Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

I honestly thought that there was improvement last year relative to Whitesell's first, and was hopeful for some additional improvement this year to a ranking near 60 and a good shot at MAC tournament win.   After the body of work this year, I concede I was wrong.  They may have some good stretches this year, but I am not optimistic for overall outcome. 

3 hours ago, yussi1870 said:

Would you still be in favor of this if the result is a promotion of one of his assistants?

Honestly a great question and I don’t think I’d be able to answer right now. I would want a legitimate coaching search to be performed and at this time am hard pressed to believe the best candidate is already on this staff.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Plus if Q is the answer, why is AT given the temp coaching role when it comes time for that?

Coach Whitesell and Coach Thorpe have been together while Whitesell coached DII I believe. Coach Thorpe was an Associate Head Coach at DI. 

Edited by Chet

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Niagara vs Canisius on ESPN3. I don't know how the Bulls managed to lose to the Golden Griffins. Up 4 with 14 seconds left and lose by 1. Those 14 seconds provides an accurate snapshot of Coach Whitesell's time leading the Bulls. 

2 hours ago, Chet said:

Just watched Niagara vs Canisius on ESPN3. I don't know how the Bulls managed to lose to the Golden Griffins. Up 4 with 14 seconds left and lose by 1. Those 14 seconds provides an accurate snapshot of Coach Whitesell's time leading the Bulls. 

Idk how we lost to Canisius. Idk how we lost to SFA. Dartmouth. Army. Miami at home. The Whitesell era is riddled with bad losses. 

8 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

Idk how we lost to Canisius. Idk how we lost to SFA. Dartmouth. Army. Miami at home. The Whitesell era is riddled with bad losses. 

I looked at the actual W/L records going back to 2007-08 year with Witherspoon for quad III and IV games.  Here are the facts:

image.png.6bfaa494cdba32194ede60cd1508c22b.png

These stats are consistent with your statement, that the team has played down to competition level too often in Whitesell era.  A couple of clarification that I would make - Whitesell's first year was particularly poor in Quad IV at 6-5, so that is bringing overall numbers down.  Last year the team was a perfect 8-0 in Quad IV.  Finally, there are likely a good number of Quad IV games left this season and a chance to bring that number up.  However, best case, the number would be around 0.800 if we do not lose another Quad IV this year.  The team needs to find the way to take care of business in the Quad IV games the rest of the year.

29 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

I looked at the actual W/L records going back to 2007-08 year with Witherspoon for quad III and IV games.  Here are the facts:

image.png.6bfaa494cdba32194ede60cd1508c22b.png

These stats are consistent with your statement, that the team has played down to competition level too often in Whitesell era.  A couple of clarification that I would make - Whitesell's first year was particularly poor in Quad IV at 6-5, so that is bringing overall numbers down.  Last year the team was a perfect 8-0 in Quad IV.  Finally, there are likely a good number of Quad IV games left this season and a chance to bring that number up.  However, best case, the number would be around 0.800 if we do not lose another Quad IV this year.  The team needs to find the way to take care of business in the Quad IV games the rest of the year.

I know this may be digging into the weeds too much but there is also a perception that a lot of these losses are home court losses…what do those numbers show?

1 hour ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I know this may be digging into the weeds too much but there is also a perception that a lot of these losses are home court losses…what do those numbers show?

This will take a little time to compile - but looking at Whitesell era losses, the statement holds for his first year with losses to Dartmouth, Army and Northern Illinois.  This year at moment Miami OH is a Quad IV loss at home.  Maybe you could consider Canisius a 'home' loss, but technically not a home game.  Again, these games should be wins, but require effort to get the 'w'.  Just think,, if they had won against Canisius and Miami OH, the current record would be 10-4.  You would likely still be upset with losses to SFA and Bonnies, but the outlook for the team would be more upbeat.  I still hope the team can gel and be in a position to compete in Cleveland.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 121Merrimac said:

Another feeling about these bad losses, for me anyway, is that too often someone on the winning team has a career game.   Almost like a scouting issue?   Like, planning to defend starters, while overlooking a backup.  

I think they need to realize UB is no longer an underdog. For some teams we are their biggest game (ie Canisius, WMU due to our dominance of them). Their players are up for our games. Too often, we have not been up for those games 

56 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

I think they need to realize UB is no longer an underdog. For some teams we are their biggest game (ie Canisius, WMU due to our dominance of them). Their players are up for our games. Too often, we have not been up for those games 

To this point on the broadcast against WMU the announcers went out of their way to mention preseason MAC favorites. If it was a drinking game I would’ve died. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...