Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

NIL Discussion

UB92

NIL has been discussed in some other threads, but I thought it might be valuable to start a thread specific to NIL.  Perhaps what is known, overall, what is going on at UB, at other MAC schools, etc.     I started another thread to discuss UB MBB at 1 - 9 and it, somehow, went off the rails into areas not intended (let's just say that).  Hopefully this one can stay (mostly) on topic.

I read about this one recently...

"The 1890 Initiative launched in October 2022 is an ambitious Nebraska-focused collective that could shake up the already crowded Cornhusker NIL space. Former Husker great Matt Davison partnered with Nebraska businessman Tom Peed and Shawn Peed to form The 1890 Initiative. As part of the launch, the group is taking over Athlete Branding & Marketing, as ABM intends on ceasing operations at the end of 2022. ABM was the first local collective to offer NIL opportunities to Husker athletes, and it has represented dozens of football and volleyball players since August 2021. The Peeds say they will provide a “generous annual contribution to 1890, allowing for 100% of all additional contributions to go directly to Nebraska student-athletes.” Nebraska played its first football game against the Omaha YMCA in November of 1890, and the collective’s name is a throwback to that game. The collective, while not officially linked to the university, does appear to have the support from the athletic department. “This collective will give our young men and women another opportunity in the NIL world,” Husker athletic director Trev Alberts said."   

From:  https://www.on3.com/nil/collectives/the-1890-initiative-174/

Why I am adding this one here is because I often have read on this board about how the Athletics Department is unrelated to what happens in NIL, which I think is as naive as it gets.   Trev Alberts could have declined to comment, but did not.

Related...Dylan Raiola will be moving from Georgia to Nebraska.

Look I going to tell it like it is. If UB Bulls wants to win in present mid major college sports in football and basketball. UB donors/alums need to find a way to get each player $1,500 to $2,000 dollars a season. If UB donors refuses or can’t raise the NIL UB will continue the way UB football and UB basketball is presently today. I am not getting into right or wrong with NIL it is the way it is today presently.

I am a UB Bulls fan regardless but the St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball are paying NIL to the men’s basketball players that is why they reload so quickly. The Bonnies also made a $1 million dollars a year salary commitment to head coach Mark Schmidt. UB Bulls goes cheap and end up with Maurice Linquist and George Halcovage it is what it is in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

12 hours ago, UB Horns Up said:

Look I going to tell it like it is. If UB Bulls wants to win in present mid major college sports in football and basketball. UB donors/alums need to find a way to get each player $1,500 to $2,000 dollars a season. If UB donors refuses or can’t raise the NIL UB will continue the way UB football and UB basketball is presently today. I am not getting into right or wrong with NIL it is the way it is today presently.

I am a UB Bulls fan regardless but the St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball are paying NIL to the men’s basketball players that is why they reload so quickly. The Bonnies also made a $1 million dollars a year salary commitment to head coach Mark Schmidt. UB Bulls goes cheap and end up with Maurice Linquist and George Halcovage it is what it is in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Your first statement about NIL is spot on. UB doesn't need a lot of NIL money to compete at the mid-major level. 

UB did not go cheap however. The MAC and UB doesn't have the money to pay coaches 7 figure contracts. Its not going cheap. The money just isn't there. 

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe this will be a stupid question / post, but I was thinking that an entity like ESPN has a vested interest in the MAC and other mid major conferences being competitive.  I am thinking that if UB athletics continues at the bottom of D1 / FBS I really have no interest in subscribing to ESPN+ and they will lose subscribers.  Now ESPN can't just fund the NIL of all the mid majors without having to raise their price / cut expenses elsewhere, but maybe there is an in between level that helps them continue to have quality games that attract viewers, keeping subscribers.

Edit:  a thought, maybe those ESPN+ promos change to spotlight top players in the conference, so instead of Derek Jeter you see Sy Chatman, Enrique Freeman, or Anderson Mirambeaux.

Edited by DocCas86

On 1/13/2024 at 9:31 AM, DocCas86 said:

Maybe this will be a stupid question / post, but I was thinking that an entity like ESPN has a vested interest in the MAC and other mid major conferences being competitive.  I am thinking that if UB athletics continues at the bottom of D1 / FBS I really have no interest in subscribing to ESPN+ and they will lose subscribers.  Now ESPN can't just fund the NIL of all the mid majors without having to raise their price / cut expenses elsewhere, but maybe there is an in between level that helps them continue to have quality games that attract viewers, keeping subscribers.

Edit:  a thought, maybe those ESPN+ promos change to spotlight top players in the conference, so instead of Derek Jeter you see Sy Chatman, Enrique Freeman, or Anderson Mirambeaux.

I like where you are going  I think your general point is corporate sponsorship and if Alnutt and Tripathi can get them on board to contribute to a collective

1 minute ago, NC_UBfan said:

I like where you are going  I think your general point is corporate sponsorship and if Alnutt and Tripathi can get them on board to contribute to a collective

Yes exactly, corporate sponsors including  any local businesses.   Got to tap into as many sources as allowed.  Is there anything preventing this?

1 hour ago, DocCas86 said:

Yes exactly, corporate sponsors including  any local businesses.   Got to tap into as many sources as allowed.  Is there anything preventing this?

Creativity, passion and support is the only thing stopping Alnutt. Most of the schools in MAC have functioning collectives supporting NIL deals for their student athletes except for UB. This is an old school 80s arms race and being left behind will lead to basement dwelling in all the majors sports….

On 12/21/2023 at 9:34 AM, everlast2504 said:

Your first statement about NIL is spot on. UB doesn't need a lot of NIL money to compete at the mid-major level. 

UB did not go cheap however. The MAC and UB doesn't have the money to pay coaches 7 figure contracts. Its not going cheap. The money just isn't there. 

But it is at St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball? UB donors need to really relook at things because I find that hard to believe in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

4 hours ago, DocCas86 said:

No but remember what I said over a decade ago the knock on UB athletics department is it is a state school. The St Bonaventure Bonnies are private so you have to work harder to turn over every rock so to speak to raise money. UB culturally are protected by mother New York State so you don’t have to turn over every rock to raise money like your school staying open relied on it. It’s a lazy New York, California state mentality why communism fails over capitalism. It’s why New York State and California are losing population today. The state can’t be everything for everyone it’s not possible money gets stretched no new money is coming in and you end up a mess. You need to work for it that becomes a problem at UB where athletics employees are too comfortable in their jobs for life because of tenure just doing enough but nothing more than just doing enough. Private schools are a completely different animal you can be fired if there is no money or you aren’t carry your weight bringing in new revenue streams in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

UB culturally are protected by mother New York State so you don’t have to turn over every rock to raise money like your school staying open relied on it. It’s a lazy New York, California state mentality why communism fails over capitalism.

The Bisons haven't made the playoffs in 20 years and your best friend Bob Rich (net worth $10 billion) is about to ask New York State for $100 million in corporate welfare to renovate Sahlen Field

Get bent.

36 minutes ago, UB Horns Up said:

No but remember what I said over a decade ago the knock on UB athletics department is it is a state school. The St Bonaventure Bonnies are private so you have to work harder to turn over every rock so to speak to raise money. UB culturally are protected by mother New York State so you don’t have to turn over every rock to raise money like your school staying open relied on it. It’s a lazy New York, California state mentality why communism fails over capitalism. It’s why New York State and California are losing population today. The state can’t be everything for everyone it’s not possible money gets stretched no new money is coming in and you end up a mess. You need to work for it that becomes a problem at UB where athletics employees are too comfortable in their jobs for life because of tenure just doing enough but nothing more than just doing enough. Private schools are a completely different animal you can be fired if there is no money or you aren’t carry your weight bringing in new revenue streams in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Well, said. We still have people from when Bill Maher was the interim AD. Why leave?

Edited by TheCommish

5 minutes ago, RapidsFan said:

Mike Billoni not only tries to astroturf his braindead thoughts through an alias, he also has an army of sockpuppet accounts to feign the illusion that someone actually agrees with him.

Easily on the short list of the worst people in this city.

Me? I disagreed on the politics issue but he's right about the lifers at UB if that is who you're referring too.

Edited by TheCommish

On 1/16/2024 at 10:55 PM, RapidsFan said:

The Bisons haven't made the playoffs in 20 years and your best friend Bob Rich (net worth $10 billion) is about to ask New York State for $100 million in corporate welfare to renovate Sahlen Field

Get bent.

The Bisons won the IL title in 2004 and made the playoffs in 2005 and 2021. 

But my point is that making the playoffs and winning titles in the minor leagues has more to do with your parent clubs than local management. After all, if you're any good, you move up during the season.