Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UBWBB - Buffalo vs Canisius/UBMBB - Buffalo vs Colgate

UBinMD

13 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

I think the frantic unorganized look is more about lack of experience playing with each other, expect it to naturally clean up as they play together 

Why is Hardnett jacking 3s then missing chippies inside. Come on man!

• Thanks 1

Nice win to start the season. Lots of positives. Team is long and created a number of turnovers. Loved their ability to battle back. Cesar looked good. Powell played well too. Foul shooting and 3 point shooting was not good at all. Offense appeared rushed and disjointed at times. Took too many poor shots early in possession. 

• Like 1

Hey that was a lot of fun tonight!  A good crowd, and a team that grew into the game as it went on.  I really, REALLY liked how they stepped up down the stretch on both ends of the floor, the focus and the competitiveness.  This group is going to be a work-in-progress most of this season, which means some bad turnovers and missed defensive assignments.  What needs work: defense and rebounding.  Colgate moved really well off the ball, especially off picks and screens, and the Bulls need to do better at boxing out.  But they did so enough times at the end to take this one.

The stats on this one were wacky - for a long time, UB had way more fouls, Colgate way more foul shots.  UB way more steals, Colgate way more turnovers. UB had more shot attempts. All of these things added up to an even game.

Guys are much more willing this year to fake someone out and take the jump shot.

Powell - like last time, some really nice confident plays and finishes, and a couple lapses.  But stepped up in the second half.
Curtis Jones - he's got several things working for him, adding to last year.  A good floater shot in the lane; getting better at rebounding; willing to take charges (that one he got when Colgate was on a 3 on 1 was awesome); and hitting some from outside.
Adams - hit a couple from outside and was it him with a big block towards the end or was that Smith?
Jo Smith - needs to get tougher and own that position underneath
Jack - found out that he needs to work on his defense a little more, but had a nice drive and layup in the first half.
Hardnett - great to have him back, he made a couple nice defensive plays and that basket underneath on a nice look from Foster at the end
Foster - some nice drives but sometimes down the stretch it seemed like he was trying to do a little too much.
Blocker, Kanye Jones - didn't feature much but they will in other games. I like that depth right now.
Caesar - so fast!  A cool weapon off the bench

Colgate - a slick team that moved off the ball really well

This was a great game to have at this stage, to see how they could compete and who could step up when the game was on the line.  Against a smart team that has been in the NCAA's a few times recently.  Bulls need to get better on defense but today was a good step forward.

• Like 4

Very entertaining game.  They need to work on their defense. Too many easy layups.  They got blacked off by alot of ball screens. 54% free throw shooting isn't good.

Why was the band, cheerleaders, and dazzlers "flipped" in the end section.  I always thought the bad was supposed to be close to the visiting team to cause problems during timeouts. Why move them away?

Edited by bullsbball
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

Very entertaining game.  They need to work on their defense. Too many easy layups.  They got blacked off by alot of ball screens. 54% free throw shooting isn't good.

Why was the band, cheerleaders, and dazzlers "flipped" in the end section.  I always thought the bad was supposed to be close to the visiting team to cause problems during timeouts. Why move them away?

I didn't like them there either.  Students showed up fairly well.  Pretty much filled the East end.

News flash UB Bulls basketball attendance tonight wouldn’t have filled KAC the so called high school gym to this UB alums. UB Bulls drew 500 more fans than the Canisius Golden Griffins basketball team coming off a 20 loss season and no hope with Reggie Witherspoon that most want fired at Canisius. UB alums need to look in the mirror a state school only draws 1,800 on opening night that is embarrassing. Don’t tell me UB basketball is special or it is Western New York’s fault. UB students are too lazy to walk across campus to attend opening night pathetic the blame belong where it alway should be the UB community sucks at attending sports events let’s just be honest with ourselves. UB the school is lacking school pride for such a huge state school that hasn’t changed in 30 plus years and I don’t see it ever changing we draw like small private Catholic schools pathetic be honest enough with the excuses shoulda, woulda, coulda well UB doesn’t draw. UB alumni arena should be sold out every night if there was any UB student pride which there isn’t in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

WBB — virtually no contribution from 3 big players, total of 6 points and 3 rebounds. No real outside or mid-range shooting threat. All offense from guards slashing into the paint or from offensive rebounds, you can't win like that. Add in team's 14-for-26 from the free throw line, that is pretty awful. And if Zakiyah Winfield didn't have a great shooting night (7-for-11), we would have been blown out by Canisius.

So, 10 point win over Daemen was unimpressive, and two point loss to Canisius also unimpressive (or worse). Buffalo needs to improve in a lot of areas.

And then there's the alleged D2 POY Re'Shawna Stone: she played point guard mostly, 3 assists in 37 minutes is pretty low; did not make a basket, got fouled a bunch and made 8 free throws and did have 8 rebounds. Not what I was expecting fro the alleged D2 POY, but as I have said elsewhere, I think that award was bogus, and I'll stop harping on it.

Edited by dj_paige