Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

OHIO

ubbulls98

- 49 pass attempts to only 28 rushes. In the 5 wins prior, we averaged 30 pass attempts to 43 rushes. Maybe it's best that we focus on establishing a running game instead of chucking the ball 40 yards down the sideline on the first play of the game.

- 57% of our rushes came from our damn QB and he finished the day with -7 yards on 16 carries. He's been averaging a whopping 1.5ypc this year so I guess we thought it was smart to run him over 2x all other running backs combined... We are wayyyy overcommitted to the damn read option.

- Sacks were 6 to 0 in favor of Ohio (probably why Snyder ended with such awful stats). This game was lost on bad offensive playcalling/decision making and both lines getting their a$$es handed to them.

Edited by clodney

I swear there's just something about that place....they looked like Zombies....no spark or energy

The receivers were going through the motions.  Big Mike went down on first contact how many times.  Cole was seeing ghosts.  DB's looked like they never played before.  The lines were seconds behind in reaction time.  Offensive playbook that got them to 5-0 was forgotten.  Defense had no second half adjustments (which theyve actually been pretty good at this year).  Even MO didnt have his usual spark on the sideline.

I dont know if anybody else noticed, but 3-4 times a UB player with the ball would have a choice between open field one way and a Ohio player the other, and they'd go right to the Ohio player (like right at them) and get tackled.  Big Mike did it once, Cole a couple of times, and a receiver.  Thats just uncanny.

I thought the easier travel might help, but at this point maybe bringing bottled water and packing your own sandwiches might be on the table for next time.  Or make crucifixes and garlic necklaces part of the uniform.

2 hours ago, promotherobot said:

But we still have BGSU on our tail.

We need BG to keep pace with us and Ohio. Can’t go to Detroit with UB and OU in a two team tie, need to get a game up on OU or three way tie with BG. It’s possible the OU vs BG game is OU wins they go to Detroit, OU loses UB goes to Detroit. 

3 hours ago, clodney said:

News flash, there isn't a coach in the country who wants to build a program like Buffalo up for the long term. Every single one of them would move up if given the chance. Stop screaming at Mo. He's actually been pretty impressive imo given the train wreck he inherited.

I was thinking about this the other day - this team keeps playing as well as they have been for much of this season, Mo will have some offers.  Maybe not this coming offseason, but (fingers crossed) a bowl appearance in 2022 and maybe a slightly better season in 2023 and he'll be at the top of some P5 lists.  He's already got 6 years of P5 position coach experience, one year in the NFL, and was going to be Michigan's DC before UB landed him, so there's a pedigree.  And he's clearly a hell of a recruiter.  Young guy with a fiery attitude who players want to play for....if you're a middling P5 program with nothing to lose, why not take a chance?

If he gets this team to a bowl this year, and a bowl next year, IMO, he's earned it and he should take whatever step-up opportunity comes his way.

Edited by UBlearns

1 hour ago, UBlearns said:

If he gets this team to a bowl this year, and a bowl next year, IMO, he's earned it and he should take whatever step-up opportunity comes his way.

You can't fault him for taking the next step as long as he doesn't take the entire coaching staff, 8 of our best players, and duck out before Spring practice begins. Only a complete a$$hole would do that.

57 minutes ago, Ivantheturrible said:

May be a stupid question, but are the standings determined by overall record or conference record? If UB wins out, does Ohio need to lose just one or two games for us to jump them?

Conference. We need Ohio to lose at least one game, preferably to BG. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rma said:

Conference. We need Ohio to lose at least one game, preferably to BG. 

I don’t think it really matters where Ohio drops the game at though.  As long as Ohio has one more loss than UB, they can finish tied or better with BG and still go to the Championship because of the head to head win

2 hours ago, BRJACR75 said:

I don’t think it really matters where Ohio drops the game at though.  As long as Ohio has one more loss than UB, they can finish tied or better with BG and still go to the Championship because of the head to head win

True, by the time Ohio plays BG we will know exactly what we need to happen to get to Detroit if it's still possible. Ohio losing to BG just makes a three way tie UB-OU-BG go to the second tiebreaker rather than OU going 2-0 vs BG and UB.

I try not to post during the games (though I failed a few times) and I try to wait a while after a bad loss to let it sit.

It has been a day now.

Thoughts...

• There was literally no where for the backs (or QB) to run.  And, like another poster mentioned, it seemed they made bad decisions when there was a small hole.
  • There was hardly a pocket when Snyder went back to throw.  You could tell early that he was thinking about how quickly he had to get rid of the ball...but he was patient to a fault sometimes and that got him sacked.  Basically, he never seemed relaxed back there.
  • Snyder just isn't a very good runner.  He seemed to avoid hard contact (which isn't a bad thing) and went down a lot.  If we want him to run a lot, we have the wrong player in at QB.
  • I do hope Snyder continues his development.  He is certainly up and down...and development isn't always a bunch of small steps.  Sometimes it is 3 steps forward and 2 steps backward.
  • Ohio has a good offense and exposed our defensive backfield (and the lack of depth).  We didn't really get much pressure on the QB and when we did, he evaded a tackle, made a move and made positive yards.  Give him credit...he's an experienced MAC QB.  Yesterday was, technically, his 23rd game where he had action.

When you read the post-game/next day quotes from the team, they have already moved on to the next game.  That's the right attitude.  Remember, this team responded when they lost to HC and were 0 - 3.  This one against Ohio was a loss...but next week is the next opportunity to get a win.

Go Bulls.

UB Bulls fans shouldn’t worry Ohio Bobcats weather Ohio will lose one or two games? I worry why UB Bulls let a average at best QB Rourke do whatever he wanted and UB Bulls rolled over and gave up 45 points with a Buffalo offense with no answer accept to just lay down and take a beating pathetic that is on Maurice Linquist that bum in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

11 hours ago, rma said:

True, by the time Ohio plays BG we will know exactly what we need to happen to get to Detroit if it's still possible. Ohio losing to BG just makes a three way tie UB-OU-BG go to the second tiebreaker rather than OU going 2-0 vs BG and UB.

Yea…..I’m looking at it this way.  As long as we get to the point where Ohio has more losses than UB.  It really doesn’t matter what Bowling Green does as long as UB stays even with them.  Bowling Green is third wheel at this point.  Right now all three are even making the turn on to the front stretch and racing for the line..

of course, UB needs to handle their own business first against two weaker teams in CMU and Akron.  

And then see where things stand going into Kent.  We’ll know exactly since that’s the very last and MAC game of the regular season.  All the other games that week are midweek MACtion games.

11 hours ago, rma said:

Ohio losing to BG doesn't make a 3 way tie if UB wins the rest of their games.  That would give UB 1 loss, Ohio 2 losses.  Then, UB has the tie breaker over BG

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2022 at 11:32 PM, UB Horns Up said:

UB Bulls fans shouldn’t worry Ohio Bobcats weather Ohio will lose one or two games? I worry why UB Bulls let a average at best QB Rourke do whatever he wanted and UB Bulls rolled over and gave up 45 points with a Buffalo offense with no answer accept to just lay down and take a beating pathetic that is on Maurice Linquist that bum in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

He's a little better than average. His accuracy is tops in the MAC