Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Jim Whitesell and UB Part Ways

Kevin

11 hours ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

When opposing fanbases in your conference begin to look at your team with apathy, that's normally a sign that your program is regressing and should consider making a change.

BobcatAttack called this from day 1. There have been dozens of posts over the last 4 years wondering why the hell we would “blow it all up” after making it all the way to the top 25. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, clodney said:

BobcatAttack called this from day 1. There have been dozens of posts over the last 4 years wondering why the hell we would “blow it all up” after making it all the way to the top 25. 

Ohio fans could see what was happening and what was coming, they went through the same thing/very similar with their run to the sweet sixteen or elite 8

Edited by Tee4three
  • Like 1

All MAC schools are what they are…feeder schools for coaches. There’s no shame in that. You just hope that while you have a good coach you have  success before they leave. We are a good example. For two coaching cycles we enjoyed our best success ever and produced two coaches who have gone on to greener pastures. Kent St dominated the conference through multiple coaching cycles. But all the coaches before Senderoff left too. The goal is to find our Schmidt or Cluess but for the most part, historically, coaches have come to the mac to then move on. Some even come back after they fail elsewhere lol. I understand we couldn’t expect to catch lightning in a bottle for 3 straight coaches, but hindsight, our misstep may have been hiring an older head coach who viewed the job as a destination rather than a younger coach who had their eyes on bigger. Ohio, with Boals, will be a great example of this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:I understand we couldn’t expect to catch lightning in a bottle for 3 straight coaches, but hindsight, our misstep may have been hiring an older head coach who viewed the job as a destination rather than a younger coach who had their eyes on bigger. Ohio, with Boals, will be a great example of this. 

Hindsight?   

Truly, that is one of the funniest things I have ever read on Ubfan or its ESPN predecessor.  

Thanks for the laugh.  You win the day!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, UBlearns said:

No way UB touches that buyout.  The university is too cheap. 

The bar is a one million dollar coaches salary and NIL for the players today in college basketball and football. If you can’t do that you don’t belong in Division I basketball and football today. Hire a new UB coach at $1 million dollars. We need at least $80,000 NIL for a point guard and another $80,000 NIL for a big man in the paint to be able to compete in Division I basketball today. Make it happen UB alums or we mind well let St Bonaventure Bonnies try to represent Buffalo because they met that bar. Again NIL needs to happen for UB football too. Florida Gators offered $11 million dollars NIL for a freshman QB. If you want to win you need to pay. Think UNLV Rebels in the 1980’s and 1990’s under Jerry Tarkanian except it’s all out in the open the way it should be with NIL today.

I buy St Bonaventure Bonnies players jerseys and t-shirts as a Bonnies fan that go towards Bonnies players NIL to help support the Bonnies basketball program. I keep saying UB Bulls, UB and UB alums need to open there eyes. UB needs to modernize there thinking. UB does that UB Bulls will be in the NCAA’s in no time. Gonzaga and St Mary’s don’t care if you believe there with no NIL I have some Florida swamp land. All these schools going yearly to the NCAA’s today are doing stuff with NIL and it is legal today. Syracuse Orange Jim Boeheim who is a college basketball cheater recruited Lloyd Daniels that read at a 4th grade level so did Kansas Jayhawks Larry Brown he went to UNLV Rebels under Jerry Tarkanian was arrested in a Las Vegas crack house. UNLV then gets rid of Lloyd Daniels. Kansas was still interested in Lloyd Daniels under Larry Brown after being arrested in a crack house, reading at a 4th grade level and so hot Jerry Tarkanian can’t keep him at UNLV think about that? Larry Brown wanted Daniels to live with him in his house.

So don’t tell me blue bloods and college basketball and football schools are all the same it’s fair they all follow the NCAA’s rules they aren’t. Syracuse Jim Boeheim is still at Syracuse he cheated and he is lecturing UB and St Bonaventure about basketball morality spare me. I get it UB alums when I was a Canisius Golden Griffins basketball manager in college in the late 1980’s we played that cheat Jim Boeheim Syracuse Orange in a sold out Buffalo Memorial Auditorium. Syracuse Orange had Derrick Coleman who was a man against boys dominated inside the paint the Griffs had no chance matching up with Ed Book. Who knows how Jim Boeheim got Derrick Coleman and what was offered? Most Little Three basketball fans can’t stand that self righteous Jim Boeheim it is a great day when one of the Big Four basketball schools beat Syracuse Orange coach Jim Boeheim he is a cheat represents everything shady about college basketball. Unfortunately today without NIL you have no chance in modern Division I basketball and football anymore in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Edited by UB Horns Up
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

Unfortunately today without NIL you have no chance in modern Division I basketball and football anymore in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

If I’m not mistaken, schools don’t have anything to do with a player and his/her ability to land NIL deals. Schools aren’t paying kids. It’s the boosters. And unfortunately UB doesn’t have boosters that will pay athletes or help them secure NIL deals like that. So when you say we need 80k for a guard, that money comes from outside sources not the school. Obviously in the past and still today there was always shady stuff. Under the table deals. NIL has brought all that to the surface. Just look at Hurricanes basketball. They have an outside source funding NIL deals with players. No school involvement.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2023 at 10:44 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

Our only hope is that he’s run out of gas and retires

Would love for the school and him to reach an agreement where he retires instead of getting sacked. That way the program saves face and we can wake up from this nightmare. 

On 1/18/2023 at 10:02 AM, BullBoy said:

Here is my quick view on attendance....Buffalo doesn't have great sports fans... They have great Bills fans and other than that if a team is not winning at an extremely high clip, people don't show up...I think even the Sabres show that.

And yes, the long break without students and pep band is terrible.

This is what I’ve been saying for years. Supported decades of the bills being the worst in the league. Only truly showed up for the bulls when we were nationally ranked. Home games are quiet as shit all the time, we have zero home court advantage and a bunch of weak ass “fans”

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Erie County said:

I run my own business.

However Id gladly lose it with a 350k buyout in public money to underperform and not deserve an extension. 

If i was successful 50% of the time at my job, i'd expect to be let go too

And if you played baseball 50% success rate would make you the best to ever do it. Context is important. We get your point. 

For a few days, let’s all just root for wins so we are playing Saturday night.  

We can revisit this thread after the next loss…whether it is Thursday, Friday, Saturday…if after that!  I mean we are all fans, so let’s spend this time supporting the team for the next few days.  There will be plenty of time to examine everything after that.  

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, UB92 said:

For a few days, let’s all just root for wins so we are playing Saturday night.  

We can revisit this thread after the next loss…whether it is Thursday, Friday, Saturday…if after that!  I mean we are all fans, so let’s spend this time supporting the team for the next few days.  There will be plenty of time to examine everything after that.  

That's my plan too!

On 2/19/2023 at 8:21 PM, DooleyBull06 said:

If I’m not mistaken, schools don’t have anything to do with a player and his/her ability to land NIL deals. Schools aren’t paying kids. It’s the boosters. And unfortunately UB doesn’t have boosters that will pay athletes or help them secure NIL deals like that. So when you say we need 80k for a guard, that money comes from outside sources not the school. Obviously in the past and still today there was always shady stuff. Under the table deals. NIL has brought all that to the surface. Just look at Hurricanes basketball. They have an outside source funding NIL deals with players. No school involvement.

I get there is no school involvement with NIL but the UB boosters have businesses locally they can’t set up deals with our top athletes instead of the goofy UB coaches that already make more than they are worth. I have a problem with UB saying big time and UB alums saying big time? But tiny St Bonaventure alums have NIL and so called UB doesn’t that isn’t big time. The Bonnies alums would be the first to admit they can’t compete with Power 5 schools but they at least try to be the best mid major basketball program. There is no real school spirit at UB like St Bonaventure that has been a problem for a long time at UB. 

I am willing to bet St Louis and Loyola Chicago of the Atlantic 10 Conference have NIL. If UB alums can’t set up NIL to compete with second tier Catholic schools the Big East Conference being first tier and the MAAC is third tier Catholic basketball schools which is were UB basketball is with no NIL. Canisius and Niagara do stuff like that no NIL. UB is kidding themselves with Division I athletics if our UB alums can’t set up NIL with AdPro like St Bonaventure alums with Sports Locker for selling players jerseys and t shirts what is UB doing in Division I today? And why call UB big time when they act like Canisius and Niagara in college basketball? These are serious questions UB alums should think about.

Is a potential UB athlete going to come for a new workout room or St Bonaventure with a chance to make NIL of up to $80,000? Think about it St Bonaventure could be a dump which it isn’t and UB could have gold locker rooms but no NIL to offer. Most young athletes are taking the NIL money that is just reality. I don’t think Syracuse Orange can compete anymore same deal Jim Boeheim whining about NIL and transfer portals claims that is why the Duke coach Mike Krzyzewski  and the Villanova coach Jay Wright retired last season. If you don’t offer NIL you really don’t belong in Division I football or basketball anymore today in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

On 3/4/2023 at 4:10 PM, Bullsboys said:

This is what I’ve been saying for years. Supported decades of the bills being the worst in the league. Only truly showed up for the bulls when we were nationally ranked. Home games are quiet as shit all the time, we have zero home court advantage and a bunch of weak ass “fans”

Where are UB alums it’s there school not mine. Again many in the Buffalo community might have gone somewhere else to school like myself? Again I am one of UB Bulls hardcore supporter money wise for 30 plus years of season tickets. My goodness I can’t attend because of my health today and I still buy UB tickets to give to my family as birthday and Christmas gifts. I am not even a UB alum I am a Canisius alum. My brother in law 30 plus years UB season ticket holder he went to LeMoyne College in Syracuse where he met my sister.

UB alums excluding this board are terrible at donating and attending games after they graduated. Homecoming should be sold out once a year for a UB football game and you never see it. Actually attendance at homecoming is getting worse again. I don’t understand anything with this school. Good luck to UB basketball if Canisius upgrades there basketball facilities because Canisius has more tradition in the city of Buffalo especially as the only school that actually plays it’s basketball home games in the city of Buffalo. I said this for a while not just because I am a Canisius alum I believe it.

UB Bulls basketball got fans when Canisius Golden Griffins basketball downgraded from Key Bank Center to KAC. If Canisius College ever renovates KAC which they will at some point UB has major issues especially with basketball attendance issues. UB only solid base is UB football because it doesn’t have the competition of 3 other local schools basketball programs. UB basketball got more fans when Canisius College downgraded to the KAC from Key Bank Center and Buffalo fans like myself said no and went to UB Alumni Arena instead. If Canisius renovates to a Reilly Center basketball facility for the Griffs basketball?

If that happens I think UB Bulls basketball is back to East Coast Conference day’s attendance of 500 to 1,500 Buffalo fans a game at UB Alumni Arena. Because UB gained Griffs basketball fans like myself that said no to KAC. I would go to Key Bank Center games only for the rare Griffs basketball game there. I dropped my Griffs season basketball tickets when they moved full time to KAC. Then I bought UB season basketball tickets to go with my UB football season tickets already. I can tell you my health doesn’t allow it today but if I was still going a Canisius new facility I buy Griffs basketball season tickets with them again because that has always been the issue with Canisius basketball. Especially now with UB basketball is stuck on stupid with keeping Jim Whitesell. Forget Reggie Witherspoon he is getting fired after Tuesday Mount St Mary’s will beat Canisius College for back to back 20 loss seasons bye, bye Reggie Witherspoon gets fired. No way is Canisius College bringing back a back to back 20 loses coach. UB Bulls basketball needs to fire Jim Whitesell after Thursday loss to the Akron Zips in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

1 hour ago, UB Horns Up said:

I get there is no school involvement with NIL but the UB boosters have businesses locally they can’t set up deals with our top athletes instead of the goofy UB coaches that already make more than they are worth. I have a problem with UB saying big time and UB alums saying big time? But tiny St Bonaventure alums have NIL and so called UB doesn’t that isn’t big time. The Bonnies alums would be the first to admit they can’t compete with Power 5 schools but they at least try to be the best mid major basketball program. There is no real school spirit at UB like St Bonaventure that has been a problem for a long time at UB. 

I 100% agree. And it’s not the schools and coaches responsibility. A perfect example was Rondo Segu. Dude, for a mid major player, was a social star. Had many followers. Did he have any NIL deals? Like autograph signings. Or club appearances. Or sponsorships for local businesses. He was the perfect player to be used to market things. Yes we don’t have a booster culture that goes after players like The U does. So it falls more on the player to sell themselves in our case. Our alums don’t have deep pockets. If the players were smart they would take business classes and band together and form their own marketing/promotion agency while in school and playing ball. 

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

You also have to remember the NIL is still in its infancy. The only reason the big programs are ahead of the curve is they are transferring their formerly illegal activity into NCAA sanction legal activity. They already have things in place, they can now bring to the light what was in the dark. We have not had that, so local businesses and alum are going to need some to figure out the benefit. Looking at it from the Business perspective, outside of Segu, do we have any known presences on any of our teams that are going to generate business by eating their subs or selling their cars? You bring in spokespeople that are known and trusted that connect with the community. I see Snyder and some of the football guys doing camps and visiting schools, etc. which is great to get the brand out and maybe some butts in the seat, but for a business to pony up $10k or $50k or more, there has to be a return on investment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Where are UB alums it’s there school not mine. Again many in the Buffalo community might have gone somewhere else to school like myself? Again I am one of UB Bulls hardcore supporter money wise for 30 plus years of season tickets. My goodness I can’t attend because of my health today and I still buy UB tickets to give to my family as birthday and Christmas gifts. I am not even a UB alum I am a Canisius alum. My brother in law 30 plus years UB season ticket holder he went to LeMoyne College in Syracuse where he met my sister.

UB alums excluding this board are terrible at donating and attending games after they graduated. Homecoming should be sold out once a year for a UB football game and you never see it. Actually attendance at homecoming is getting worse again. I don’t understand anything with this school. Good luck to UB basketball if Canisius upgrades there basketball facilities because Canisius has more tradition in the city of Buffalo especially as the only school that actually plays it’s basketball home games in the city of Buffalo. I said this for a while not just because I am a Canisius alum I believe it.

UB Bulls basketball got fans when Canisius Golden Griffins basketball downgraded from Key Bank Center to KAC. If Canisius College ever renovates KAC which they will at some point UB has major issues especially with basketball attendance issues. UB only solid base is UB football because it doesn’t have the competition of 3 other local schools basketball programs. UB basketball got more fans when Canisius College downgraded to the KAC from Key Bank Center and Buffalo fans like myself said no and went to UB Alumni Arena instead. If Canisius renovates to a Reilly Center basketball facility for the Griffs basketball?

If that happens I think UB Bulls basketball is back to East Coast Conference day’s attendance of 500 to 1,500 Buffalo fans a game at UB Alumni Arena. Because UB gained Griffs basketball fans like myself that said no to KAC. I would go to Key Bank Center games only for the rare Griffs basketball game there. I dropped my Griffs season basketball tickets when they moved full time to KAC. Then I bought UB season basketball tickets to go with my UB football season tickets already. I can tell you my health doesn’t allow it today but if I was still going a Canisius new facility I buy Griffs basketball season tickets with them again because that has always been the issue with Canisius basketball. Especially now with UB basketball is stuck on stupid with keeping Jim Whitesell. Forget Reggie Witherspoon he is getting fired after Tuesday Mount St Mary’s will beat Canisius College for back to back 20 loss seasons bye, bye Reggie Witherspoon gets fired. No way is Canisius College bringing back a back to back 20 loses coach. UB Bulls basketball needs to fire Jim Whitesell after Thursday loss to the Akron Zips in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Yeah I agree that alum attendance is dismal. It’s been a big issue that people come to the buffalo area for college and then leave for elsewhere. UB is trying to start campaigning for people to stay in buffalo, things like ads on busses and whatnot. I’m from Rochester myself and don’t really watch local news here while I’m in school, so genuine question here. Do local stations ever talk about UB sports? Back home the sports people always talked about Syracuse, but do they do that here? North campus is a little bit of a hike for some people in buffalo, I feel like some exciting ads and news sections would be the only way to motivate the community to come.