Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Akron - Rescheduled 12/2 - 1 PM

UBlearns

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Per athletics they will try to play Sunday.  This would not be the first time that a game was moved to a Sunday in the regular season.  In 2006 hte Miami game was moved to Sunday, because of snow.

Has somebody from UB given Akron step-by-step driving directions so that they can ensure they'll be here? BRJACR75's route is still free of snow. Thruway is open east of the 190. Google maps says it will take 6 hours. I know the commissioner is an Ohio U grad but somebody should be able to explain how lake effect snow works to him.

A good amount of what came down overnight here in Amherst has already melted. And snow removal in the stadium should be easy since we can just push the snow onto the track.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, rma said:

Has somebody from UB given Akron step-by-step driving directions so that they can ensure they'll be here? BRJACR75's route is still free of snow. Thruway is open east of the 190. Google maps says it will take 6 hours. I know the commissioner is an Ohio U grad but somebody should be able to explain how lake effect snow works to him.

A good amount of what came down overnight here in Amherst has already melted. And snow removal in the stadium should be easy since we can just push the snow onto the track.

Another reason to leave the track.

I’ve been putzing around on the Akron Message board today.  Scuttlebutt is the equipment truck came up yesterday, but was then told to go back. Which they did.

don’t know how true that is…..and supposedly there’s a conference meeting in the morning to figure out what to do.

again….don’t know how true any of this is….but what the hell??

How is that he weather this morning ? What are folks hearing?  What is status of football equipment truck?  I understand it turned around to go back to Akron.  How will Akron suit up with no equipment?  Any discussion to move game to another week 

Do not want to see Buffalo lose he change to get to Bowl eligible 

go BULLS

1 hour ago, markchicago said:

How is that he weather this morning ?

I'm northeast of the stadium, but still in a similar snow band as UB and I got 2-3 inches overnight. The southern edge of the band is just north of UB currently. More of the thruway west of Buffalo is open, though the commercial vehicle ban is still in effect to the PA border. Google maps shows a mix of green and orange on Millersport and orange on the 990 and 290 west of Millersport.

May be an image of map, sky and text that says 'SUPER DOPPLER 7:50 AM NIAGARA-ON-THE-LAKE NEWFANE SNOW RATE 1-2"/HOUR 190 LOCKPORT ALBION NIAGARAFALLS FALLS 62 WELLAND 290 AMHERST NEWSTEAD 90 BATAVIA'

The I 86 to I 390 to I 90 West route is still clear.

Since the storm shifted north, my guess is the narrative will be that since Amherst got more snow, Akron won't be able to make it. The reality is if Akron left early and was already here, they would have been able to make it across the street to UB today or tomorrow. I have zero confidence this game will be played and if the rumor of the conference telling Akron's equipment truck to turn around AFTER THEY ALREADY ARRIVED is true (without additional context), Alnutt needs to go off on conference leadership.

Central Michigan and Western Michigan played in a snowstorm this week because the visiting team was already in Mt. Pleasant. Nobody is saying to risk lives and safety to play a football game (as we all remember Niagara's WBB team was stuck on the Thruway in Lackawanna for over 24 hours last apocalyptic snow storm), but rather that the planning of this was so botched that somebody needs to be held responsible. The forecast was always southtowns get an absurd amount of snow on Thursday and Friday, then the weaker band shifts north. There was always a route to get to Amherst that was clear for commercial vehicles, as evident by the equipment truck allegedly making it here and turning back to Akron.

Edited by rma

57 minutes ago, markchicago said:

How is that he weather this morning ? What are folks hearing?  What is status of football equipment truck?  I understand it turned around to go back to Akron.  How will Akron suit up with no equipment?  Any discussion to move game to another week 

Do not want to see Buffalo lose he change to get to Bowl eligible 

go BULLS

I am not in Buffalo area - but this image from Exit 50 on NYS Thruway (I-290) seems to suggest it isn't too bad in Amherst area.  Not sure what forecast is for today

image.png.c5865d405cdbea7163d11d9154dd8bc9.png

Forecast for Amherst

image.png.af72ebab1592fa49228820242be4e9f7.png

https://ubbulls.com/news/2022/11/19/akron-at-buffalo-football-game-postponed-indefinitely.aspx

Tiebreaker Scenario Using Uneven Number of Games Tiebreaker Policy
With a Bowling Green win over Ohio + Buffalo win over Kent State
Bowling Green 6-2 (.750)
Ohio 6-2 (.750)
Buffalo 5-2 (.714)

First tiebreaker: Head-to-Head record amongst tied teams

• All three teams split the head-to-head series during the regular season (1-1)

Second tiebreaker: Winning percentage vs. ranked division opponents (top to bottom vs. East Division common opponents)

• Bowling Green, Buffalo and Ohio each defeated Miami (1.000)
  • Bowling Green & Ohio lost to Kent State (.000), while Buffalo would have defeated Kent State (1.000) in this tiebreaker scenario.
  • Buffalo wins tiebreaker and will advance to MAC Football Championship Game

So the "top to bottom" thing was actually real and the division win percent doesn't mean anything. This benefits us, so I'm not complaining.

4 minutes ago, rma said:

https://ubbulls.com/news/2022/11/19/akron-at-buffalo-football-game-postponed-indefinitely.aspx

Tiebreaker Scenario Using Uneven Number of Games Tiebreaker Policy
With a Bowling Green win over Ohio + Buffalo win over Kent State
Bowling Green 6-2 (.750)
Ohio 6-2 (.750)
Buffalo 5-2 (.714)

First tiebreaker: Head-to-Head record amongst tied teams

• All three teams split the head-to-head series during the regular season (1-1)

Second tiebreaker: Winning percentage vs. ranked division opponents (top to bottom vs. East Division common opponents)

• Bowling Green, Buffalo and Ohio each defeated Miami (1.000)
  • Bowling Green & Ohio lost to Kent State (.000), while Buffalo would have defeated Kent State (1.000) in this tiebreaker scenario.
  • Buffalo wins tiebreaker and will advance to MAC Football Championship Game

So the "top to bottom" thing was actually real and the division win percent doesn't mean anything. This benefits us, so I'm not complaining.

From the more post quoted above:

A decision regarding rescheduling the contest will be made during the week of Nov. 20-26.

I guess the game will be played if we need a win to become bowl eligible.  If Ohio and UB win next week the game will not be played.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BrooklynBull said:

I guess the game will be played if we need a win to become bowl eligible.  If Ohio and UB win next week the game will not be played.

If that's true, which makes sense, we get the better end of this. UB-UA essentially counts as a win to get to Detroit, and we can still play the game if we need it to get to 6 wins and bowl eligibility. Also if there's already too many bowl eligible teams at the end of next weekend, the conference can decide to not play it since we already know they won't be able to get another MAC team in (see 2017).

8 minutes ago, RecoveringHillbilly said:

Why didn't they just judge the risks and move it to Rochester, like to St John Fisher? If good enough for the Bills to practice/scrimmage, not good enough for a makeshift, broadcasted FBS game?

Probably easier logistically to play it with no fans in the field house than get UB's equipment packed up, logistics figured out, and everything moved to Rochester

36 minutes ago, rma said:

Probably easier logistically to play it with no fans in the field house than get UB's equipment packed up, logistics figured out, and everything moved to Rochester

Field house is too small to play a real game. Not enough room on sidelines or at the end of the end zones.  If fine for practice, but not a game.

• Thanks 1

• UBlearns changed the title to Akron - Indefinitely Postponed?

Not sure how the College football world can function today without this UB/Akron game 😜…but yeah, Beat Kent State and make this a moot point.  

This team needs the opportunity for 6+ wins and a Bowl. it’s good for recruiting, momentum and the extra practices.

UB Bulls football team is a joke St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball in the Southtowns of Western New York in a snow belt played Bowling Green Falcons in basketball in Olean today and won. UB needs to stop the New York State politics grandstanding about weather in Amherst that wasn’t that bad if the Bonnies can play UB should have played. Again if UB wanted no fans at UB Stadium fine the game was supposed to be played on CBS Sport Network Western New York would have liked to watch the football game to get our mind off the snow storm. Missed opportunity as always with UB Bulls football. I watched today Niagara Purple Eagles in Dublin, Ireland, St Bonaventure Bonnies at home Reilly Center, UB Bulls basketball at the Virgin Islands and then the Buffalo Sabres at night in Toronto in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1 hour ago, UB Horns Up said:

UB Bulls football team is a joke St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball in the Southtowns of Western New York in a snow belt played Bowling Green Falcons in basketball in Olean today and won. UB needs to stop the New York State politics grandstanding about weather in Amherst that wasn’t that bad if the Bonnies can play UB should have played. Again if UB wanted no fans at UB Stadium fine the game was supposed to be played on CBS Sport Network Western New York would have liked to watch the football game to get our mind off the snow storm. Missed opportunity as always with UB Bulls football. I watched today Niagara Purple Eagles in Dublin, Ireland, St Bonaventure Bonnies at home Reilly Center, UB Bulls basketball at the Virgin Islands and then the Buffalo Sabres at night in Toronto in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

In my opinion the Akron Zips were literally not even in the state so UB Bulls football would have only been able to play itself Cole Snyder vs Matt Myers with bum coach Mo coaching both teams then getting fired from losing team horns up let’s go Buffalo

Edited by rma
  • Haha 2