Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

10 hours ago, UBinMD said:

For the MAC, you just need to win 3 in Cleveland. Stay close, get a good enough seed and win 3. That’s life of the mid-major.

We would have to win those games against teams that we have not shown the consistency to beat. A "puncher's chance" is not the same as suddenly finding the consistency to win 3 games in a row against the top of the conference (of which we are barely considered to be grouped with).

I think for me it's the attendance. 

We saw what it was like under Hurley and Oats. 

The Kent game was embarrassing on national TV. This is what the public thinks of the current state of the team, it's not opinion. They've expressed their thoughts. As much as it's silly, losing to Canisius has hurt the perception of the program. Especially from those who reach out to me to ask me my thoughts. 

Through the highs/lows the team just looks discombobulated.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

I'm high on Skogman and I do think there's a bit of meat on the bone there, but his efficiency would fall off at this point with increased usage.  It does for almost everyone which is why I like BartTorvik's PRPG! which factors in ORtg, usage, and competition faced to estimate offensive efficiency.  Particularly with Skogman his efficiency would fall of due to the fact that he doesn't create much as of now to post that ORtg. He's done some self-creation in the post which I'd like to see more of, but his shots very much come within the flow of the offense.

Skogman is assisted on 74.7% of his field goals, and it would be even higher if there was a way to filter out any putbacks he's gotten on offensive rebounds.  All the players that have a higher usage than him are assisted on a lower percentage of their FGM:

Brewton: 69.4%

Jack: 69.2%

Mballa: 50%

Williams: 39.8%

Segu: 25.3%

It's not as simple as giving him the ball more

Edited by trueblue32

31 minutes ago, trueblue32 said:

Particularly with Skogman his efficiency would fall of due to the fact that he doesn't create much as of now to post that ORtg. He's done some self-creation in the post which I'd like to see more of, but his shots very much come within the flow of the offense.

Skogman is assisted on 74.7% of his field goals, and it would be even higher if there was a way to filter out any putbacks he's gotten on offensive rebounds.

It sounds to me like the team plays more team ball when Skogman is involved. Sure at some point there are diminishing returns but with stats like the above some increase is certainly warranted from a team that keeps going cold playing ISO ball with the current band of characters.

7 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

It sounds to me like the team plays more team ball when Skogman is involved.

I don't think that's what that statistic suggests unless your hypothesis is that Brewton is the second biggest offensive "team player"

7 minutes ago, Jeseph said:

Sure at some point there are diminishing returns but with stats like the above some increase

I agree and I said that in my original post. I just don't think bumping his usage by a couple points in exchange for a bit of efficiency is moving the needle for this team in any meaningful way

1 hour ago, Jeseph said:

It sounds to me like the team plays more team ball when Skogman is involved. Sure at some point there are diminishing returns but with stats like the above some increase is certainly warranted from a team that keeps going cold playing ISO ball with the current band of characters.

Skogman’s play is stunted by Mballa and vice versa when the two are on the floor at the same time. Skogman is a more polished low post player. Whereas Mballa operates with more brute force. With Skogman there’s better ball movement because he understands and executes the fundamentals of passing out of a low post double team. They either have to learn to coexist on the floor together with Skogman being more ball dominate and Mballa playing off the ball and beasting on the boards. Or one of them is gonna have to come off the bench.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, ub2019 said:

Don't know if he would want to come here or even want to coach next year, but he would be a home run. 

We need a big booster to come thru for something like that. He was making $4 million annually with a $250k per year bump.

JW is making $361,649, slightly more that Chris Mack's bump.

Don't see it happening, but who knows.

41 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

We need a big booster to come thru for something like that. He was making $4 million annually with a $250k per year bump.

Well luckily since JW "Isn't as bad as some people say" we'll never have to find out 🙂

59 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Could have extended oats with that fieldhouse $$$. But Murchie’s said nah I think we’ll invest in mid major football instead.

31 minutes ago, mikescherrer8 said:

Could have extended oats with that fieldhouse $$$. But Murchie’s said nah I think we’ll invest in mid major football instead.

I'm fine with the fieldhouse, I think it was a key cog in keeping it moving. I am also for a separate recreation facility and upgrade Alumni for D1 team use only. These things don't need to be mutually exclusive. Also, I don't buy into the fact we can't pay our coaches because we are a state school. In many states, the HFC at a major university is the highest paid state employee (Pennsylvania, Maryland, etc. to name a few). Our issue is that NY State has never had to pony up those salaries, so they prefer to burn in on NYC or other ridiculous mandates while taxing the hell out of the residents.

We need to keep the sustained success and continue to push forward. The shame is that the interest in football and basketball has not gone up much since I was a student in 1990-1995 when we transitioned to D1. If we actually had a decent fan base, we could push for these changes.