Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

14 minutes ago, Erie County said:

So to wrap this up, 1-5 against the 1-4 seeds.

UB proved to be the 5th best team, and are looking at another 1 and done in Cleveland under Whitesell 

Honestly we will be fortunate to beat Akron. Difficult road ahead next week. My hopes are low but I still have hope 😞

48 minutes ago, Erie County said:

How much time? We have. Three years. If you watched the games this week, you'd know why many would want a change. The class turns over and it would be a good time for a new coach to buildup the roster

This is a really good point

A large portion of the roster is turning over which would mean a clean slate if a new coach comes in

Honestly it may come down to  alnutt's opinion of the new comers blocker, mading, jones and Williamson. That and what whitesells future plan is. 

Alnutt is a football guy but he was around a successful Missouri basketball program at one point so hopefully he knows what to look for in coaches as well as  players/students 

2 hours ago, BleedBlue said:

Whitesell is fine. Not great - but fine. Some people have unrealistic expectations. An Oats or Hurley doesn't walk through the door every day. Some coaches take years to find their grove. (Mark Schmidt at Bonas etc.) I'd give Jim some more time. 

If 5th place in MAC is the “realistic” expectation… then your right we might as well stick with Whitesell. But for people who want to see a competitive product - I guess we are unrealistic. 

12 hours ago, BleedBlue said:

Whitesell is fine. Not great - but fine. Some people have unrealistic expectations. An Oats or Hurley doesn't walk through the door every day. Some coaches take years to find their grove. (Mark Schmidt at Bonas etc.) I'd give Jim some more time. 

This has to be sarcastic, right?

• Haha 1

Here is a comparison of the MAC regular season results last year versus this year.

image.png.731ae4b5a4cbe37eaf04b3fe9a536790.png

While there is a slight drop off on offense, the biggest change from a year ago is on defensive side of things.  Last year, we were #1 in MAC in a number of defensive categories, this year we are more middle of the MAC, near the bottom in forced turnovers.   Not sure how much of this is on the coach vs the players, but this is the biggest reason we are the 5 seed instead of the one or two seed this year.  The weak point on offensive side for both years was TO%. 

I would like to see them recapture some of that defensive intensity in Cleveland next week.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Erie County said:

How dare we risk our 2-2 MAC tournament record and two out of three 5 seed finishes 

He was 15-10 in the regular season, 9-5 in conference, 3rd overall. Finished strong with a 7 game win streak going into the tournament. Won their tournament games by 3, 5 & 9.

Won when it counted which is great, but our board would have trashed him the entire season too, so not much difference for me.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

He was 15-10 in the regular season, 9-5 in conference, 3rd overall. Finished strong with a 7 game win streak going into the tournament. Won their tournament games by 3, 5 & 9.

Won when it counted which is great, but our board would have trashed him the entire season too, so not much difference for me.

Not to mention the teams they beat weren't exactly Akron Toledo and Kent.  Not defending Whitesell, but just pointing out this is is not clear cut evidence that Lanier would have been better.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, DocCas86 said:

Not to mention the teams they beat weren't exactly Akron Toledo and Kent.  Not defending Whitesell, but just pointing out this is is not clear cut evidence that Lanier would have been better.

They beat #6, #2 and #8. #8 Louisiana had a big run taking out #1 and in the final they were on their 4th games. Sounds like a typical conference tournament. hopefully GAST can win one in the Big Dance. I’m assuming they will be a 15 or 16.

2 minutes ago, Erie County said:

7 game winning streak into Cleveland and 3 seed are literally what this board was asking for though

No, you were asking for JWs head regardless of outcome. Luckily the team stumbled. Plus it would have been an 11 game streak into Cleveland. 

8 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Whitesell and Lanier are shockingly similar 

And both teams under performed compared to their expectations this season 

I agree.  Their conference win percentage is very similar 0.667 for Whitesell and 0.630 for for Lanier.  Both underperformed preseason rankings by 20-30 spots.  I suspect we would be having same discussion about Lanier as we are having for Whitesell.  Lanier would have a bit of a reprieve, winning his conference tourney.  Let's hope Whitesell can pull that off as well.

This doesn't mean that we can't want better - but it is easier said than done.

10 hours ago, UBinMD said:

If we win the conference tournament much is saved for JW as well. Right now we’re not at a place to be confident in making it out of the quarterfinals…

10 hours ago, UBinMD said:

This comment (my bf) is literally what this board has been about this entire season, UBinMD.   Speculating on what one side or another might have said or done.   But it is this sort of offhand shot that has made this board a crappier place this year since its inception about 20 years ago.  Nothing is gained by adding that comment and the false equivalency you imply between Whitesell and Lanier is disappointing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rob_Lanier    

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Whitesell

Lanier had four seasons as a head coach before going to GaState.  In those four seasons, he made the NCAA once and the NIT once.

Whitesell had 24 seasons as a head coach (17 in D2 and D3) before coming to UB.  His 7 seasons at Loyola resulted in one season with a conference record above .500 and no post-seasons.

---

Another poster (and I hope it was sarcastic, but I doubt it) mentioned that we needed to give Whitesell more time.   The guy has been a head basketball coach longer than some on this board have been alive.    Give him more time for what?  To get better?  

---

From my recollection of the stories at the time and afterwards, Lanier wanted more $$$ than UB was going to give for this position and so they circled back to Whitesell (who took the $361k).  Lanier is making $575k, if the internet can be believed. 

---

Blame Whitesell all you want, but he was offered the position and took it.  If you don't like Whitesell, blame the AD and the administration.  Instead of investing in mens basketball following the most successful run in their history, they cheaped out.   Remember:  Candle (Toledo) makes $1.17M.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tee4three said:

Whitesell and Lanier are shockingly similar 

And both teams under performed compared to their expectations this season 

Whitesell and Lanier are definitely not shockingly similar.  Well...I don't know.  Maybe they are the same height or have the same number of children or something.  Perhaps that is what you meant.

True...both teams underperformed this year compared to expectations.  Like UB, GaState was the clear pick of the other Sun Belt coaches to win the conference regular season.  But I suspect that Lanier (and the GaState fans) are happy with how it turned out.  Time will tell if that is the same for UB fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UB92 said:

Whitesell and Lanier are definitely not shockingly similar.  Well...I don't know.  Maybe they are the same height or have the same number of children or something.  Perhaps that is what you meant.

True...both teams underperformed this year compared to expectations.  Like UB, GaState was the clear pick of the other Sun Belt coaches to win the conference regular season.  But I suspect that Lanier (and the GaState fans) are happy with how it turned out.  Time will tell if that is the same for UB fans.

Gonna agree to disagree on this one

I've watched plenty of georgia st games this season and each game I always came away thinking georgia state had more talent but couldn't put it together. They would turn the ball over at bad times, seem to rush and take way too many heat check shots. Even player usage as well (although admittedly im no expert on the ga st roster)

A lot of the complaints/questions/concerns fans have had of whitesell they would have of Lanier as well

Both teams play similar styles as well both like to run and play aggressive defense. Although georgia st will press a bit more than ub

I'm a big Lanier fan and thought buffalo was the perfect place for him and last night was excited to see that he is going dancing