Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

CMU @ UB - 2/21/23 7:00 pm - ESPN+

Bluebird96

UB Bulls will win at home tonight. These are the look look over there is UB Bulls basketball progress under Jim Whitesell by his UB defenders. Forget posting St Bonaventure Bonnies aren’t winning much more than UB Bulls as a defense for Jim Whitesell the Bonnies aren’t losing the way UB Bulls are there is some hope for next season. The Bonnies you can see real progress they play as a team a single unit. The Bonnies lost in OT 83-81 to George Washington Colonials down 18 with 9 minutes left in the second half but the Bonnies didn’t give up and roll over like this UB Bulls team that play for there individual points to help with offseason transfer portal time is what the star UB players are doing watch out for that because I see a all star game type of play at UB basketball but not much of a single unit of a team in my opinion.

The St Bonaventure Bonnies play against higher Atlantic 10 competition. The Bonnies coach Mark Schmidt did this thing called coaching full court press and trapping before George Washington got to half court. Face it UB Bulls bid against itself extending Jim Whitesell and we are stuck another two more years with the bum. At least with my Canisius Golden Griffins there is light at the end of the mediocre basketball coaches tunnel Reggie Witherspoon back to back 20 loss seasons that bum is finally so fired this offseason in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

3 minutes ago, xDerekRx said:

This.

As far as the Bulls go I gave up chasing the highs and lows of this season. The swings have been too wild. I just want to get to the tournament to see what happens one way or another.

100% agree with this. I’m over the regular season. Great we can beat the directionals. But then we can’t beat the top 3 teams. All of whom we have to play twice. Let’s just get to Cleveland and see how this team does in a survive and advance game

Edited by DooleyBull06

1 hour ago, Tee4three said:

Good defense by UB bu an ugly game so far 

Working for UB but overall sloppy all around 

Ugly is right. Good defensive effort by the Bulls but certainly aided by CMU missing 3 of their top 4 scorers. Might be the strangest 28-Pt win we’ll ever see. I don’t know if it was good defense on CMU’s part as much as bad shooting by UB to be held to 63 pts. But great ball distribution with 19 assists on 23 makes. On to the next, will be a much tougher game but good to get the win leading up to Toledo.

Edited by Bluebird96

1 minute ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

Very odd game but I'll take it any time UB holds an opponent to only 35 points! Next two games will be difficult tests at Toledo and NIU.

The Bulls did what they needed against a short handed team.  They were all talking d after the game.  Hopefully the Bulls keep that mentality especially for the NIU game that will likely determine the 6/7 seed.   

• Like 3

It didn't take long for this to feel like the Bulls were going to cruise to a win.  Central only scored what, 2 points over the first 8 minutes or more?  It got to the point that we were desperately hoping to see the Bulls keep them under double digits for the first half (almost!)  Central's zone gave them some problems today but the Bulls hungrily kept a lot of possessions alive.  They hit them hard in transition when they had the chance.  UB was solid on defense, causing a lot of turnovers (17 steals!) and just mucking up the flow of Central's possessions.  Frankly this game could've been a LOT more lopsided.  UB had spells in the first half when they went cold from the floor (it opened up when they hit a couple on fast breaks) and in the second half when they started getting stupid with it and Whitesell called timeout.  The Bulls only shot 37% tonight.  I thought, a much better opponent would've beaten them....but then again, this opponent wasn't forcing them to be that good.  They didn't need to be.  It was a good game and a good win to have after the last couple.

Curtis - shooting was off for a while, but he was active on the boards.
Jack - 4-4 from the floor, a little fumbly with the ball though
Zid - the Wild Card. You get it all from him.  A tomahawk dunk or two; earns a charge and gets called for one (not today though); some sloppy, frantic passes; and oddly enough, he's usually really good from the line.  He's one of the best guys I've seen in a while here at stealing the ball.
Foster - is very ineffective outside, and they weren't giving him too many opportunities to drive to the net.  Another guy who's good at stealing it - he had one where he literally just took it out of a Central player's hands as the guy was driving to the net.
Adams - hit his three's, got his rebounds.  
Jonnivius - he still feels like he has a lot of potential.  Like he could be a Hardnett-type if he stays long enough and puts on some muscle.
Hardnett - like others, wasn't having an easy time of it going to the net.

Central - the glorious return of Central Miss-again!  Their entire demeanor most of this contest was "we don't care."  From the coaches to the players, they didn't seem all that bothered that they were reaching towards historic depths of ineptitude tonight.  My brother said, "that coach acts like he just got approved for tenure today."  The Bulls have issues, and the Bulls have limitations - but they act and play like they care.  This Chippewas team does not.  How about that unforced (as in, the Bulls weren't playing a press) ten-second violation in the first half.  0-for from three point range for the entire game.  Multiple air-balls.  We seriously saw better and more spirited performances this season from the D-2 and D-3 teams that came in here.

Crowd - I want to give credit to the half dozen folks in True Blue and the entirety of the band.  You are at least trying to have some fun and make some noise.  It's not your fault that the rest of the end zone can't be bothered to join in.  At least they're there. 

DJ's - really?  MC Hammer?  Black Box?  I wonder if we could get those actual artists to play here for less than what UB is paying these DJ's.

At this point, this team is what it is - an around .500 team that's clearly a level below the top couple teams in the MAC but on any given night, if the three's are dropping, they can pull a shocker.  I just don't think they can do that several nights in a row.  But they look like a group, staff and players, who are still working on getting better and getting it right.  We saw what it looks like on the opposite bench tonight when they're not, and that was pathetic.

I had a lot of fun watching this one tonight, making noise on foul shots in the hope that they could keep it to single digits a little longer, and I hope you did too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, enrique14150 said:

DJ's - really?  MC Hammer?  Black Box?  I wonder if we could get those actual artists to play here for less than what UB is paying these DJ's.

Danny white is taking suggestions for next year’s tailgate concert series. Kool and the Gang has dibs on homecoming! 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, ChubbyHubby said:

As much as I hate the music that the DJs play, I've realized over the last few games that some of the older songs they play are because that's what the dance team has choreograped their routine to.

Not sure this is exactly true.

Maybe one song a game is clearly selected by the Dazzlers.  It's when they are alone on the court and one of the dancers raises her arm to single to start of the music. The rest of the dances they pick based on the tempo of the songs being played. 

Yes, I've been to way too many games and watched them way too much of the dancers.

Next year, my goal is to remember which hat the ball is under from just watching the first few seconds. 

Yes, I like to entertain myself during breaks.

Speaking of breaks, anybody notice the 3 timeouts in the early second half within 35 seconds of game play. That sure slowed the game down.

Edited by bullsbball

4 hours ago, rma said:

Danny white is taking suggestions for next year’s tailgate concert series. Kool and the Gang has dibs on homecoming! 

While Three Dog Night has brought in the largest tailgate crowd, I prefer local cover bands for the tailgates.  Chicago Authority, Nerds Gone Wild, Yaghtfathers, A-List...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rma said:

That was awful. I think one was a ref injury but still terrible.

It was nearly 5 minutes of game play before UB called a timeout (at 12:30). At that point, they already blew through the under 16 timeout and was close to the under 12 timeout.

So, it was a UB timeout, followed by the under 16 timeout and then the under 12 timeout. 

So, I don't think the refs had an injury. But they might have been doing some knitting during the timeout like the rest of us.

• Like 1