Buffalo Bulls - UB Fan Forum

Tax dollars for college football stadiums

rma

On 4/9/2022 at 9:29 AM, Sportsfan said:

Is it common for states to provide funding to private schools?

For New York the answer is yes.  That is because there was not a really state system for higher education until 1948 when SUNY was formed and brought together the State Normal schools around the state under a single umbrella.

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, UB77 said:

I doubt that UB could get a sports donation like this, but what caught my eye was the reduced capacity (35,000) of a Big 10 stadium in a market like Chicagoland. It looks spectacular to me.

https://rebuildryanfield.com/

So then you have doubts about UB Bulls FBS football long term viability in major college football? Because understand this is where college football is heading. There aren’t special rules for UB football or NYS or the MAC. This isn’t just the Big Ten Conference either the Mountain West Conference San Diego State Aztecs Snapdragon Stadium same size 30,000 seats loaded with fan amenities. At some point UB the school is going to have to make a decision about UB football. I am good whatever they decide because clearly UB isn’t going to build anything because of the way the money people controlling our state money see things like major college sports like football. If UB athletics chooses to give up the 30 year experiment with Division 1 athletics drop to Division 3 athletics again that is fine. I still have the Little Three basketball schools that are private Division 1 to watch as a Buffalo fan. That is why St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball will always be a higher level than a UB Bulls basketball you don’t have to hear things like maybe UB should drop to Division 3 because money isn’t ever available to fix the stadium at St Bonaventure Bonnies basketball. Look at the Bonnies basketball social media practice started a message from Mark Schmidt it is night and day different from Jim Whitesell. Again I want UB to stay Division 1 because I am a fan but if they shutdown the UB program what can you do. I did my best for UB they are just no that into big time athletics which there is nothing wrong with that but if it happens good luck. BSF is running away from Division 3 athletics no interest in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• 4 weeks later...

I don't get why UB and NYS didn't work more with the Bills for a shared stadium in Amherst? Could have killed two birds with one stone.

Even now, I think UB should play in Orchard Park. How much longer are we going to wait for the students to buy in? In the meantime you could be doing 20-30K playing in Highmark Stadium, and whatever the new place will be called. 

You can charter a bus for the 100-200 or so students that want to go to games.

I believe the better option is an investment in UB stadium to make it fan friendly, with maybe a yearly game at the new stadium (once built).

It seems the investment funding required could be years (if ever) away.  UB has the worst stadium in the MAC.  Track, soccer lines, 20 year old scoreboard, etc.

22 hours ago, promotherobot said:

I don't get why UB and NYS didn't work more with the Bills for a shared stadium in Amherst? Could have killed two birds with one stone.

Even now, I think UB should play in Orchard Park. How much longer are we going to wait for the students to buy in? In the meantime you could be doing 20-30K playing in Highmark Stadium, and whatever the new place will be called. 

You can charter a bus for the 100-200 or so students that want to go to games.

There is also plenty of room to have the stadium on campus as well

6 hours ago, Sportsfan said:

I believe the better option is an investment in UB stadium to make it fan friendly, with maybe a yearly game at the new stadium (once built).

It seems the investment funding required could be years (if ever) away.  UB has the worst stadium in the MAC.  Track, soccer lines, 20 year old scoreboard, etc.

Look at San Diego State Aztecs Snap Dragon Stadium you will see UB Stadium isn’t worth renovating. UB Stadium needs to be horse shoe around the UB field house tight with all chairback seating. Fans don’t want metal bleachers anymore. You the club seating moved down dugout style with a donation restaurant with access to the UB Bulls players as they come onto the field separate by see through glass. As the UB Bulls run through the tunnel to the field. Press conference would be viewable for high end school donors. Total local food options for the UB Bulls fans. It is $100 million it is $350 million just to keep up with the top of the G5 never mind Power 5. I worry UB doesn’t end up FCS or Division 3 again in my opinion. UB Horns Up! Go Bulls! Let’s Go Buffalo 

7 hours ago, everlast2504 said:

There is also plenty of room to have the stadium on campus as well

You'd think but not really. Take a look at Google Earth. The UB North Campus, and Amherst in general, have really filled up. The current location might be the best location. Tear it down, play in Orchard Park one or two seasons, and build a new stadium where the current one sits. (And maybe build a dome!)

Edited by promotherobot

4 hours ago, promotherobot said:

You'd think but not really. Take a look at Google Earth. The UB North Campus, and Amherst in general, have really filled up. The current location might be the best location. Tear it down, play in Orchard Park one or two seasons, and build a new stadium where the current one sits. (And maybe build a dome!)

No dome!  Football is meant to be played in the elements.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

No dome!  Football is meant to be played in the elements.

9 hours ago, Sportsfan said:

Agree, especially in Buffalo, and a real home field advantage if UB ever gets out of the MAC

Lol, your right. No other MAC teams play in the cold! And UB is never getting out of the MAC. No one wants us.

Meanwhile those tens of fans at mid-week MACtion games make a lot of noise.

Why did we build a field house if football is meant to be played in the cold?

Edited by promotherobot

Not sure the investment needed to drop the field, remove the track, and provide soccer their own pitch will be coming soon, let alone a new domed stadium in Amherst, NY.

Got to say, the basketball area is much nicer than the football field.  I think the football players stuff is good, but for fans, Alumni is a better venue.

Edited by Sportsfan

11 hours ago, BrooklynBull said:

Not if you want to play the game the way it was meant to be played.

Hopefully the fan experience investment is coming soon.  Hard to build a larger fan base with the current amenities.  Knowing how much has already been invested in the last 10 years, the next 10 will be interesting (scoreboard, lower football field, remove track, new soccer pitch, new track facilities, football weight room, etc.).  A lot to fund with so few "Big Donors"

Edited by Sportsfan

On 10/24/2022 at 4:29 PM, promotherobot said:

https://www.callisonrtkl.com/projects/university-of-buffalo-campus-master-plan/

Best I can find. Part of North Campus is a large portion of unused land on the other side of Millersport. 

2 hours ago, everlast2504 said:

https://www.callisonrtkl.com/projects/university-of-buffalo-campus-master-plan/

Best I can find. Part of North Campus is a large portion of unused land on the other side of Millersport. 

There's a lot of wetlands on campus. Not a lot of buildable land. Maybe they can blow up Kunz Stadium and build one there?