Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Kent State 2022 Schedule

verandaman

I am know to grumble about teams only having one (of four) OOC games at home.  UB will have only one home OOC game in 2022, for example.  Yes, I inderstand the need for "pay day" games.  But Kent State may be taking it to new heights (?) next year.

I saw an announcement today that they will play Oklahoma (in Norman, OK) next year.  Add that to existing scheduled OOC games at Athens, Georgia versus Georgia Bulldogs and Seattle, Washington versus the Huskies.  I'm not sure I can remember any MAC team ever scheduling three Top 25 (?) P5 teams in the same season.

If you assume they schedule a home FCS team, and win, they will need to go 5-3 in the MAC to be bowl eligible...and we know that they won't beat UB.

They will make a pot full of money though.

A subtle example of the haves and havenots model at work. 

3 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

This typical for Kent State.

2021:

2019:

Arizona  State Auburn Wisconsin

2018:

Illinois Penn State Mississippi

This is how they pay for the overall athletic budget.

I guess I hadn't really paid much attention to their schedule before.  That, and playing OU and Georgia in the same year, caught my eye.  It's possible that all three road OOC opponents could be Top 10 in 2022...talk about Murderers Row!

• 4 weeks later...

This is part of the reason there has been talk about merging Akron and Kent.  They both need money so badly.

But it isn't likely to happen because they both want to be the identity that remains after the merger.

The shame is that this sets them up for failure.  It takes their confidence and bangs up their roster before they get into the MAC.

Honestly, they would probably be better off not scheduling a FCS and just taking an extra buy week.  That would give them a much better shot in the MAC.  But since bowl eligibility is based on total record it would make it hard for them to get a bowl invite.

Tough road...