Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

James Madison @ UB - 1pm, Sat. 11/12/22

MuchMany

1 minute ago, Erie County said:

They have 15 fouls, 6 offensive rebounds to 8 defensive rebounds, and 24 FTs. 

That's way too aggressive and not good defense. It was actually pretty bad.

I never said it was good defense

Said it was a good sign that they are still fighting and getting after it, because when the pace slows, fouls get called and your shots don't fall some teams tend to pack it in and go home early 

25 minutes ago, Erie County said:

8 turnovers is under 1.5 games is wild

Should not be on the court if you turn over that much, it’s not like he’s lighting it up either. If this continues, give someone else his minutes until he learns how to hold on to ball, some of it just really poor passing. 

Hard to believe this is the same squad that beat Colgate. I know they’ll have growing pains but to completely abandon the pace of play they established just a few days ago is confusing. 

correct me if I’m wrong but I think they’ve only touched the rim at all with the ball once so far this half.

Edited by BasketBull

Just now, clodney said:

Depressingly bad offense. JMU just showed how to beat us since we’re a horrible shooting team with no inside presence.

I was going to drive the 4 hrs to UConn. Probably scrapping that idea now. 

Don’t waste your time will be a blowout. This might be the worst home performance in over a decade, complete embarrassment..

It doesn't matter if you're a senior-laden squad like last year, or a brand new roster like this year: if you shoot 20-something percent, you're going to lose. I don't even think JMU was that great - they turned it over as much as the Bulls did.  These Bulls still need to work on rebounding and working underneath the net.  Boxing out.  Curtis Jones of all people is probably the best at it right now.  You are not going to win many games getting out-rebounded and shooting that bad.  No matter how many times the plays get you into good shooting spots.  Defensively they were getting beat to the basket too easily at times.  The dribble penetration and kick it back outside for a three only works...if you're actually hitting some of them.  

On the plus side: free throw shooting was way better today.  The defensive intensity is a double-edged sword - they're creating turnovers, but it also results in a lot of fouls.

Powell - kinda what we saw the last two games, some good shots and some bad passes, and couldn't hit anything from 3 (but few could today)
Blocker - more minutes today, and hit a couple shots
Smith - he has the height, but if he's not going to be the type to physically own that territory, he has to do better at being in the right position. And more intentional with the ball.  He was hesitant and passive today.  Gets beat to the basket too easily.
Jack - in a year or so it's going to start coming together. Right now he looks like exactly what he is, a freshman in his second regular season game.  Purposeful movement off the ball on offense.
Foster - I'm going to expect a little more from a grad transfer.  Like Powell and others, just too sloppy today.
Curtis - he's starting to act like a leader.  He's the one who's flying back down the court if they lose the ball - forced two missed layups second half that way.  
Caesar - a guy in our group remarked that he doesn't hustle back on defense in transition.  If he wants more time, has to get better at that.
Adams - the shots weren't dropping, but that goes for about everyone.  Got nailed on a couple travels along the sideline

JMU - a quality opponent that was just less sloppy than the Bulls were today.  26 turnovers isn't something to be happy about.  Got to the line FORTY-ONE times.  Molson looks like he's about 30 years old, and didn't look any better or worse than when he was at Canisius.  

Every minute this team plays right now is useful.  It's all real-time experience they desperately need.  Foul shooting was better, let's see them get better at interior defense and rebounding.

Crowd - okay for a Saturday afternoon.  Student section was mostly full but did absolutely nothing.  DJ's - be better.  They can get anyone with an iPhone to play "Cotton Eye Joe" or "Wobble", come on.

• Like 2

Very bad game. We were sleepwalking and JMU looked every part of an intense veteran mid-major who should complete for an NCAA birth.

But we mostly had no real expectations going into the year and yet some are right back in the panic room after one bad loss. It was always expected to be a roller coaster of a year, especially early on. So while this one stung, especially in person, moving forward I still take just as much if not more from the Colgate game. 

We clearly need to figure out roles within the rotation. Guys didn't know where to be and with JMU's trapping it was a mess. Disappointed that we didn't have better coaching adjustments to deal with that. 

Adams looks rough so far, hoping he's not another transfer in the Antwain Johnson/Gabe Grant mold, as he does come with more pedigree. I'd like to see more of Ceaser and even Zaakir, although the rotation may be too deep as is. Need to run at every chance and steal points until the half court gets tuned up. Also find ways to get Powell running downhill at the rim, better spacing should help.

All in all, still very interested in this season if only a bit lesas optimistic after today. Solid crowd. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

No idea why they haven't adjusted their offense against the defense

After seeing the last two games some observations: JMU are much quicker on both offense and especially on defense. Agree there were no adjustments made by UB. UB would come out and try and pick the JMU player/players and just sort of fake a pick and run toward the basket and then both JMU players would smother the UB ball carrier and he would have no place to go and even see another UB player to pass too. Overall with that many turnovers combined with poor shooting and no ball movement spells a disaster . Happy to finally see Williamson play the last 6 minutes or so. It looks like he is over his injury problems from last year. I wonder why he is not getting some minutes with some of the starters?? Still think we have to give this team some time to play some more games before truly evaluating both the coaches and players. Go Bulls!!

• Like 1