Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

What’s wrong with BSU?

We are too caught up in the name.  I hated the NYBI and am glad it died.

UCLA is a horrible name.  It stands for "The University of California, Las Angeles" and yet they are a bigger athletic brand than the school who calls their sports teams "Cal."

UCF is a horrible name.  It stands for "The University of Central Florida" and is one of the biggest G5 sports brands despite regional names supposedly being a death sentence for branding purposes.  Somehow that logic doesn't apply to the University of Southern California though...

Can't build a brand around a city name?  Do you think all of the Syracuse fans in NYC or around the country actually attended the school?  Is Cincinnati a struggling program because they aren't "The Ohio University" despite being the oldest school in the Ohio University System?  Ohio University doesn't get a big boost from their name, do they?

Calling the school "Buffalo" is fine.  People will cheer for the school if you give them a reason to cheer for the school.  The name isn't the problem.

• Like 1

I’m also aiding to the detailing of the thread but hey I live in Poughkeepsie and I follow UB lol. I went to UB though I just found it funny this stinky city got mentioned lol. While I agree most big schools (especially with major football programs) use their state I think using New York would just never catch on. Buffalonians are too proud of being from Buffalo and before you expand to the whole state you need the city behind you. There are a few teams that use cities or other names like Purdue, Baylor, and Miami that have big followings and I think if there’s enough success behind the teams people will latch on. 

Although it kinda pains me I agree we could change the At to Of and it would make things easier..

As for BSU I hope they go on a little run and get back into the top 100 in the NET. They’re just outside right now and would be beneficial for the MAC as a whole since the conference is having a good year