Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB @UConn - 7:00 pm - CBSSN

DocCas86

Bulls managed to claw back to a little more respectable margin late in the 2nd half. All in all we couldn’t expect a much different result vs a Top 25 team in their own house with a team that’s obviously a work in progress.  As weak as our 3-Pt shooting has been so far this season, at least we don’t jack them up at an absurd rate (though I could live without Hardnett shooting 2 or 3 per game). On to the next. Go Bulls! 🤘

Blocker impressed me with his fearlessness and athleticism. He should start in my opinion later on the year. His dunk in the 2nd half stunned the whole crowd. Powell and Foster are going to be solid in the MAC even though Powell didn’t have the best offensive game. I really didn’t see much from Curtis Jones and I don’t know if he will improve or not. Jack hustled and tried to make plays. Caesar had a typical Freshman game with nerves and turnovers but I still believe in his talent and see he can be very good. I think he should get more minutes as the year goes on and really should look to start over Jones in my opinion. Lastly where’s Chatman? Any update on his injury? He would have made a difference in this game as we needed more size and rebounding. Overall my key takeaway is this team is young and doesn’t have the experience yet. I think there will be ups and downs throughout the season but at the end of the year we’ll be a decent team. We just need to play those players that play defense and don’t turn the ball over.  Go bulls.

Edited by MKBullsfan

56 minutes ago, Erie County said:

Why did they pick such a hard OOO? Did they think this was the Nate Oats year?

This has to be a troll job right? We complain when we schedule 3 D2 teams and now we are gonna complain about a tough non conference schedule? Come on. The goal for this team is to grow and be better come February into Cleveland. Expect bad nights. Many of them. There’s a lot to figure out as many have already said. But I rather play a difficult non conference. That’s how you grow. Not playing cupcakes and developing bad habits.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, clodney said:

It’s just a bunch of slashing and chucking up bad shots or turning the ball over.

It was all layups and 3's in the Oats years (which Whitesell continued) but those guys shot the ball better.  The point was to just take more shots than the other team.  Even if a lot of them were ugly.  It was the opposite of Reggie's work the ball around till you find THE best shot.  You're right when you wonder where the passing is - when they're playing well and winning, they're getting assists.  Too often (and this goes back a couple coaches), it's just "chuck up a three" or "take turns going to the net on your own."

10 minutes ago, enrique14150 said:

Curtis has been one of the smoothest performers so far, so that surprises me.  Though he is a sophomore, and probably not the finished article yet.

I just don’t see anything that stands out from Curtis so far in my opinion. He just seems average and I don’t know what the hype is about. 

9 minutes ago, MKBullsfan said:

I just don’t see anything that stands out from Curtis so far in my opinion. He just seems average and I don’t know what the hype is about. 

He's added to his game this year - rebounding, mid range jump shot, floater near the net.  He's been more consistent than all the new guys, which makes sense since he's one of the few with a year here already.

Three games in and what do we know about this team.  First, they are extremely inconsistent.  This is not unexpected given the turnover of the roster.  Second, they are capable of beating a solid team like Colgate.  Third, they will have an opportunity to improve throughout the season.  If they improve to be more consistently like the team that beat Colgate, they could make some noise in Cleveland.  Ball is in their court.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

Three games in and what do we know about this team.  First, they are extremely inconsistent.  This is not unexpected given the turnover of the roster.  Second, they are capable of beating a solid team like Colgate.  Third, they will have an opportunity to improve throughout the season.  If they improve to be more consistently like the team that beat Colgate, they could make some noise in Cleveland.  Ball is in their court.

Agreed - I love that the POTENTIAL is there.  And that we've already seen a taste of it.  It's going to be a matter of putting things together consistently.  Which will be a process.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

He's added to his game this year - rebounding, mid range jump shot, floater near the net.  He's been more consistent than all the new guys, which makes sense since he's one of the few with a year here already.

C. Jones tied for the team lead in ppg and rpg and leading in apg. Also a decent assist to turnover ratio at 3.3 to 1.7.

Very early, but Curtis is one of our better shooters from 3 at 30%. Team shooting just 25% (15/60), need to raise that into the low 30’s at least to be somewhat competitive. Work in progress! 

Edited by Bluebird96
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...