Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB vs Howard - 2022 Paradise Jam - 11/19 - 3:15 p.m. EST - ESPN3

DocCas86

Just now, Erie County said:

He had one timeout left prior to the possession with the rushed missed three. He then used the timeout AFTER the foul.

He needed to use it to setup a play without a rushed corner threee

I agree he needed to use it to set up a play but what I heard the announcers say was that he didn't have a time out

I very well may have mis heard, the whole situation seemed chaotic. Announcers seemed confuse and even the score bug was malfunctioning 

2 minutes ago, Erie County said:

They had one left. He used it on the foul to setup his situations. Which was apparently a Hardnett chuck down the entire court like they had 1 second not 5 seconds. 

Checked the plays on the score mobile app, and they have UB calling time out with 4 seconds left

That's absolutely insane poor game management

Could see letting a group of seniors play it out but you have an entire new team. Help them out and set something up 

36 minutes ago, Erie County said:

The question was did they have a timeout before the random rushed three pointer (only needing 1 point) the possession prior to the foul. He then used the timeout after the foul instead.

As bad of coaching as exists in D1

I agree. Bad plan. Poor execution.

4 hours ago, Erie County said:

The question was did they have a timeout before the random rushed three pointer (only needing 1 point) the possession prior to the foul. He then used the timeout after the foul instead.

As bad of coaching as exists in D1

I made a vow a while ago not to post about basketball until JW is no longer coach.  And, for the most part, I have only just read these basketball threads.  Every now and then, however, I break down and post.  

A few current thoughts…

There are some interesting players on the team this year.  Some seem to have MAC level (or beyond) talent   

JW is not going anywhere.  The Pres limited the outlay for a new coach and once our first choice didn’t take it, we got JW to coach on a low salary.  

JW has been head coach in more than 750 college games.   Not calling time out on that play is just awful.  Reggie level end-of-game awful.   

JW has had a hard time getting his players to compete against teams they are better than (like today).  He even admitted it a few years ago after a bad loss.  Today’s performance should not be a surprise.  Once again, the guy has been HC for more than 750 college games.   He sort of is who he is.   He isn’t a great in game coach, guys don’t seem to get better under his tutelage and he has a challenge motivating the team.   He is a nice guy, kept Oats’ team together and came cheap.   Blame the AD and President for this, though.  JW is who he is.  

• Like 1

There just aren’t enough UB Bulls fans and UB alums that care to really say anything to UB President Tripathi it is what it is UB Bulls basketball is trash now there number 4 in the Big 4. The best thing for UB Bulls basketball and UB athletics if you are a UB Bulls fan overall is for UB basketball to lose by 20 to 25 points to St Bonaventure and Canisius this season that might wake up some of the well off UB alums to open their wallet to payoff Jim Whitesell’s contract he is a horrible head coach worse than Reggie Witherspoon in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

9 hours ago, UB92 said:

I made a vow a while ago not to post about basketball until JW is no longer coach.  And, for the most part, I have only just read these basketball threads.  Every now and then, however, I break down and post.  

A few current thoughts…

There are some interesting players on the team this year.  Some seem to have MAC level (or beyond) talent   

JW is not going anywhere.  The Pres limited the outlay for a new coach and once our first choice didn’t take it, we got JW to coach on a low salary.  

JW has been head coach in more than 750 college games.   Not calling time out on that play is just awful.  Reggie level end-of-game awful.   

JW has had a hard time getting his players to compete against teams they are better than (like today).  He even admitted it a few years ago after a bad loss.  Today’s performance should not be a surprise.  Once again, the guy has been HC for more than 750 college games.   He sort of is who he is.   He isn’t a great in game coach, guys don’t seem to get better under his tutelage and he has a challenge motivating the team.   He is a nice guy, kept Oats’ team together and came cheap.   Blame the AD and President for this, though.  JW is who he is.  

I have been consistently looking at the glass half full over past four years.  I was optimistic they have some good players and hopeful they would compete come MAC season. Before yesterday, I was thinking they probably finish out of conference with a losing record, but if they beat the likes of Howard, Canisius and Bona, are 500 against Colgate, Drake, JMU, and George Mason. They may be okay come MAC play.  After yesterday,that goes out the window.  I will still be looking for them to pull it all together, but best case with Whitesell, MAC Championships will be rare, if at all.

However, I do think you hit on one sad fact is that if they get rid of Whitesell, they will still have the low budget to contend with, so likely we find ourselves back in same place in four years.

11 hours ago, UB92 said:

A few current thoughts…

Who was the coach offered before JW? Could JW be replaced if MA could find an up-and-comer from a lower division, ala Lance Leupold? I would consider Mike McDonald from Daemen. He's local and has done a great job with that program.