Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

Good news IMO, I know many in this sub will be unhappy though. The door is open for a great season. Combined with a strong recruiting class he has the opportunity to oversee sustained success without the risk of jumping ship to a bigger program 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Only one thing left to do…let’s get it. Unfinished business for this group.

I agree 100%.  We have an experienced core and have added depth this year.  Not going to be easy, but goal should be winning MAC tournament and getting back in the NCAA tournament.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

I agree 100%.  We have an experienced core and have added depth this year.  Not going to be easy, but goal should be winning MAC tournament and getting back in the NCAA tournament.

As a supporter of the Bulls for the last 30+ years and involved with this page (and the previous ESPN one) since the start, I have perspective and bleed blue.

Several months ago I said I would not post in the basketball thread until JW was no longer the coach, such was my feeling about him being coach of the basketball team.   I suspect, based on the tone of the comments in this board for the last several months, I am not the only one.  In fact, with news of the extension, you can see the various "likes" of the supporters of JW on this board...with no dissension.

At any rate, I will belay my moratorium on posting in the basketball thread for this topic only based on what DocCas86 wrote...since I am truly interested in the answer.

DocCas86 writes the "goal should be winning the MAC tournament and getting back in the NCAA tournament".  I mean, this should be the goal of every team in the MAC, but I want those who are supporters of JW to be more quantitative about expectations for the upcoming season.  After all, his extension has been lauded in this thread, it seems, with little/no dissension.  Thus, I am curious about win total and expectations of his supporters.

It may come to pass that you provide (from my perspective) optimistic expectations and JW meets/exceeds those in the upcoming year, which would require me to re-evaluate my perspective of JW as coach (and issue a mea culpa).  I would love for that to happen (I bleed blue, after all...I want the team to win every game), but I truly don't think I will.

So...for the supporters of JW on this thread (of which there are many), what are your win total expectations and performance in the MAC tournament to say that "yes...JW has met my expectations".

47 minutes ago, UB92 said:

As a supporter of the Bulls for the last 30+ years and involved with this page (and the previous ESPN one) since the start, I have perspective and bleed blue.

Several months ago I said I would not post in the basketball thread until JW was no longer the coach, such was my feeling about him being coach of the basketball team.   I suspect, based on the tone of the comments in this board for the last several months, I am not the only one.  In fact, with news of the extension, you can see the various "likes" of the supporters of JW on this board...with no dissension.

At any rate, I will belay my moratorium on posting in the basketball thread for this topic only based on what DocCas86 wrote...since I am truly interested in the answer.

DocCas86 writes the "goal should be winning the MAC tournament and getting back in the NCAA tournament".  I mean, this should be the goal of every team in the MAC, but I want those who are supporters of JW to be more quantitative about expectations for the upcoming season.  After all, his extension has been lauded in this thread, it seems, with little/no dissension.  Thus, I am curious about win total and expectations of his supporters.

It may come to pass that you provide (from my perspective) optimistic expectations and JW meets/exceeds those in the upcoming year, which would require me to re-evaluate my perspective of JW as coach (and issue a mea culpa).  I would love for that to happen (I bleed blue, after all...I want the team to win every game), but I truly don't think I will.

So...for the supporters of JW on this thread (of which there are many), what are your win total expectations and performance in the MAC tournament to say that "yes...JW has met my expectations".

Expectation: Mac championship, tournament appearance

Goal: top 25 ranking, at large bid discussion 

The wording was of a 2 year extension, not necessarily a huge raise. He has the team positioned to be very good this year and has continued the recruiting moment. That is very deserving of an extension. Not to mention has schedule pretty good out of conference games these past 2 years (at least rumored so far this year)

But this season is gigantic moving forward for JW 

• Like 1

I'm not a diehard JW "supporter", but I've been in favor of giving him a fair shake.  I am not a fan of rotating out coaches without giving them a fair run.  He may not have been my pie-in-the-sky first choice, but I'm not in those negotiations, I don't know who's available and who isn't, budget constraints, etc.

My expectations are exactly the same as they were from day 1 of the Whitesell era.  Win the MAC and make the NCAAs within the next 3 years.  He and his staff inherited a tremendous core of players.  I won't fault them for losing that first recruiting class, and they also supplemented that core with Mballa.  In terms of returning core players in a turning-over-the-keys of a mid-major program, you could probably count on one hand - if any at all - the mid-major teams who were better stocked for a rebuild/reload than UB at the time.

To date, they have not accomplished that goal. 

In terms of win count, I'm of the opinion that UB should always strive for 20 wins as the absolute floor.  Yes, that's a high bar.  I don't expect 20-win seasons every year - there are rebuild years and things like that along the way - but where UB is as a program, both nationally and in respect of the rest of the conference, 20 wins in an average year is the benchmark in my mind.  This is a secondary goal in my mind.  

Am I going to call for his removal if the team doesn't win the MAC this year?  I think it depends on the big picture.  Did they win the MAC regular season, get major contributions from up-and-coming underclassmen recruits, and get bounced in the final where the opponent has a fluke game shooting 50% from 3, plus an NIT bid?  Or did they go 16-14 and lose early in the tournament with nothing to show for it?

Edited by UBlearns
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, UB92 said:

I wrote up big long reply which for some reason failed to post.  So going to put highlights

MAC regular season record goal of 16-4.  For context this is 80% win pct compared to Oats year three of 83%. 

As previously stated, goal to win MAC tournament.  If we fall short, need to evaluate in terms of overall season and how lost game. 

My expectation for ranking is 50-60.

Team needs to continue focus on dominance on boards, limiting opponent eFg% and look to improve on own eFG%, turn ball over a little less and shoot better FT%

The expectation this season is MAC championship. Sorry all but the bar has been set. Our recent success under Hurley and Oats has paved the way for a higher floor and ceiling. Just bc Oats left doesn’t mean we lower expectations. Especially when we made the championship game last season and return major contributors except for Graves. Don’t care how. Don’t care if we go 16-4 in conference. Don’t care if we win 20 games. Win the conference tournament. Come next March that’s what I expected. 

I am going to ask the question a little differently in assessing Whitesell.  What is an achievable goal in terms of ranking for the program with Whitesell?  Here is a table summarizing composite ranking results (per Massey Composite) for last four coaches (last 5 years for Reggie).

image.png.e9391cba0d854ddeb49e943f074bcbd6.png

Note: I have taken the liberty of slotting this year at 60 (number in red).  So what do I observe - JW is likely on track to have the Bulls be a top 100 program two out of his three years.  I would probably argue that this year is his best chance of getting us into the Top 50, as Williams, Mballa, and Segu are in their senior year.  If the team gets into top 50, I would say I am definitely happy with the extension.  If we are ranked in 50-75 range, - I am thinking that Whitesell can keep our ranking in 50-100 range on a regular basis, which in turn, makes us one of the favorites to win the MAC.   Is there a coach that gets us in the top 50 more consistently that would stay for more than a few years?

7 hours ago, UB92 said:

What are the ramifications of falling short of expectations?   I’m reluctant to say that losing the conference final is cause for termination.  

Usually these predictions get a range of values.    Such as, winning between x and z conference games.  In my mind, the expectation is (x), the low end of that range.  Then there is (y), what you think most probably will happen.  Followed by (z), what you hope will happen. 

I’m probably considered a JW supporter, but that’s not how I view myself.  I believe FLJ says it best, that ‘it takes a village’.   I support the team… players, coaches and support staff.  Depending on the circumstances, the HC may not deserve to be fired for missing expectations one year.  There is usually a period of time for someone to correct any mistakes, before being fired. 

So, what are my thoughts?   I expect the team to compete for the best conference record.  I think they will reach the MACC final.  And, I hope they play in the NCAA tournament.   

Some will say that this too low, and the bar has been raised.   To which I’d reply that it has.  We used to hope for a winning season.  Not too long ago we hoped to challenge for a spot near the top of the conference.  I’d also say we simply might not share the same definition of the word ‘expectations’.  Ultimately my thoughts don’t really matter.  As I’ve said in other coaching threads, here and on BullRun, the coach’s contract will give us the answer.  At what point do bonuses begin to kick in?   That’s probably when the school thinks that expectations have been exceeded.  

9 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

What are the ramifications of falling short of expectations?   I’m reluctant to say that losing the conference final is cause for termination.

Definitely not termination. I think many of us would take a repeat of last season as being the new normal. Compete for a conference title and make a postseason tournament. But I think many of us fear that given that we are still a quality mid major program, we need to strike while the iron is still hot. If not, we might fall back to the pack so to speak. Whitesell needs to win now or else he runs the risk of earning a Reggie reputation: Can’t win the big game.

2 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

I doubt everyone on this board agrees.   Especially among those who didn’t want JW to be hired in the first place.  (Or, maybe the Great UBFan Divide is based on a simple linguistic misunderstanding)

Haha. But barring an epic failure of a season and a mass exodus at seasons end, I don’t see him being fired. UB is in no position financially to pay 2 head coaches. It will take a few losing seasons in a row and UB losing its mid major appeal for him to be fired. Until then I can see him being strung along with extensions. 

7 minutes ago, Chet said:

Whitesell has been in a no win situation since being named head coach. Oats was a tough act to follow. We will win MAC this year. Little doubt in my mind. He has a good staff and an experienced senior class.

I think it speaks volumes for the man the he kept his core and has solid assistants that stick around. He does have the charm or the next 25 year old up and coming coach, so he gets dinged. Also, as said he’s following a coach that took the program to new heights. He would have had to go to the final 4 to satisfy some.

he also seems to be able to gain the confidence of new recruits that are near the top of our highest ranked prospects ever. I think that they focus on in game strategy with the assistants this year and we will be a scary team. Go Bulls!

• Like 1