor this week. Go Bulls! 🤘

Go Bulls! Hopefully after the first 3 games, we aren't overlooking anyone. Need to keep the pressure up and take care of business.

7 hours ago, promotherobot said:

I just grabbed a ticket (Sec 17 Row F).  Who else is going? 17 is behind the UB sideline and still has plenty of seats available.  PRO TIP: UMass charges for parking. Buy it in advance with your ticket and it's $10 instead of $20.

Wish I could, but my daughter’s first collegiate swim meet is this Saturday. I will be doing double duty in the stands listening to UB and watching her swim. Hopefully you see a live win!

16 minutes ago, ubbulls98 said:

See what winning does?  There's a buzz talking about going to games again.

Just a simple observation.  I have a feeling next season there will be a TON of buzz.

Here's hoping you are correct.  At this point I am cautiously optimistic.  Let's get the win against UMass and keep the buzz going.

11 hours ago, promotherobot said:

I just grabbed a ticket (Sec 17 Row F).  Who else is going? 17 is behind the UB sideline and still has plenty of seats available.  PRO TIP: UMass charges for parking. Buy it in advance with your ticket and it's $10 instead of $20.

Would love to go up to (the other) Amherst to see the game, but mom only turns "80" once (this weekend), so needless to say, I'll be in front of the TV screaming and having my usual heart attacks throughout! Go Bulls!!! #UBhornsUP

If I remember correctly a very bad UMASS team beat us on the last game of the season to stop us from getting our 6th win a few years ago. Can’t take any game for granted. 
Was planning on going as soon as the game was scheduled but a cousin decided to get married the same day in NC….. maybe next time.

that said, winning does have me considering the last game vs Kent St, weather permitting.

I saw this in the write up. Not really impressive, but tells me he likes to run. Can't get ourselves into a Holy Cross QB situation. The Minutemen are led by quarterback Gino Campiotti who has throw for 257 yards and a touchdown and rushed for 374 yards and two scores on the season.

Not to say HC wasn't a bad loss, it certainly was, especially considering how we are currently playing, but they are now 5-0 with an average margin of victory (excluding the UB game) of 28.75 points. They beat Yale and Colgate handily, Harvard by 9 on the road and just thrashed Bucknell 57-0. They are obviously the real deal. Similar to LL at Whitewater, having a consistent coaching staff, getting players to stay until their senior year and have many exercise 5th year of eligibility really helps to build a winner at certain levels. Unfortunately for Mid-Majors, it's like managing a Minor League Baseball Team, you have no idea what your roster may be year to year.

Edited by UBinMD

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Similar to LL at Whitewater, having a consistent coaching staff, getting players to stay until their senior year and have many exercise 5th year of eligibility really helps to build a winner at certain levels. Unfortunately for Mid-Majors, it's like managing a Minor League Baseball Team, you have no idea what your roster may be year to year.

Maybe the head coach will be available in a couple years when Mo gets hired elsewhere

Edited by rma

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I saw this in the write up. Not really impressive, but tells me he likes to run. Can't get ourselves into a Holy Cross QB situation. The Minutemen are led by quarterback Gino Campiotti who has throw for 257 yards and a touchdown and rushed for 374 yards and two scores on the season.

Not to say HC wasn't a bad loss, it certainly was, especially considering how we are currently playing, but they are now 5-0 with an average margin of victory (excluding the UB game) of 28.75 points. They beat Yale and Colgate handily, Harvard by 9 on the road and just thrashed Bucknell 57-0. They are obviously the real deal. Similar to LL at Whitewater, having a consistent coaching staff, getting players to stay until their senior year and have many exercise 5th year of eligibility really helps to build a winner at certain levels. Unfortunately for Mid-Majors, it's like managing a Minor League Baseball Team, you have no idea what your roster may be year to year.

FWIW, Holy Cross FCS composite rank is  #3 and UB composite is now #76.  The team has been playing better.  Let's keep it going.

• Like 1

The line opened at 15.5, but is now around 17.

UMass (or UMess, as they are appropriately known in the Bottom 10), won 1 game last year, 0 the year before and 1 game in 2019. Their lone win this year is against the other SUNY flagship...

But, relative to previous seasons, the losses this year seem to be closer.  That's something.  

This past week against a 1-loss Liberty team, Umass lost by 18.  A big culprit was their inability to make 3rd downs (1 - 14), though Liberty was never really in trouble.   A 6 - 14 performance by two QBs (for 88 yards) just won't get it done for UMass.

The previous week, UMass visited Ypsilanti and led 13 - 0 midway through the 3rd quarter before EMU rallied for a 20 -13 win.  UMass is pretty inept at throwing the ball, (8 - 18, 87 yards in the EMU game), so they sort of live and die on the ground.  Versus EMU, their QB (Campiotti) ran it 25 times.    Against Liberty, Campiotti rushed for just 14 yards (on 13 carries, which undoubtedly includes some of the negative yards from six sacks).  Garrett Dzuro started, though, but was eventually replaced by Campiotti.  It seems like both should see action versus UB.    In Temple's 28 - 0 win against UMass earlier in the year, they played three QBs (Campiotto, Wise and Olson).  

What to expect this week?  UMass doesn't have a passing attack.   Their best opportunity to move the ball through the air is with Dzuro, it seems.  Dzuro arrived at UMass in 2019, but was redshirted (and took the COVID do over), so he is a sophomore this year.  He is a pro-style QB from St. Eds in Cleveland.   Perhaps UMass will have him start and see if they can't surprise the Bulls by throwing more in the opening parts of the game.  But that likely won't amount to much.

Expect a lot of UMass running the ball, especially with Campiotti, since UB is on film as having a hard time stopping a running QB from the Holy Cross game.  Perhaps UMass uses Campiotti right from the start and has him run around until UB proves they can stop him.  We shall see.

On defense, expect UMass to make some plays (they are better on D this year than previous years), but UB has been able to move the ball through the air with their QB/WR combos.

It would be a big upset if UB loses, but anything is possible if they don't play as hard as they have these past three weeks.   We've already seen that.

• Like 3

Thinking about this game, UB, players-wise, should just be better......

With that said.....I think the onus is primarily on the coaches this week to get these guys ready to go, motivated from the start, and handle their business as they should be able to do.  No sleepwalking....

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 10:30 PM, promotherobot said:

We're in Section 16 Row N. Bought parking in the South Loop

• Like 1

UMass may get a few back 

INJURIES – UMass had nine inactive players Saturday against Liberty: running backs Ellis Merriweather and Tim Baldwin, starting receivers Cam Sullivan-Brown, Rico Arnold and longtime receiver Jermaine Johnson, starting tackle Max Longman, defensive lineman Devin Baldwin, defensive back Te’Rei Powell and fullback Charles Payson.