Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

20 minutes ago, Erie County said:

Does anyone trust this coach? Losing to a 263 Kenpom Howard is just a cherry on top to a coach who thought he was going to compete this year giving his team the hardest schedule in the MAC. 

He needed to schedule games to give his team confidence. But they even lose to Howard, so whatever. 

Please move on from him before we lose more time.

I think I've seen enough. 

I totally agree- get rid of both of them. I am a season ticket holder and while I suspected this would be a disaster of a season and so far that’s just what it has been.  There are rows and rows of empty seats that were once season occupied by season ticket holders.  The addition seat fee of $250  per is ridiculous and there are no fan amenities plus the guest internet service is actually no service.

At this point I am not sure if I will hold my nose and renew next year

51 minutes ago, Chet said:

There is no way he is fired. 0% chance. Would prefer Alnutt is shown the door first. Let new AD make the hire. Both Alnutt and Whitesell had so much momentum coming in and they have absolutely lost it.

This x10000. Alnutt made these decisions and he’s been a disaster across all major sports. Get Alnutt out NOW. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, UBinMD said:

For all the shit we give him, he should be acknowledged for positives when they occur too. Pretty impressive stat when 25% of your points come on the fast break and are typically easier shots/higher percentage looks:

"We"? You've never given him $hit even when he was coaching like $hit! lol

I'll recognize a job well done and give him kudos for how the team has played thus far. The Howard game was a joke but otherwise they've shown they can keep up with some pretty good teams. They have a ton of talent but lack pure shooting ability (outside of Jones) so it's good to see so many fast break points to pump up our shooting %. Its also good to see the old hard hat mentality on defense since it has been missing for a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, clodney said:

"We"? You've never given him $hit even when he was coaching like $hit! lol

I'll recognize a job well done and give him kudos for how the team has played thus far. The Howard game was a joke but otherwise they've shown they can keep up with some pretty good teams. They have a ton of talent but lack pure shooting ability (outside of Jones) so it's good to see so many fast break points to pump up our shooting %. Its also good to see the old hard hat mentality on defense since it has been missing for a couple of years. 

I have given him shit in my mind, even if I didn’t write it down 😂😂

20 minutes ago, Tee4three said:

Before the Howard game I thought whitesell was trending upwards 

Not ready to go there again but win 2 of the next 3 and I will be very close (Tulane, WVU, mich st)

The Howard game was a disappointment.  However, winning 2 out of 3 is a pretty tall order.  If they beat Tulane, it gives them four solid wins and I will be hopeful for the MAC.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Bump... How are we feeling about Whitesell now? Has losses to Howard (274), Miami (287) and Central Michigan (288) with UB sitting in the 200+ KenPom group.

We all knew this would be a rebuilding season but this is another disappointing setback after a pair of decent games against Ohio and NIU.

They have won at home and lost on the road so far in the Mac

Need to see if the bad losses start to come at home

I know people don't want to hear it but winning on the road in the Mac isn't easy, let's see if they learn

If they didn't look good (legitimately) at home to start Mac play I would feel much different

Say the first 2 games won looked like how Miami beat UB and cmu beat UB. I'd feel differently as well 

Just now, DooleyBull06 said:

It’s funny that ppl are complaining we are losing to teams ranked in the high 200s of kenPom when we ourselves are one of those teams.

UB entered today ranked 202 in KenPom. The regression over the past four years is pretty apparent now. Buffalo hasn't finished with a Sub-200 KenPom ranking since 2003.

1 hour ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

UB entered today ranked 202 in KenPom. The regression over the past four years is pretty apparent now. Buffalo hasn't finished with a Sub-200 KenPom ranking since 2003.

Wow. Well…sometimes you gotta bottom out before you rise again? That’s a loaded statement that I’m sure some can reads between the lines

On 11/19/2022 at 6:17 PM, JFH47 said:

I totally agree- get rid of both of them. I am a season ticket holder and while I suspected this would be a disaster of a season and so far that’s just what it has been.  There are rows and rows of empty seats that were once season occupied by season ticket holders.  The addition seat fee of $250  per is ridiculous and there are no fan amenities plus the guest internet service is actually no service.

At this point I am not sure if I will hold my nose and renew next year

I do agree. The additional seat fee has caused many season ticket holders to give up their seats. At a time when both teams lost the majority of their market players they should of had more enticements and marketing efforts to keep their season base and try and increase it. Alnutt and administration do not have the pulse of the fans and of this area. It is a shame that they might lose more of the true diehard fans unless they change their mindset. Trying to stay positive but it is becoming harder. Go Bulls!!!

4 hours ago, John said:

The additional seat fee has caused many season ticket holders to give up their seats.

Season ticket prices haven't changes in several years.  The "Additional Seat Fees" also haven't changed. I'm paying the same price I paid last year.

Prices went up 3-4 years ago when they were good. Would be nice if they lowered the price when the team isn't good. I'm sure season ticket sales are down because not many players returned from last year and were expected to not be good.

Also, new "tax" laws several years ago make the "additional seat fees" no longer a "charitable" donation.

5 hours ago, bullsbball said:

Season ticket prices haven't changes in several years.  The "Additional Seat Fees" also haven't changed. I'm paying the same price I paid last year.

Prices went up 3-4 years ago when they were good. Would be nice if they lowered the price when the team isn't good. I'm sure season ticket sales are down because not many players returned from last year and were expected to not be good.

Also, new "tax" laws several years ago make the "additional seat fees" no longer a "charitable" donation.

To clarify you could be right on the seat fees but in our case we went down one seat and we had to pay more in seat fees to keep some of our perks. Do agree that probably with all the turnover in players and coaches and with the not so great marketing efforts that was probably the factor in loss of season ticket base.