Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UMass 10-15-22

BrooklynBull

Just a  great win. Both offensive and defensive units played with confidence.  We have seen steady improvements. Congrats to the players and coaches.  

Let's give Coach Linguist some love. With so much player turnover, we needed in game experience to advance our performance and execution.  The program brought in so many new and talented players.  Hopefully we will continue to be destination for good players 

We have a big test next week. We will be tested on both sides of the ball.    Toledo is a very good team.  We hope to see a good crowd turnout. 

We will get our 6 wins.  We have a very reasonable chance to get to 7 wins.  Maybe we can get to 8 wins.  Buffalo should be in every game.  We can win the MAC East and go to MAC championship

I have also noticed very low activity on the Board   Let's enjoy the moment and journey 

Go Bulls!!

Edited by markchicago

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

Way for #UBHornsUp to show up in Amherst MA. Great turnout of Blue. I assume you could us on TV. The home grandstand was quite full of UMass fans. Props to their marching band. They are terrific 

Stayed for fifth quarter despite a long drive ahead of us. Listening to them play The Planets (twice!) was awesome, as was the rest of their show. You have to wonder how few tickets would be sold if that band wasn’t there. 

8 hours ago, rma said:

Stayed for fifth quarter despite a long drive ahead of us. Listening to them play The Planets (twice!) was awesome, as was the rest of their show. You have to wonder how few tickets would be sold if that band wasn’t there. 

It was family weekend at UMass which helped ticket sales.  I understand the band playing after the game, but way play what was played at halftime again?

29 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

It was family weekend at UMass which helped ticket sales.  I understand the band playing after the game, but way play what was played at halftime again?

An investment by the University in the UB band is really needed.  They need 3 times as many member to really sound good at a college football game.  

With 30K students, there is no reason the UB band should look like a High School Band.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

They might have wanted to play the same songs again since they were not able to have vocal accompaniment during halftime. Mars is also not an easy song to march to (it’s in 5/4, and most people have two legs) so they might have played it again to have another or better video of it. It also could be possible that at this point in the season they don’t have enough time to put together a 30 minute show (10 at halftime + 20 after the game) with their schedule and high standards. One of the staff members noted some members played Friday night at hockey, arrived at 8am on Saturday for football, then had hockey right after the football game yesterday. 

21 minutes ago, Sportsfan said:

An investment by the University in the UB band is really needed.  They need 3 times as many member to really sound good at a college football game.  

With 30K students, there is no reason the UB band should look like a High School Band.

More members does not always mean the band sounds better. UB’s lack of an undergrad music education program really hurts it here. FWIW UB’s band is about average in the MAC of the 8 MAC marching bands I’ve seen in person. They’re also larger (and better) than Wake Forest and Vanderbilt’s bands when I saw those.

But yes agreed on the investment. It is getting better though. 10 years ago there were enough people to scrape together a band to send to Cleveland. A few years ago when the men were in Oklahoma and the women were in Connecticut both playing the NCAA tournament at the same time, the band had enough members, staff, and budget to send to both locations.

11 hours ago, rma said:

Sadly I had to leave midway through the third because I had an event to be at by 5. Missed that last touchdown. 

The marching band is the best part of UMass games. My daughter was in that band when she went to UMass for two years. The joke among the band members is football is the warm up act for them. And it's kind of true most years.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rma said:

They might have wanted to play the same songs again since they were not able to have vocal accompaniment during halftime. Mars is also not an easy song to march to (it’s in 5/4, and most people have two legs) so they might have played it again to have another or better video of it. It also could be possible that at this point in the season they don’t have enough time to put together a 30 minute show (10 at halftime + 20 after the game) with their schedule and high standards. One of the staff members noted some members played Friday night at hockey, arrived at 8am on Saturday for football, then had hockey right after the football game yesterday. 

More members does not always mean the band sounds better. UB’s lack of an undergrad music education program really hurts it here. FWIW UB’s band is about average in the MAC of the 8 MAC marching bands I’ve seen in person. They’re also larger (and better) than Wake Forest and Vanderbilt’s bands when I saw those.

But yes agreed on the investment. It is getting better though. 10 years ago there were enough people to scrape together a band to send to Cleveland. A few years ago when the men were in Oklahoma and the women were in Connecticut both playing the NCAA tournament at the same time, the band had enough members, staff, and budget to send to both locations.

I personally feel is all part of the gameday experience.  If SUNY wants to call UB it's flagship, investment in athletics is required.  My entire point was about $$ investments.  AAU school with MAC level investments in Athletics and Band.

Edited by Sportsfan
  • Like 1

I listened to the radio team and the way they said it was over at kickoff, kind of boring game for them, I loved it! Reminded me of how they talked when we dominated from 2018-2020. Even as we started 0-3 and we questioned, Mo stayed the course. His tone in the post-game has changed. Keeping players heads in the game with "we want to win this week, be 1-0 for the week" and that they focus on reviewing the mistakes and learning from them, not focusing a lot on the successes. And they have done that with cutting down the penalties, OLine playing as one, more solid D. The INT's and many near INT's yesterday, need cleaning up.

Back to back games of 7 points allowed is amazing. What's weird is, the view was BGSU had no drive in them at home, yet they had great offensive games earlier and gutted it out vs Miami. UMass just doesn't have the players and we lived in their backfield. So it shows our D can stymy in different ways; one, a good offense, with causing turnovers and another, suffocating a bad O-line.

Edited by RecoveringHillbilly

On 10/15/2022 at 8:27 PM, SGBull said:

Starting the season off 0-3 seems to really have taken the energy out of this board. No one even talking about the game.

I don’t think so UB Bulls starting out 0-3 brought out a lot of energy of constructive criticism of the UB Bulls football program including from me. Maurice Linquist makes double our state Governor salary so he is going to hear it when the UB Bulls aren’t playing well. Again I admit I was wrong and I am glad I was wrong. But I think this UB Bulls team took off on there winning streak when they saw the criticism. Especially Maurice Linquist that stopped making bad coaching decisions in games. Any coach at UB has to understand Buffalo is a professional sports town so there is zero tolerance for learning on the job like amateur hour coaches. You can get away with that at other MAC E-I-E-I-O schools not so much at UB in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like 1