Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

2023 Transfer Portal

bulls2684

2 hours ago, rma said:

Portaled a year ago. Was committed to Chattanooga earlier this year

I guess he still hasn’t found a home. Looks like he tweeted this on 11/21/22 and is still listed as a UBFootball grad transfer on his profile and in Buffalo uniform. I guess he lost an entire year. I guess he can try again 

14 minutes ago, promotherobot said:

I wonder how many current players will run for the exits? If you have talent and see the clown show this coaching staff runs how can you consider staying?

We have quite a few seniors and grad transfers, so there will be some pretty significant attrition. I expect Casey Case and Brian Plummer to enter for sure.+

• Like 1

Each year is different rebuilding, developing is a built in excuse for losing on the college, minor league sports and the professional sports level. I like my sports teams to win. There is no “Let’s Make a Deal” television show what is behind curtain number three. There are two curtains in sports Winning Curtain or Losing Curtain. I don’t believe in analytics full time either but I have coached little league before in the 1980’s and can make my own decisions thank you very much. I don’t need a computer or television advice to make a decision for myself for my team. It is this thing called thinking for oneself instead of being a robot with group think what does Billy and Bobby think who cares make your own decisions. Maurice Linquist, Jim Whitesell, Don Granato with the Buffalo Sabres are analytics robot coach there horrible coaches that rely on computers to coach their sports teams pathetic they all should be fired. If Maurice Linquist doesn’t win Friday he should be fired in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I looked at the Portal this morning on 247Sports just to see what it looked like. There are a LOT of people in there already from all over the place. I saw that Miami OH QB Gabbert is in there. I don't envy any college coach at this point for having to deal with that year in, year out.

2 hours ago, UBinMD said:

I looked at the Portal this morning on 247Sports just to see what it looked like. There are a LOT of people in there already from all over the place. I saw that Miami OH QB Gabbert is in there. I don't envy any college coach at this point for having to deal with that year in, year out.

I know this is purely a technicality, but most of these kids are probably not actually in the portal yet. It doesn't open up until December 5th - for most players. The two exceptions to that are: grad transfers who have their degrees - who can enter the portal at any time. And players on teams whose head coaches have been fired - they have 30 days from the firing to enter. 

4 minutes ago, Smee said:

I know this is purely a technicality, but most of these kids are probably not actually in the portal yet. It doesn't open up until December 5th - for most players. The two exceptions to that are: grad transfers who have their degrees - who can enter the portal at any time. And players on teams whose head coaches have been fired - they have 30 days from the firing to enter. 

Yeah, that's what I assumed too and it's probably true, but the list dates back to August 2, 2022 and there are 2 new ones today. They could be grad transfers. One is from Kansas that started at UCF in 2017 so I would hope he's a graduate by now! He must have a year of eligibility left and he wasn't feeling what LL was selling I guess so he is going for a 3rd school. The other is a RB from Austin Peay, who was class of 2021. Interestingly enough, he was offered by Buffalo, Coastal Carolina, etc. originally as well. It's just a wacky new world I guess.

5 minutes ago, zigo230 said:

So all these UB players hitting the portal.. do they go with the team to the Bowl game or no? 

I believe once you have entered the portal, you are no longer technically on scholarship. I guess it would be a team decision, but why would you take a player that say "Peace Out" before their last game? What would be the motivation? Why would the player risk injury? I just think the timing sucks ass, but I'm old and don't agree with these new fangled processes. When I was playing sports, this would be considered quitting on my team, but these are much different times and everyone must look out for themselves.

• Thanks 1

This is the new normal now the transfer portal. That is why every season is different and you are in win now make the pieces to the puzzle work. Good coaches do that bad coaches can’t and they need to find another line of work because coaching isn’t there calling. At least on the major college and professional level it isn’t.

UB Bulls fans alums saying in three years UB Bulls are going to be really good so losing now and next season is ok? Give the UB Bulls coach time patience? That isn’t reality today with the transfer portal those players don’t stick around anymore they transfer this isn’t 1990’s college football and basketball. Look at the UB Bulls football players transferring. Some of them are on UB Bulls leadership committee voted on by the UB Bulls players this season. The only problem I have with the UB Bulls players going to the transfer portal is wait until after your team has no more football or basketball games left before announcing your intentions for next season have some class. Because your not thinking of the other UB Bulls players you played with just yourself in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1 hour ago, BrooklynBull said:

I think this not as bad as not playing so as to not hurt your draft chances.  That is really quitting on your team.

The UB Bulls players quit transfer whatever they quit UB Bulls football period. Let’s not politically correct sugar coat it the UB Bulls players quit on themselves, there teammates and the UB Bulls team itself running into the transfer portal while UB Bulls are bowling is a disgrace. Again when you can’t wait until after the UB Bulls football whole season is over that says something about someone’s character. Quitting is too easy today and it becomes a habit. Well I quit this oh I quit that everyone is to blame but myself. None of these people would I want to play for me no great losses. Now we know why Matt Myers hasn’t played much this season. I would bet the ranch he is a pain in the neck for the coaches to deal with. This is a second transfer portal for Matt Myers. Again kid make a commitment and stick to it. Again practice hard, work hard be engaged with the team if you want to start for UB Bulls football. If you can’t beat out a below average FBS QB in Cole Snyder with your skills you were blessed with more than what Cole Snyder was blessed with that is on you Matt Myers the person. Again Cole Snyder stinks and still Matt Myers you couldn’t beat him out that is on you. I don’t see where Matt Myers is starting in major college football when you can’t beat out Cole Snyder at UB more likely FCS. BSF that is so tough and cold on Matt Myers? Really being honest is tough and cold. Some of these players are in fantasy land you aren’t entitled to start at QB at UB you have to work for it. Deion Sanders was telling the Colorado Buffaloes football team the truth they were 1-11 just go transfer do whatever you have to do. But the NFL isn’t happening when you are 1-11 neither is FBS go to FCS. Major college football is a business and you got to work to have nice things in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up

2 hours ago, zigo230 said:

So all these UB players hitting the portal.. do they go with the team to the Bowl game or no? 

I don’t believe so. To my knowledge you don’t get access to the facilities, can’t work out, etc. You’re a regular student again. Can’t have it both ways. 

42 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

Setting yourself up for success elsewhere when you're playing in the NCAA for $0 and are a bad concussion away from lifetime disability isn't classless, it's the smartest thing they can do.

Degenerate gamblers treating the kids like disposable race horses is classless - the geniuses on here who were hopping mad that a MAC game wasn't being played in a generational snowstorm were pathetic. No one's life is worth losing for a stupid game.

I know sports is a fun diversion in difficult times. But really, in the grand scheme of things - a lot of people here should reassess what's actually important in life.

We are talking about 3 weeks of practice for these guys to stick with the people you have battled with since the spring at least, it Myers' case 5 year. I understand that he was injured for the Akron game so maybe he's done for the year, so be it. It just feels very disingenuous on the players part, but as I have said I am from a generation where you finished a season to the very end. We as college fans are continually told that they are kids, they are an injury away we need to support the team thru thick and thin. This is the type of thing that makes that much more challenging to do.

I would never recommend putting anyone in harms way for blizzards or things of that nature. I'm pretty sure that it is pretty well know by anyone on that field that football is a dangerous game and can end on 1 play. If any player or players parent is not aware, I don't know what to say about that.