Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Hey Admin, what's up with your obsession?

dutchcountry7

On 9/22/2018 at 10:22 AM, trueblue32 said:

I didn't realize Bucky Gleason had burner accounts on here lol. I'm shocked to see such resentment for Danny White when he was clearly good for our program. The NYBI campaign failed because of y'all not because of White. People love to complain about White and Greene yet they both got better jobs elsewhere so clearly people in industry thought highly of their efforts here, and I'll rate their opinions as more valuable than yours lol.

You're not entirely wrong, but you're not entirely correct, either.  The idea behind NYBI was not a bad idea.  What was a bad idea was twofold.  Leaving "Buffalo" nearly out of it entirely, and, maybe the worst logo in college history.  Yes, I'm sure there were worse, but let's face it, it was friggin ugly.

On ‎9‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:29 AM, dutchcountry7 said:

No point in focusing on the past.

Let's just say that we should not keep brining up Danny White.  Move forward.  Let's talk about things going on now with the program.  Or things in the future.

Bringing him up isn't as great as some people here think and actually alienates some key stakeholders that are vital to the success of these programs going forward.  There is nothing to be gained by speaking about him. 

He was a great hype man.  There is no doubt in that.  But it is important to remember that many hype men over sell and under deliver and if you're one of those people who were on the wrong side of those things it can leave a bad taste in your mouth and make you more reluctant in the future.  

Let's focus on the great football and basketball seasons we are in and stop talking about the ex-ex-Athletic Director. 

Yes, my god thank you.  We've finally moved on from a divisive time and there are still some who want to bring it up again, who want to have the same freaking arguments all over again.  It wasn't fun or productive then, it's massively less so now.

• Like 1

Anyone who has spent money on marketing knows that you don't spread your influence (and dollar) thin by trying to market to a vast audience. You focus on saturating one location and cultivating that.  When you have won over Buffalo (something the program hasn't yet done), you spread out and start to try to win over the Southern Tier, and move to compete in Rochester.  

1) This is not how marketing works, at least not in the 21st century. You identify target markets. Then you direct your message to the target. It's hard to define our market as Buffalo, when I assume a majority of our students come from outside of Buffalo.

Also, this changes vastly based on what you are targeting. Are you targeting eyeballs, corporate dollars, deep-pocket donors, state funding, or turnstile fans. If turnstile, yea Buffalo is your target. If the other 3, you're better off targeting the entire state.

2) Look at the map. NOW IGNORE RUTGERS because it destroys the narrative.

3) You listed Syracuse, Louisville, Miami, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Boise State, and Memphis as models to follow, but I don't see Pitt, Cincy or Memphis on the map, why not?

Bringing him up isn't as great as some people here think and actually alienates some key stakeholders that are vital to the success of these programs going forward.

4) How does it alienate key stakeholders?

5) How are these stakeholders vital to the success of these programs going forward?

6) Why does the appreciation of Danny White turn them from supporters to ignorers? 

He was a great hype man.  There is no doubt in that.  But it is important to remember that many hype men over sell and under deliver and if you're one of those people who were on the wrong side of those things it can leave a bad taste in your mouth and make you more reluctant in the future.  

7) What did he over sell?

8 ) What did he under deliver?

9) Who was on the wrong side of Danny White's promises?

10) Make you more reluctant to do what?

Now after re-reading this thread, I'm going to list all the arguments you laid forth as to why we shouldn't like White:

A) White really liked to promote himself. (Personally, I believe an AD should be the chief promotional officer, his successes are departmental)
B) You don't believe he was our savior. (I personally only praise Turner Gill as my one true savior, for he sacrificed 4 years coaching Mack, to die in Kansas for our sins )
C) The NYBI was horrible, not the effort to use NY or promote UB as NY's school, but the use of the hashtag NYBI. (I liked the I, made me feel like I was part of the team)
D) He didn't take responsibility for failures. (I can rock with this, although failures are rarely singular)
E) H
e wasted money (but was it money he raised?)
F) He led to a lack of progress.  (sure?)
G) He did some things poorly, things that build a program that keep coaches from getting poached. (what were/are these things?)