Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UBWBB - Buffalo vs Canisius/UBMBB - Buffalo vs Colgate

UBinMD

4 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

News flash UB Bulls basketball attendance tonight wouldn’t have filled KAC the so called high school gym to this UB alums. UB Bulls drew 500 more fans than the Canisius Golden Griffins basketball team coming off a 20 loss season and no hope with Reggie Witherspoon that most want fired at Canisius. UB alums need to look in the mirror a state school only draws 1,800 on opening night that is embarrassing. Don’t tell me UB basketball is special or it is Western New York’s fault. UB students are too lazy to walk across campus to attend opening night pathetic the blame belong where it alway should be the UB community sucks at attending sports events let’s just be honest with ourselves. UB the school is lacking school pride for such a huge state school that hasn’t changed in 30 plus years and I don’t see it ever changing we draw like small private Catholic schools pathetic be honest enough with the excuses shoulda, woulda, coulda well UB doesn’t draw. UB alumni arena should be sold out every night if there was any UB student pride which there isn’t in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Go piss off. Beating that dead horse isn’t going to change anything. You obviously have zero context of college basketball attendance from any of our peers. 

This team is fun to watch and beat a quality opponent. The crowd tonight was energetic and into the game. My son and I had a great time. There will for sure be ups and downs but I’m excited to see how this season progresses. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

News flash UB Bulls basketball attendance tonight wouldn’t have filled KAC the so called high school gym to this UB alums. UB Bulls drew 500 more fans than the Canisius Golden Griffins basketball team coming off a 20 loss season and no hope with Reggie Witherspoon that most want fired at Canisius. UB alums need to look in the mirror a state school only draws 1,800 on opening night that is embarrassing. Don’t tell me UB basketball is special or it is Western New York’s fault. UB students are too lazy to walk across campus to attend opening night pathetic the blame belong where it alway should be the UB community sucks at attending sports events let’s just be honest with ourselves. UB the school is lacking school pride for such a huge state school that hasn’t changed in 30 plus years and I don’t see it ever changing we draw like small private Catholic schools pathetic be honest enough with the excuses shoulda, woulda, coulda well UB doesn’t draw. UB alumni arena should be sold out every night if there was any UB student pride which there isn’t in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I was very surprised how empty the season ticket area was especially sections 101-105. But it was great to see the student section filled in. Most of the season ticket holders around me in 113 seem like they didn't renew and/or were a no-show.

With that said, the crowd really got into it especially near the end.

• Like 1

UB sports don't have a big enough dedicated fanbase to fill the arena/stadium unless they are a very good team. It is what it is. Hopefully the fact that it was a Monday night lowered attendance more than what it would be on a weekend. As we saw with those Top 25 teams, if you win, they will show up. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, SGBull said:

UB sports don't have a big enough dedicated fanbase to fill the arena/stadium unless they are a very good team. It is what it is. Hopefully the fact that it was a Monday night lowered attendance more than what it would be on a weekend. As we saw with those Top 25 teams, if you win, they will show up. 

Winning some games will definitely help.  Last night was a good start.

Looked at the box and Blocker and Ceaser were incredibly productive in roughly 10 minutes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dj_paige said:

WBB — virtually no contribution from 3 big players, total of 6 points and 3 rebounds. No real outside or mid-range shooting threat. All offense from guards slashing into the paint or from offensive rebounds, you can't win like that. Add in team's 14-for-26 from the free throw line, that is pretty awful. And if Zakiyah Winfield didn't have a great shooting night (7-for-11), we would have been blown out by Canisius.

So, 10 point win over Daemen was unimpressive, and two point loss to Canisius also unimpressive (or worse). Buffalo needs to improve in a lot of areas.

And then there's the alleged D2 POY Re'Shawna Stone: she played point guard mostly, 3 assists in 37 minutes is pretty low; did not make a basket, got fouled a bunch and made 8 free throws and did have 8 rebounds. Not what I was expecting fro the alleged D2 POY, but as I have said elsewhere, I think that award was bogus, and I'll stop harping on it.

The shooting was abysmal. They had a chance to win it twice; on a layup and at the foul line, even just tie it for OT, and couldn't do it. These are recruited D1 players that don't shoot any better than I do. (Canisius was just as bad.)

1 minute ago, promotherobot said:

The shooting was abysmal. They had a chance to win it twice; on a layup and at the foul line, even just tie it for OT, and couldn't do it. These are recruited D1 players that don't shoot any better than I do. (Canisius was just as bad.)

Seems like there may be some attitude issues on the team, Coach Burke skirted around it a bit in her postgame. I was surprised Ogden didn't get some more PT. The shooting was very poor and if Winfield wants to be the go-to player, she needs to hit those free throws. Hopefully it was a kick in the ass and they do better the next time out.

I'm of the opinion that we weather this season and get thru it as best as we can, Coach Burke has 7 recruits coming in next year and a bunch of our front line players this year will be gone. The Coach Burke era begins in 2023, but she can build culture now and start moving things in the right direction. Go Bulls!!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

There are plenty of good days, and plenty of good reasons, to be critical at UB but yesterday wasn't one of them.  The crowds usually depend on what night it is, and how good the team is.  With so much turnover, I imagine a lot of people weren't too motivated to buy tickets for this season.  Admittedly, my enthusiasm was not too high before this.  The lack of continuity in the roster, in the new NCAA where guys are pretty much free agents every year, I wondered if I could get behind a team like that.  Would the players give a crap about the school and the team?  I had a lot of fun last night.  The players were really fired up afterwards and saluted the fans in the end zone for their support.  It answered a lot of questions for me.  After hitting a ceiling the past two seasons, this feels like a breath of fresh air, no expectations, let's see how they do.  The students showed up last night, the band sounded great.  UB is hardly the only school that wishes they could get more butts in seats, most are facing this problem.  Akron had 2100 last night against a perennially good South Dakota State team. BG had 1300.  Ohio had 2000.  It was a Monday night.  Put the game on a Friday night and you'll get a lot more people.

Canisius? Good for Canisius.  HA! They have EMT's on standby outside their gym not for any player injuries but for their scowling old-fart fanbase.  Ready and willing to remind you of how relevant they were 60 years ago.

Also: Dave Skogman had 12 points in 21 minutes for Davidson last night.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I only saw the second half.  Overall I am encouraged.  Nice opening win against a tough Colgate team.  Hope they continue to build on this.  Also hope they get Chatman back soon, will make them deeper.

Do agree. Just a totally new team with some very good quickness and athletism. Seems really thin in the front court and really did get pushed around by the bigger and stronger Colgate bigs. What is the status of Chatman and whatever happened to Williamson from last year? The big question is can Whitesell get all these players to play together as a team but again there seems to be a nice mix of talent and was impressed with their quickness. Will be a very interesting year to see how this all comes together. Go Bulls!!!

OK, where the hell was that the last 2 seasons? The defensive intensity was phenomenal. Quick hands all over the place with 12 steals on a team that moves the ball pretty well. The counter attacks were impressive too. It felt like a Buffalo basketball game from a few years ago. The only difference was our half court offense seemed a bit out of control and our shooting (despite a misleadingly high % from layups) was pretty mediocre with a bunch of missed runners. They'll get better as the season goes on but WOW I was beyond impressed with the first showing. It's only 1 game but if this keeps up I'll gladly say I was wrong about Whitesell.

One more thing, if Yazid Powell continues to play like that he will be up for MAC POTY.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

This looked like a team that has not played together in a real game atmosphere. Many times during the game there was no player movement and they were really unsure of where to be and who to go to in critical times. The frontline is not very athletic and not deep at all. With Johnson and Salmons are only options we will be in big trouble. Again only one game but this will be a work in progress for Coach Burke and staff. Still not heard about the status of a couple of the other bigs that were not available. Went to both games and the atmosphere at the Canisius game was the best we have seen in years. Go Bulls!!!

I agree with you two - that defensive intensity was impressive.  And yeah they need to get better inside.  If you're not the biggest or most physical guy, you need to be in the best position, and they weren't often owning that space and boxing out.  But really positive things overall from the first regular season game.  It'll be a work in progress.

Can't help but think to what extent the trio of Williams/Segu/Mballa dragged down pace of play when they became the faces of the program. Every player out there last night was prepared to run on the break and nearly every player had several quick footed layups- Ceaser, Powell, Adams and Powell especially.

They'll definitely have growing pains and I think we'll be frustrated with the amount of threes they take considering what their make % will likely be, but it's so much closer to the fun brand of basketball we've been missing.

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

Seems like there may be some attitude issues on the team, Coach Burke skirted around it a bit in her postgame. I was surprised Ogden didn't get some more PT. The shooting was very poor and if Winfield wants to be the go-to player, she needs to hit those free throws. Hopefully it was a kick in the ass and they do better the next time out.

I'm of the opinion that we weather this season and get thru it as best as we can, Coach Burke has 7 recruits coming in next year and a bunch of our front line players this year will be gone. The Coach Burke era begins in 2023, but she can build culture now and start moving things in the right direction. Go Bulls!!

Its not clear to me if there are attitude issues or not. One thing I did see which I thought was unusual is that normally, when players are coming off the court (because they have been subbed out), they slap hands with all of the coaches and all of their teammates as they take their seat on the bench. At least twice, there was no hand-slap by Becky Burke nor one offered by the player. I'm going to keep watching this, and also I'm curious to see if Whitesell or UB opponent's head coaches does the same (and if anyone watches a Syracuse WBB game in person, I'd be curious if FLJ does this or not). Or it may be nothing.

To tell you the truth, when it became clear months ago that almost the entire WBB roster was going to leave, I wrote off this season in my mind. In fact, that's typically what I do whenever a new coach comes new to the program, just as with Lance Leipold. So a poor W-L record this season for WBB would not be a surprise to me, nor would I be upset about it. Attitude issues, on the other hand, are a problem and I wouldn't be happy if there are actually some attitude issues.

Edited by dj_paige

9 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

If you look at prior years, attendance spikes in January and February. It’s normal.

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I thought this roster is mostly hers, recruits and transfers?

14 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I thought this roster is mostly hers, recruits and transfers?

It's all hers, but it comes from a gutted roster with 1 returning player and a coach hired in April. You notice she brought in a lot of 1 year rentals, likely the best she could get. The one player from her previous stop has not been cleared to play and I have a feeling she could help out when she is allowed to play. Nothing against the players she brought in, but I think Coach Burke brought in ready to play players, D2 champions, etc. to get us thru this season and hopefully be .500 or better. Next year is what I would call "her players" with a full recruiting class.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, dj_paige said:

Its not clear to me if there are attitude issues or not. One thing I did see which I thought was unusual is that normally, when players are coming off the court (because they have been subbed out), they slap hands with all of the coaches and all of their teammates as they take their seat on the bench. At least twice, there was no hand-slap by Becky Burke nor one offered by the player. 

During the Daemen game, one of the UB women did something wrong. I couldn't tell what it was. I think the player was celebrating on a basket and then immediately gave up an easy basket. Coach immediately called a timeout and was in her face. Yelled at her for about 15 seconds. I couldn't tell who she was yelling at. Too many UB players in the area as they were going to the bench.

I know it's normal for coaches to yell at players but I found it odd and wondered how the players took it.

Jack seemed to yell at her players alot and it appears the players still liked her.

6 hours ago, bullsbball said:

I was very surprised how empty the season ticket area was especially sections 101-105. But it was great to see the student section filled in. Most of the season ticket holders around me in 113 seem like they didn't renew and/or were a no-show.

With that said, the crowd really got into it especially near the end.

Our family have season tickets in the 114 section and do wonder if all the seats in and around 114 being empty mean some have not renewed for this season and wonder how many in the 101-105 sections have not renewed?? Considering how both teams are almost totally new still wondering how many fans have lost interest?? I think if both teams can show improvement and win some home games it should create some interest. Of course the marketing efforts of this administration have been marginal and with many new faces there should be an added increase to market the product. Are we going to get some programs on game days which should be a given with all the new players?? Maybe some promotions for our home games to get more fans in the stands?? Patience might be the word to see if both teams can improve during the season, Go Bulls!!

19 hours ago, UBinMD said:

No killer instinct. They assumed Canisius was going to roll over after getting down by 8. That 4th quarter was tragic. No flow, terrible execution, missing FT. I hope the men didn’t watch that one 

Agree. Our family was there and it was no surprise on how the team looked. Very unorganized and many times looking to the coach on what play to run and really no team ball or player movement on many occasions. We were overwhelmed in the front court by the quicker more athletic Canisius front court. With only Johnson and Salmons as bigs we will be in big trouble especially in the MAC. The other bigs Coach Burke were probably counting on are not even suited up. Will need to give Coach Burke a chance to come up with some answers and keep in mind every place the coach has been she has turned the program into a winning team after the first year or two. Will keep the patience and continue to support our teams. Go Bulls!!On a side note the Canisius crowd was surprisingly large and loud and not sure where all the fans came from and one total embarrassment was when the team came out after halftime no one could find the ball rack until a few seconds left to start the second half!!! 

30 minutes ago, John said:

Are we going to get some programs on game days which should be a given with all the new players?? 

There are no more printed programs.  If you go to the UBBulls website, under the "Video/Social" tab, go to "Publications" and you'll find the programs there.  I have a copy of the Football roster printed and laminated that I have with me at the games.

27 minutes ago, John said:

Agree. Our family was there and it was no surprise on how the team looked. Very unorganized and many times looking to the coach on what play to run and really no team ball or player movement on many occasions. We were overwhelmed in the front court by the quicker more athletic Canisius front court. With only Johnson and Salmons as bigs we will be in big trouble especially in the MAC. The other bigs Coach Burke were probably counting on are not even suited up. Will need to give Coach Burke a chance to come up with some answers and keep in mind every place the coach has been she has turned the program into a winning team after the first year or two. Will keep the patience and continue to support our teams. Go Bulls!!On a side note the Canisius crowd was surprisingly large and loud and not sure where all the fans came from and one total embarrassment was when the team came out after halftime no one could find the ball rack until a few seconds left to start the second half!!! 

You can win in the MAC without great big players, but you need good shooters, especially from behind the 3 point line. We didn't show that at all, our 3 point or even mid-range shooting wasn't there; the offense was mostly guards slashing into the paint and trying to score one-on-one. But yes, our big players Johnson, Salmons, Ogden were ineffective. Canisius controlled the paint.

1 hour ago, John said:

They actually mentioned the halftime debacle on the broadcast. They said both coaches were yelling at the refs and they ended up putting more time on the clock.

1 hour ago, John said:

On a side note the Canisius crowd was surprisingly large and loud and not sure where all the fans came from and one total embarrassment was when the team came out after halftime no one could find the ball rack until a few seconds left to start the second half!!! 

Happens several times a season at UB (mostly with Men's games). Somebody usually (quickly) finds it behind the UB bench.

It's not like they can "hide" it.

1 hour ago, ChubbyHubby said:

There are no more printed programs.  If you go to the UBBulls website, under the "Video/Social" tab, go to "Publications" and you'll find the programs there.  I have a copy of the Football roster printed and laminated that I have with me at the games.

It’s also in the Horns Up app and there were QR codes in various places around the arena. Was easy to find.