Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB Roster Flow Project (1999-2024)

Buffalo MBB Roster Flow Project (1999-2024) (view on desktop)

I got inspired by Blue Collar U (and summer boredom) to start this project I've been thinking about for a bit. I wanted to be able to see how UB's roster turns over through the years, who played with who, how coaching changes affected things, which recruiting classes contributed and which came up empty, etc. With all the roster fluctuation in modern CBB, it's even more interesting to see compared to 5-10 years ago.

So I created a spreadsheet that tracks rosters and minutes played, from the team GH3 is assembling back to 1999, 'Spoon's first year (from Lloyd McVeigh back to Maliso Libomi lol). This is just a couple days of playing around, but I like the product so far. I have some more features in mind, but I'd love to get people's general feedback, and also any suggestions for future versions or corrections to the data. The early 'Spoon years don't have any stats online that I can find, so if anyone can fill in the blanks, alert me to false/missing players, missed redshirt arrivals, etc I'd appreciate it. Feel free to reply here, message me here, or leave comments on the Google Sheet.

Imo this is the kind of thing that an intern in the AD's office should have created a long time ago. It's good for program history/continuity and alumni relations (aka "maintaining a program" over time). Maybe someday this could be linked from the official website - when it's a little more polished, I hope to get it to the people who do this stuff for a living.

Go Bulls

Edited by MuchMany

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

I got inspired by Blue Collar U (and summer boredom) to start this project I've been thinking about for a bit. I wanted to be able to see how UB's roster turns over through the years, who played with who, how coaching changes affected things, which recruiting classes contributed and which came up empty, etc. With all the roster fluctuation in modern CBB, it's even more interesting to see compared to 5-10 years ago.

So I created a spreadsheet that tracks rosters and minutes played, from the team GH3 is assembling back to 1999, 'Spoon's first year (from Lloyd McVeigh back to Maliso Libomi lol). This is just a couple days of playing around, but I like the product so far. I have some more features in mind, but I'd love to get people's general feedback, and also any suggestions for future versions or corrections to the data. The early 'Spoon years don't have any stats online that I can find, so if anyone can fill in the blanks, alert me to false/missing players, missed redshirt arrivals, etc I'd appreciate it. Feel free to reply here, message me here, or leave comments on the Google Sheet.

Imo this is the kind of thing that an intern in the AD's office should have created a long time ago. It's good for program history/continuity and alumni relations (aka "maintaining a program" over time). Maybe someday this could be linked from the official website - when it's a little more polished, I hope to get it to the people who do this stuff for a living.

Go Bulls

This is good stuff, well done!

Amazing to think Brock was in the building for 6 years and played 686 total minutes. Felt like he had more impact than that. Even in the Oats years, hits vs misses still feel 50/50 when you look at it. But the hits were big hits.

Looking forward to future content.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MuchMany said:

Go Bulls

A few comments...

1.   You did do a lot of work on this!
2.   I'd have thought that there is some freeware or template that could do this (maybe some Gantt charts), but sometimes you just need to bend a spreadsheet to your will.
3.   The redshirt color is just a lighter blue.  Maybe make the redshirt color...red.  And make the dismissal something else (yellow?)
4.    The column with the total minutes has shading that is a function of the value, but it isn't mentioned anywhere.
5.    What about the overall and conference records along the top as well?  It helps contextualize the year.
6.    I am not sure it is worth it (or would make it too busy), but maybe incorporating something about positions as well.
7.    I sometimes see something like this for bands that have been around a long time and have had many, many members.  Here's an example (see the bottom of the page):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lynyrd_Skynyrd_members

26 minutes ago, UB92 said:

A few comments...

1.   You did do a lot of work on this!
2.   I'd have thought that there is some freeware or template that could do this (maybe some Gantt charts), but sometimes you just need to bend a spreadsheet to your will.
3.   The redshirt color is just a lighter blue.  Maybe make the redshirt color...red.  And make the dismissal something else (yellow?)
4.    The column with the total minutes has shading that is a function of the value, but it isn't mentioned anywhere.
5.    What about the overall and conference records along the top as well?  It helps contextualize the year.
6.    I am not sure it is worth it (or would make it too busy), but maybe incorporating something about positions as well.
7.    I sometimes see something like this for bands that have been around a long time and have had many, many members.  Here's an example (see the bottom of the page):  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lynyrd_Skynyrd_members

1. I got in a pretty good work flow, so it went quicker than you'd think. Won't require much updating over the years, so the heavy lift is done.
  2. I've worked with Gantt charts a lot in my career, this felt like more of just a fun freestyle spreadsheet task like you mentioned.
  3. Good call, will change.
  4. Figured that was self-evident and didn't want to clutter things with explanations.
  5. Good call, will add.
  6. Might be worth adding, but most people viewing the chart will remember their positions I think.
  7. I think that's essentially what I've done, but if you're seeing something I'm not lmk.

Thanks for checking it out and your observations.