• 14 - Calvin Betts
  7. 7. 7 vs 10

• 7 - Louis Farris
    • 10 - Morley Townsend
  8. 8. 2 vs 15

• 2 - CJ Massingburg
    • 15 - Mark Bortz

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/20/2018 at 04:57 AM

My guy Modie Cox goes up against his teammate Rasaun Young. 

Modie was fast. Super fast. He might have been the quickest player in D1 at the time. His problem was that his outside shot was almost non existent. 

Rasaun was a strange player. A 6-2 guard who got a lot of his points by posting up. He was not quick or that athletic, but he just somehow scored. 

13 hours ago, skrabukes said:

I'm glad to see that no one voted for Evans. When you choose to leave, you get knocked off badly in round 1 by a Mac POY!

I thought about it for a second because Shannon was pretty great but you just can’t compete with Mitchell SWATT and his sportcenter worthy BLUNK

15 hours ago, 121Merrimac said:

Thank you Admin.  My vague memory of him was highlighted by the drug charges.  While it didn't change my vote, the quick search I just did, uncovered his work with Winning Because I Tried, and my opinion of Modie has changed for the better.

I know it's a 1 vs 16, but this should be very close.  I thought of voting for Modie, but went with Rasaun Young mainly because Rasaun is the leading scorer at UB.

First Modie Cox was pretty much the first big time recruit at UB after UB returned to D1.  It was a big deal back in '91 for Modie to come to UB.  He was Turner Battle before Turner Battle.  I knew Modie personally and I can't stress what a good kind hearted person he was and is probably still.  I met him in English class in my freshman class.  I had no idea he was this basketball player because he was so soft spoken and humble.  Needless to say I was really saddened to hear about his drug charges.  I think we all experience moments of weakness.  

Thanks for highlighting Modie's work with Winning Before I tried. -> http://winningbecauseitried.com/our-staff/

I'm pasting his bio here for all to read.

MODIE COX, FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT

Modie Cox, a Niagara Falls native, and also a LaSalle High School graduate, was a stand out basketball player (Mc Donald’s Honorable Mention and WNY Player of the Year), leading his teams to several state championship appearances. In 1988 Cox was a member of the 27-0 State/ Federation championship team. He was recruited by many division I colleges and ultimately decided to attend the University at Buffalo on a full athletic scholarship. At UB he continues to hold records in steals and assists, ranking him third in school history. Cox, also has the highest career assist total in UB’s Division 1 era. His 8 steals in a game still stands as a record. Cox holds two of the top ten highest single season assist marks at UB. After UB, Modie went on to play professional basketball in both Europe and Africa averaging 15 points and 9 assists per game. In 2004 he returned home to play for the Buffalo Rapids and Silverbacks of the American Basketball Association.

Modie worked as a substitute school teacher in the Buffalo Public School District while pursuing a masters degree in Urban Planning. After working in the school system for 5 years, Cox went on to pursue his dream of motivating youth. He was the president of the “Do Your Best, Never Quit” community inititive prior to going out on his own and starting “Winning Because I Tried” which caters to the entire New York State.

While going on speaking engagements, holding professional forums, youth summits and leadership workshops, Cox was also the Director of Program Development with the Buffalo Police Athletic League (PAL) where his responsibilities include developing new programs, enhancing existing programs, supervising interns as well as many other duties. In 2011 he resigned from his position with the PAL and took on his current postion, as Recreational Aide, with the City of Buffalo Parks and Recreation Department.

Acclaimed by Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown as “a person to be commended for your tireless efforts to help our community and its youth”, Modie Cox has thrown his heart and passion into youth mentorship for nearly two decade “Winning because I Tried” is more than just a catch phrase to Modie, it is a way of life, declaring it his “life duty” as expressed in his mission statement.

Niagara Gazette 11/4/09- “I want to encourage young people to believe in their dreams, to never give up Cox said. I know there’s times circumstances will prohibit a kid from moving forward, lack of fathers, mothers or whatever. I want the kids to know that their life is in their hands and they can become what they want when the believe in it.”

In 2013 Cox became the first African American, Executive Director, of the Police Athletic League (PAL) of Buffalo.  In his short tenure Cox hit the ground running implementing new programming, creating sustainable funding, adding jobs and establishing a much needed 21st century approach.  After two and a half years at PAL Cox, decided to resign from the PAL to continue with his passion of working with youth across the State of New York.

In 2015, WBIT partnered with the County of Onondaga (Syracuse, NY) providing emotional and learning skills for some of the City’s toughest youth, who find themselves detained at Hillbrook Detention Facility.

In 2017 WBIT will look to cement a relationship with Coordinated Care Service, Inc. (Rochester, NY) to deliver services for young men transitioning back into their communities from detention or placement.

Modie is the proud parent of his son Kaleb.