Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Where are they now (Transfer Edition)

bullsbball

With all the transfers last season, I figured I'd see how they were doing after one (or two games):
(Former) UB Men
Josh Mballa (Ole Miss): 3 points in 13 minutes with 6 rebounds and a technical.
Ty Perry (New Haven): No scheduled games until November 16th.
Lucas Saleh (Belmont Abbey): No scheduled games until November 11th. 
Tra'Von Fagan (UMBC): 12 points in 25 minutes. 3 of 7 from the field with 6 rebounds.
David Skogman (Davidson): 12 points in 21 minutes. 4 of 7 from the field. One of 3 from 3 point.

(Former) UB Women
Dyaisha Fair (Syracuse): 18 points in 36 minutes. 7 of 21 FG and 2 of 8 for 3PT.
Georgia Woolley (Syracuse): 8 points in 17 minutes.
Saniaa Wilson (Syracuse): 5 points in 10 minutes.
Cheyenne McEvans (Syracuse): Did Not Play
Dominique Camp (Akron): 2 points on 12 minutes.
Adebola Adeyeye (Kentucky): 6 points in 20 minutes. 2 of 3 from the field. 9 rebounds. 
Loren Christie (USF): 5 points in 13 minutes. 1 of 1 from the field. 
Nia Jordan (Bethune-Cookman): 4 points in 17 minutes. 2 of 3 from the field. 2 rebounds.
Casey Valenti Paea (Long Beach State): No scheduled games until November 10th. 
Kaelonn Wilson (Binghamton): 2 minutes. 1 Foul. No other stats.

Interesting comment on the 'Cuse website about Wilson:
Prior to Syracuse (Buffalo 2021-2022): Appeared in 14 games for the Bills … Averaged 3.6 points per game and 4.4 rebounds.

What happened to Elea Gaba (not that I'll miss her)? Not on the roster this year nor do I find her transferring.

Besides maybe Skogman, Fair and Adeyeye, I wouldn't say any of these transfers are doing so well. Fagan is also doing well. I know, it's still early. So sad these days that players transfer so much. 

Camp was showing promise here.

Just look at Marissa Hamilton from a few years ago. A local article says:
Marissa Hamilton always dreamed of playing Division I basketball and professionally overseas.

Transfered to NAIA Southeastern and then never played. Sat out 2 years and then "transferred" to Merrimack College (where her former teammate Brittany Morrison is an assistant coach).  Had 11 points in 32 minutes. Nice showing.

Why does everybody feel the grass is always greener somewhere else.

For the record, I've never been a Dyaisha Fair fan. She takes too many bad shots and seems to be a "me-first" player. Also never smiles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

With all the transfers last season, I figured I'd see how they were doing after one (or two games):
(Former) UB Men
Josh Mballa (Ole Miss): 3 points in 13 minutes with 6 rebounds and a technical.
Ty Perry (New Haven): No scheduled games until November 16th.
Lucas Saleh (Belmont Abbey): No scheduled games until November 11th. 
Tra'Von Fagan (UMBC): 12 points in 25 minutes. 3 of 7 from the field with 6 rebounds.
David Skogman (Davidson): 12 points in 21 minutes. 4 of 7 from the field. One of 3 from 3 point.

(Former) UB Women
Dyaisha Fair (Syracuse): 18 points in 36 minutes. 7 of 21 FG and 2 of 8 for 3PT.
Georgia Woolley (Syracuse): 8 points in 17 minutes.
Saniaa Wilson (Syracuse): 5 points in 10 minutes.
Cheyenne McEvans (Syracuse): Did Not Play
Dominique Camp (Akron): 2 points on 12 minutes.
Adebola Adeyeye (Kentucky): 6 points in 20 minutes. 2 of 3 from the field. 9 rebounds. 
Loren Christie (USF): 5 points in 13 minutes. 1 of 1 from the field. 
Nia Jordan (Bethune-Cookman): 4 points in 17 minutes. 2 of 3 from the field. 2 rebounds.
Casey Valenti Paea (Long Beach State): No scheduled games until November 10th. 
Kaelonn Wilson (Binghamton): 2 minutes. 1 Foul. No other stats.

Interesting comment on the 'Cuse website about Wilson:
Prior to Syracuse (Buffalo 2021-2022): Appeared in 14 games for the Bills … Averaged 3.6 points per game and 4.4 rebounds.

What happened to Elea Gaba (not that I'll miss her)? Not on the roster this year nor do I find her transferring.

Besides maybe Skogman, Fair and Adeyeye, I wouldn't say any of these transfers are doing so well. Fagan is also doing well. I know, it's still early. So sad these days that players transfer so much. 

Camp was showing promise here.

Just look at Marissa Hamilton from a few years ago. A local article says:
Marissa Hamilton always dreamed of playing Division I basketball and professionally overseas.

Transfered to NAIA Southeastern and then never played. Sat out 2 years and then "transferred" to Merrimack College (where her former teammate Brittany Morrison is an assistant coach).  Had 11 points in 32 minutes. Nice showing.

Why does everybody feel the grass is always greener somewhere else.

For the record, I've never been a Dyaisha Fair fan. She takes too many bad shots and seems to be a "me-first" player. Also never smiles.

Thank you for this, really helpful. I think Skogman will do well, Fair will put up her numbers (I agree with your take on her as well, but I also think she didn't have a lot of confidence in her teammates). Wooley I think will be ok, but will see if she gets passed up for others at SU. I'm glad Fagan is getting a role there and hope he does well. He's a great guy and did really good things for UB and could have quit many times with the challenges he was presented. Mballa is an enigma, just not sure what I think about him.

The remaining, I wish them well, but will not be checking the stat lines for them.

"Besides maybe Skogman, Fair and Adeyeye, I wouldn't say any of these transfers are doing so well. Fagan is also doing well. I know, it's still early. So sad these days that players transfer so much. "

Are we really trying to make a judgement after 1 game?   smh.

48 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

While I agree with your sentiment wrt modern college hoops as a whole, UB under Whitesell has done a solid job protecting its roster against the threat of the portal. Skogman is the only real loss in three years. Mballa essentially graduated and was never coming back this year. The other loses have been disciplinary or mutual partings. We kept our entire 2021 freshman class intact after the four played little to no playing time. Plus the staff still gets credit from me for keeping the band together after Oats skipped town, despite that group never reaching it's full potential in the following years.

And that's not to mention the roster additions from D1, D2, and JUCO transfers. The new transfer portal has been a net positive for UB from where I sit.

• Like 4

Some updates on the 2021 men's transfers:

Malik Zachery (South Plains College): 24 games. 13.9 minutes per game. 7.9 points per game. 3.7 rebounds per game.
    Tranferred to UTEP where he has 2 points in 14 minutes. 1 of 5 from the field. 1 rebound.
Savion Gallion (South Plains College): 32 games. 14.6 minutes per game. 9.9 points per game. 2.8 rebounds per game.
    Transfered to ULM where he has 9 points in 24 minutes. 1 rebound.
Chanse Robinson (Grambling State): 9 games. 9.9 minutes per game. 3.4 points per game. 0.7 rebounds per game.
    No longer on team (Faces kidnapping and assault charges)

So Zachery and Gallion are now at their third school in 3 years. Chanse is probably in prison somewhere.

I assume the rule of sitting out a year is long since gone. When does a player have to sit out?

Edited by bullsbball

24 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

Some updates on the 2021 men's transfers:

Malik Zachery (South Plains College): 24 games. 13.9 minutes per game. 7.9 points per game. 3.7 rebounds per game.
    Tranferred to UTEP where he has 2 points in 14 minutes. 1 of 5 from the field. 1 rebound.
Savion Gallion (South Plains College): 32 games. 14.6 minutes per game. 9.9 points per game. 2.8 rebounds per game.
    Transfered to ULM where he has 9 points in 24 minutes. 1 rebound.
Chanse Robinson (Grambling State): 9 games. 9.9 minutes per game. 3.4 points per game. 0.7 rebounds per game.
    No longer on team (Faces kidnapping and assault charges)

So Zachery and Gallion are now at their third school in 3 years. Chanse is probably in prison somewhere.

I assume the rule of sitting out a year is long since gone. When does a player have to sit out?

Not sure, but one of the women's players that transferred in from USC Upstate is sitting right now, so I am befuddled by what the rules even are anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

I was curious how some of our former players were doing with their new teams and their run to NBA prominence they couldn't get here at UB. Most are 9-10 games into the season, so I thought it was a good sampling:

Skogman - 9 games, 21 minutes, 5.7 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.1 apg, 1.4 TO/game 40% FG, 85.7% FT, 27.3% 3-pt. Looks like he is getting a lot of playing time off the bench, maybe their 6th man (he's averaging 7th most minutes on the team. Looks like he is the end of the rotation. The rest of the team is 5 mpg or less). Not tearing it up as of yet, 0 pts last 2 games in 2 losses with a fair number of minutes. Not sure if this was an upgrade for him yet or not. We will see how conference play goes.

Mballa - 7 games (team has played 8), 8.9 minutes, 3.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 0.1 apg, 0.7 TO/game, 50% FG, 71.4% FT, 100% 3-pt (1-1 so don't get too excited 🤣). He is 11 out of the 13 players in playing time. That may not bode well for him come SEC time. Looks like the team as a whole struggles offensively. They have their top player at 14.0 ppg and second is 11.8 ppg averaging a total of 69.1 ppg, but the last 2 losses they had 55 and 57 respectively. Highest game was 80 against Florida Atlantic, the others were in the low 70s. Not sure this was a vertical move for the big man to gain "status". Time will tell.

Fagan - 10 games, 14.7 minutes, 6.2 ppg, 6.8 rpg (Leads the Team), 1.0 apg, 0.7 TO/game, 45.1% FG, 85.7% FT, 28.6% 3-pt. He's 8th on the team in time played, but seems to be doing well cleaning the glass, leading the team and playing less than half the game. Overall the Retrievers are 6-4 so he seems to be a solid contributor there and could be impactful in conference. They haven't played a really tough schedule overall, a couple of Ivy Teams, some Patriot League, Tulane (lost 89-67) and Georgetown (79-70) were their biggest "name" games this year, even though Georgetown is a shadow of their former selves lately. Their conference doesn't look particularly strong so he may get back to another NCAA this year.

Overall, I'm not sure the guys are fairing much better than if they had stayed, but hopefully they are happy in their new home. I'm surprised by Skogman's stats, lots of time on the court, but not much on any line showing what he is doing out there. I haven't seen any Davidson games so maybe he is being disruptive or contributing in other ways that don't show on the stat sheet. Mballa's regression seems to have followed him, tougher league for sure, but expected him to get his fire back and play well. Seems like they have broken him of jacking up ill advised 3's but maybe it's just due to limited opportunities in his 9 minutes. I think Fagan could be a nice veteran influence on UMBC which could be a big help down the stretch if they are competing for a conference championship and NCAA berth. Will be fun to track these guys this year when conference play begins.

Looking at what we have this year, I'm not sure if Skogman would fit in with this group, unless he would have continued to grow as a down low presence and playing the in-out passing game. As just another perimeter player, not sure he's much of an upgrade over what we have. Mballa could be a Perkins like beast down low, but he didn't seem to want to do that, so again, not sure if we would be better off with his presence. I'm hoping Jack and Smith grow into that role a bit as the season matures. Smith has been much more active the last few games which I like. I also liked his post-game commentary after the Bonnies game, seems like he understands what he needs to do, now it's about execution. I think Fagan would have fit well, but likely similar contribution to what he's bringing to UMBC. Overall I think I'm happier with our current team now than I thought I would be when Skogman and Mballa left.

Go Bulls!!🤘🤘

• Like 6

28 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

Just a little surprised with Skogman. He was doing great last year with the 3s but not so good this year and not even that many attempts.

I wonder if he was told the coach was retiring and the son was taking over. You would think that should be disclosed. Should be interesting to see how they fare in the A10

• 3 weeks later...

I watched Skogman last night vs Fordham. He was playing a power-forward role with the inside game. That really wasn't his game. Only 2 points in 19 minutes. Both FT. No 3 point attempts. Only one attempt from the field. Double digit in points 4 of the 13 games this year.

Boring game, in general. 57-43 Win for Davidson. 29-14 at the half.

Davidson seems to have a lot of tall skinny guys on the team.

Edited by bullsbball

15 minutes ago, bullsbball said:

I watched Skogman last night vs Fordham. He was playing a power-forward role with the inside game. That really wasn't his game. Only 2 points in 19 minutes. Both FT. No 3 point attempts. Only one attempt from the field. Double digit in points 4 of the 13 games this year.

Boring game, in general. 57-43 Win for Davidson. 29-14 at the half.

Davidson seems to have a lot of tall skinny guys on the team.

Doesn't seem like he is showcasing his abilities as of yet. Will see if that changes. They seem to be 70 points or less in most games. 57-43 is very low scoring for D1 men. That seems like the old Princeton teams that just took the air out of the ball. 

6 hours ago, umbc32244 said:

We've enjoyed Tra'Von at UMBC this year; he's found a good niche off the bench. Here's a fun highlight of his tonight.

He was a solid contributor here and a great team player. He overcame some injuries and I believe left here with a couple of degrees. I hope he does great things there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I really wish we could’ve seen a healthy Fagan during his tenure here. Thats it. That’s the post. Lol

Glad he's stayed healthy here so far.

Do you all remember David Kadiri? He started at UMBC in 2013 and was our most decorated recruit in program history...then left after one season before ending up at UB. I was happy for him to find a successful team, though he didn't seem to produce a ton.

11 hours ago, umbc32244 said:

Glad he's stayed healthy here so far.

Do you all remember David Kadiri? He started at UMBC in 2013 and was our most decorated recruit in program history...then left after one season before ending up at UB. I was happy for him to find a successful team, though he didn't seem to produce a ton.

Yes, he was a bench player here and played ok when he had his chances. Seemed like a good guy on the bench.

8 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

This is mad random but remember Ikenna Smart? Didn’t he play in like the most games at UB? 

Smart only played in 2 season at UB (Red Shirted his freshman year) and played in only 57 games at UB (and 27 games at Wake Forest).

Perkins (139), Jordan (135), Graves (131), and Massinburg (130) actually hold the top 4 spots on most games played in their career at UB. 

I found this video (about David Kadiri):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwlY9LAIvC4

Got me wondered what happened to Nikola Rakicevic. I laughed at the time when his profile said: "wants to set the single-game three-point record at UB" and was shooting up bricks. Most three pointers he's ever made in a game was ONE. Played 2 years and then disappeared.

Sad to see all these players think they can make the NBA/Pros when they're just average.

Does Mitchell Watt have the longest Pro career since leaving UB of all the UB Alumni (13 years). Nice to see him still playing:

https://www.proballers.com/basketball/player/60187/mitchell-watt

On the women's side, Cierra Dillard was supposed to be a major pro prospect. Current record holder for most points in a single season at UB (856). Drafted in the second round in 2019. Then waived before the season started. Picked up again and dropped after one preseason game. Not sure where she is now but she dropped like a rock.

Edited by bullsbball