Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

College Football heading for a "Super League"

27 minutes ago, DaBulls99 said:

The Big Ten and SEC didn’t even take a meeting. So looks like more just an opinion column than anything with traction. 

Once I read that it involved Gordon Gee, I rolled my eyes.

Relegation won't work for football...too much difficulty in scheduling and other things to overcome...and not enough "history/nostalgia" to make it worthwhile.  This ain't Aston Villa.

I do, however, eventually see a sort of "super league" happening in the next 5 - 10 years.  Whether it's called that is another story, but there will be the "haves" and "the rest".  The haves won't be as many as before, so P5 schools that struggle with the finances to make ends meet (even with the TV money) will be left out in the next iteration.  That's the part that will be different.    We have already seen the start with the Pac12 breakup.  I mean, Cal is now in the ACC...but if that breaks up (with the efforts of Clemson and Miami), Cal will be a good example of a school that, I'd wager, is not part of the "haves".