Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Bryan Hodgson

JFH47

Why did we ever let Bryan get on the plane and go back to Alabama after he won the blue-collar tournament this past summer. after watching the blowout of the James Madison game, the time to act is now. The team plays hard but the talent level is just not there. The current head coach has proven that he is a capable assistant under Oates but not a head coach. One of the main qualities of a head coach is recruiting ability, and Hodgson has proven that he can recruit and he can coach. The current A.D. must take a bold step at the conclusion of the season and fire the current coach and hire Hodgkin!!

2 hours ago, JFH47 said:

Why did we ever let Bryan get on the plane and go back to Alabama after he won the blue-collar tournament this past summer. after watching the blowout of the James Madison game, the time to act is now. The team plays hard but the talent level is just not there. The current head coach has proven that he is a capable assistant under Oates but not a head coach. One of the main qualities of a head coach is recruiting ability, and Hodgson has proven that he can recruit and he can coach. The current A.D. must take a bold step at the conclusion of the season and fire the current coach and hire Hodgkin!!

I’ve never seen him coach a game, he can recruit and seems to build relationships with players. No idea if he can coach X and O. Acted a bit immature at that time. Maybe he will be great, maybe he will always be a great assistant. It’s like when the backup QB is the most popular guy in town. Everyone is enamored with what could be and not based on any reality. Oats was an outstanding, championship winning coach. Fortunately that translated to college success. BH does not have that. He feels like a really good assistant coach. No other D1 programs at any level are knocking down his door. I would say the coach of Blue Collar would be a better choice.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 8:07 AM, JFH47 said:

Because of the way he handled himself at that time. 

• Like 2

Because UB was out of there mind not to give Nate Oats contract that we were offering Nate Oats to stay to Bryan Hodgson as the next UB Bulls head coach. We reset the salary with a mediocre at head coach who is too old to coach modern basketball. Jim Whitesell changed our up and down offense and made UB half court boring like he is as a head coach. Teams take on the personality of the head coach. We are going no where unless winning 10 games and losing 20 games is going somewhere? That James Madison game put me to sleep zzzzzzzzzzz. Watch Bonnies Griffs basketball game that night then watch UB James Madison in the afternoon  UB with the huge arena empty seemed like Division 2 or 3 basketball the feel it was hard to watch. If I wasn’t a hardcore Buffalo sports fan no way would I have stuck with that UB game and I certainly wouldn’t buy a ticket to watch that zzzzzzzzz fire Jim Whitesell in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Confused 2

9 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Because UB was out of there mind not to give Nate Oats contract that we were offering Nate Oats to stay to Bryan Hodgson as the next UB Bulls head coach. We reset the salary with a mediocre at head coach who is too old to coach modern basketball. Jim Whitesell changed our up and down offense and made UB half court boring like he is as a head coach. Teams take on the personality of the head coach. We are going no where unless winning 10 games and losing 20 games is going somewhere? That James Madison game put me to sleep zzzzzzzzzzz. Watch Bonnies Griffs basketball game that night then watch UB James Madison in the afternoon  UB with the huge arena empty seemed like Division 2 or 3 basketball the feel it was hard to watch. If I wasn’t a hardcore Buffalo sports fan no way would I have stuck with that UB game and I certainly wouldn’t buy a ticket to watch that zzzzzzzzz fire Jim Whitesell in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Hodgson had no coaching resume to speak of, but he did have a pair of brass ones when he gave the school an ultimatum. 

Edited by promotherobot

1 hour ago, promotherobot said:

Hodgson had no coaching resume to speak of, but he did have a pair of brass ones when he gave the school an ultimatum. 

He's just the shiny toy everyone points to thinking that he is Nate Oats 2.0. As I have said, no other D1 teams have been ringing his phone either, which tells me something.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

He's just the shiny toy everyone points to thinking that he is Nate Oats 2.0. As I have said, no other D1 teams have been ringing his phone either, which tells me something.

We don't know that. He could be garnering interest from smaller schools and turning them down for all we know. He makes more money as an assistant at Bama ($425k) than Jim Whitesell made last year as a head coach ($406k).

I'm not advocating for Bryan Hodgson right now. Didn't we already cross that bridge at the end of last season? We had an opportunity then to fire Whitesell and let someone else rebuild. Our AD played it cheap (once again...) and stuck with the status quo. It makes no sense now to fire him since these are all of his guys in their early years with the program. We would be risking losing all of them and once again starting over. It makes no sense. All we can do now is hope they develop and show progress. 

46 minutes ago, clodney said:

We don't know that. He could be garnering interest from smaller schools and turning them down for all we know. He makes more money as an assistant at Bama ($425k) than Jim Whitesell made last year as a head coach ($406k).

I'm not advocating for Bryan Hodgson right now. Didn't we already cross that bridge at the end of last season? We had an opportunity then to fire Whitesell and let someone else rebuild. Our AD played it cheap (once again...) and stuck with the status quo. It makes no sense now to fire him since these are all of his guys in their early years with the program. We would be risking losing all of them and once again starting over. It makes no sense. All we can do now is hope they develop and show progress. 

Most guys that want to be a HC take a cut and get started somewhere. He just feels to me like a good assistant that will likely always be an assistant.

2 hours ago, Tee4three said:

I still believe if hodgson number one goal was to become a head coach, staying at UB was the quickest way

If he had stayed and continued to recruit at the level they were recruiting he would have been hired away the next season no matter what

You still have to coach players. Can Hodgson coach? We don't know. He hasn't done it anywhere.

16 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

You still have to coach players. Can Hodgson coach? We don't know. He hasn't done it anywhere.

I don't know. He has to start somewhere. I'm not advocating for him now but I can see him being a choice down the road:

- He's a young guy who has spent his entire D1 career working alongside Nate Oats so I think he's more likely to stick to the Oats-style of play than someone like Whitesell who had already been a D1 coach elsewhere.

- He is THE dude when it comes to recruiting for Nate's teams. He brought in a ton of the talent at Buffalo and he's knocking it out of the park in Alabama.

- He's from WNY, which we all know is the most important thing to certain people... and could also contribute to him staying here a little longer than other young up and comers. I'm not saying he's Buffalo's Mark Few but he may not jump at the first opportunity if successful. 

Who knows? I'd rather we spend big bucks or take big chances then just fall back on the Reggie-like option like we did. 

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

Is that their NIL group? Time will tell if we made a poor choice. I like where we are sitting, but their can be mutual success for UB and AK St. it doesn't have to be one or the other. Recruiting was never a question with him. Let's see the product on the court come February/March.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/37836458/three-arkansas-state-players-arrested-theft-charge

LOL

I shouldn’t be laughing bc this can happen at any program. And only 1 of the players is a player Hodgson brought in but the jokes write themselves. 

Well, our program hasn't been without incident in recent history either, unfortunately.

10 minutes ago, skrabukes said:

Well, our program hasn't been without incident in recent history either, unfortunately.

It puts him in a tough spotlight especially coming off the Alabama issues. Even 1 player who has yet to take the court getting in trouble is too much. Rough start. I’m still happy with our decision.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I see Nate threw is boy a bone and has invited Arkansas St to Tuscaloosa on 12/4. Looks like BH has loaded his schedule with away games at some P5 schools and a roadie against Bowling Green. That game should be a measuring stick as to where that team is.

35 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I see Nate threw is boy a bone and has invited Arkansas St to Tuscaloosa on 12/4. Looks like BH has loaded his schedule with away games at some P5 schools and a roadie against Bowling Green. That game should be a measuring stick as to where that team is.

Based on rankings I have seen, Hodgson has done a good job bringing in talent.  He did this through the transfer portal and did not bring in any HS recruits.  Hodgson may produce better short term result.  The question will be over 2 to 4 year period, how do they compare.  Personally I would be fine seeing both Hodgson and Halcovage be successful

13 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Based on rankings I have seen, Hodgson has done a good job bringing in talent.  He did this through the transfer portal and did not bring in any HS recruits.  Hodgson may produce better short term result.  The question will be over 2 to 4 year period, how do they compare.  Personally I would be fine seeing both Hodgson and Halcovage be successful

The transfer portal is similar to one and dones. Every year you’re essentially forming a new team. If this is the route he wants to go then more power to him. As we are seeing, there’s a bunch of ways to form a team. But more important, is winning. If you don’t win none of it matters. If you win players, regardless if they are transfers or high schoolers, will want to play for you.

Edited by DooleyBull06
  • Like 2