Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Unintended Consequences of NIL & Transfer Portal

I went in-depth regarding some of the unintended consequences of NIL and the transfer portal and why it's absolutely vital that both be regulated in the near future. I also discuss why that's easier said than done with the NCAA being essentially powerless to do anything at the current moment. Let me know your thoughts!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Big 4 Hoops Blogger said:

I went in-depth regarding some of the unintended consequences of NIL and the transfer portal and why it's absolutely vital that both be regulated in the near future. I also discuss why that's easier said than done with the NCAA being essentially powerless to do anything at the current moment. Let me know your thoughts!

Unless the P5 teams think it’s a problem, it won’t change. If they do, it will change but it will be geared to benefit them the most 

• Like 1

I haven’t listened yet but I plan to. Without having listened, it’s only a matter of time before those giving money wisen up and realize that they aren’t getting enough in return for their investment. Now we don’t know what the players do off the court when they receive NIL deals (what obligations they have and fulfill) but I can’t imagine boosters being happy pumping millions into a program that doesn’t win. Therefore I can see the funders essentially saying to a player, you want this money…you need to stay at this school for X amount of years. And the only way you can leave is graduation, coaching change or pro entry. Essentially NIL deals will become contracts and you will have full fledge minor league ball. 

37 minutes ago, UBinMD said:

Unless the P5 teams think it’s a problem, it won’t change. If they do, it will change but it will be geared to benefit them the most 

There's several leaders within P5 programs that think some of these issues need to be addressed as well. The biggest problem is that the NCAA is powerless. They tried to force 2nd time transfers to sit out a year but that was struck down in court.

I don't think the majority of the P5 schools care about the money aspect but I do believe there's some anger about the unlimited transfers and players attempting to use NIL against in ways that are detrimental to their own schools.

8 hours ago, DooleyBull06 said:

I haven’t listened yet but I plan to. Without having listened, it’s only a matter of time before those giving money wisen up and realize that they aren’t getting enough in return for their investment. Now we don’t know what the players do off the court when they receive NIL deals (what obligations they have and fulfill) but I can’t imagine boosters being happy pumping millions into a program that doesn’t win. Therefore I can see the funders essentially saying to a player, you want this money…you need to stay at this school for X amount of years. And the only way you can leave is graduation, coaching change or pro entry. Essentially NIL deals will become contracts and you will have full fledge minor league ball. 

Good thread dealing with some similar stuff.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MuchMany said:

Good thread dealing with some similar stuff.

On one hand, we say these are kids and should have choice, etc. Now they need to be slick businessmen or hire agents or Uncle Rico to negotiate deals, etc. for them. Is the actual sport even important anymore? Good Lord.

• Like 1