Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

CMU @ UB - 2/21/23 7:00 pm - ESPN+

Bluebird96

On 2/21/2023 at 11:43 PM, enrique14150 said:

It didn't take long for this to feel like the Bulls were going to cruise to a win.  Central only scored what, 2 points over the first 8 minutes or more?  It got to the point that we were desperately hoping to see the Bulls keep them under double digits for the first half (almost!)  Central's zone gave them some problems today but the Bulls hungrily kept a lot of possessions alive.  They hit them hard in transition when they had the chance.  UB was solid on defense, causing a lot of turnovers (17 steals!) and just mucking up the flow of Central's possessions.  Frankly this game could've been a LOT more lopsided.  UB had spells in the first half when they went cold from the floor (it opened up when they hit a couple on fast breaks) and in the second half when they started getting stupid with it and Whitesell called timeout.  The Bulls only shot 37% tonight.  I thought, a much better opponent would've beaten them....but then again, this opponent wasn't forcing them to be that good.  They didn't need to be.  It was a good game and a good win to have after the last couple.

Curtis - shooting was off for a while, but he was active on the boards.
Jack - 4-4 from the floor, a little fumbly with the ball though
Zid - the Wild Card. You get it all from him.  A tomahawk dunk or two; earns a charge and gets called for one (not today though); some sloppy, frantic passes; and oddly enough, he's usually really good from the line.  He's one of the best guys I've seen in a while here at stealing the ball.
Foster - is very ineffective outside, and they weren't giving him too many opportunities to drive to the net.  Another guy who's good at stealing it - he had one where he literally just took it out of a Central player's hands as the guy was driving to the net.
Adams - hit his three's, got his rebounds.  
Jonnivius - he still feels like he has a lot of potential.  Like he could be a Hardnett-type if he stays long enough and puts on some muscle.
Hardnett - like others, wasn't having an easy time of it going to the net.

Central - the glorious return of Central Miss-again!  Their entire demeanor most of this contest was "we don't care."  From the coaches to the players, they didn't seem all that bothered that they were reaching towards historic depths of ineptitude tonight.  My brother said, "that coach acts like he just got approved for tenure today."  The Bulls have issues, and the Bulls have limitations - but they act and play like they care.  This Chippewas team does not.  How about that unforced (as in, the Bulls weren't playing a press) ten-second violation in the first half.  0-for from three point range for the entire game.  Multiple air-balls.  We seriously saw better and more spirited performances this season from the D-2 and D-3 teams that came in here.

Crowd - I want to give credit to the half dozen folks in True Blue and the entirety of the band.  You are at least trying to have some fun and make some noise.  It's not your fault that the rest of the end zone can't be bothered to join in.  At least they're there. 

DJ's - really?  MC Hammer?  Black Box?  I wonder if we could get those actual artists to play here for less than what UB is paying these DJ's.

At this point, this team is what it is - an around .500 team that's clearly a level below the top couple teams in the MAC but on any given night, if the three's are dropping, they can pull a shocker.  I just don't think they can do that several nights in a row.  But they look like a group, staff and players, who are still working on getting better and getting it right.  We saw what it looks like on the opposite bench tonight when they're not, and that was pathetic.

I had a lot of fun watching this one tonight, making noise on foul shots in the hope that they could keep it to single digits a little longer, and I hope you did too.

We’re doing our best in true blue 🥲

• Like 1