Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

UB/Stanford women’s game

John

An exciting game against a very very good Stanford team but a loss  nevertheless.  The positives: UB played a great game on the defensive side with relentless defense causing 19 turnovers and held their own on the rebounding side even though Stanford’s frontline was 6’3, 6’3 and 6’4. A nice crowd of 3400 that was into the game. The minuses: Shooting woes continue shooting 27% from the field, 20% from the 3 point line and 64% from the free throw line. With no other big scorer other than Dillard it will be tough to beat any team even in the MAC. Dillard needs to play the entire game and only shor 2-10 from the 3 point line and did seem to run out of gas in the last 5 minutes of the game. Other than than Hemphill and Morrison there are no other players on the front court. Wilkins a woeful 1-8 and 1-6 from 3 point line. Other than Alanna Smith with 30 points and the inside presence of Nadia Fingall the rest of the Stanford players were kept in check. But a loss is a loss and unless UB starts to hit more shots it is going to be a tough season. Keeping the faith Kane continue to support the team. Go Bulls!!!!

It was a great effort by the UB women! They played hard but unfortunately couldn't put it together offensively. They forced up a lot of three's and struggled to generate solid looks.

That said, they did a great job defensively, keeping in the game. Stanford struggled to get anything going the entire afternoon. It was great seeing a big-time opponent come to Alumni Arena and see a solid crowd show up.

18 minutes ago, dutchcountry7 said:

Over 3,000 in attendance!  That rivals the men’s games. 

Impressive!

A decent amount of that was schools that brought their kids to the game (Stanford's coach's alma mater seems to have brought the entire school).  However I'm not discounting the public turnout.  I think that was the first time I saw people in the 300's for a women's game.  We also got the last of the shirt giveaways 20+ minutes before tip.

FLJ is building a heck of a WBB culture here in Buffalo.  I'm excited to see it grow.

16 hours ago, rma said:

A decent amount of that was schools that brought their kids to the game (Stanford's coach's alma mater seems to have brought the entire school).  However I'm not discounting the public turnout.  I think that was the first time I saw people in the 300's for a women's game.  We also got the last of the shirt giveaways 20+ minutes before tip.

FLJ is building a heck of a WBB culture here in Buffalo.  I'm excited to see it grow.

I agree that Coach Jack is trying to build positive vibes with this team which kid totally different than the last four years. But she will need to hit on some big time prospects for this momentum to keep going. Winning breeds excitement and confidence. This team is hurting for consistent players who can score other than Dillard. Wilkins and Jones were never full time starters and shooters. After Dillard leaves there are no players close to replacing her. Hanna Hall does not show the consistency to become the point guard even remotely close to  Reid from last year. No other point guard is even playing in games. After Hemphill and Morrison there is no strong front court player with any strength and scoring ability. UB being picked to win the MAC east was based on what they have done the last few years. The one positive is UB continues to play with defensive tenacity so that should keep them in some MAC games. Dillard has not been shooting well the last few games because she has no other player to take some of the pressure off of her. Keeping the faith and hoping the coaching staff come up with some other offensive strategies with the team they have. Go Bulls!!!!